Kenny Williams Leaving?

GreatScott82

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 01:54 AM)
There are rumors out there stating Kenny Williams will finally step down from his post on Monday.

Can this actually be true?

If true then the dominoes will start to fall into place and a rebuild will commence ....I would not be surprised if Sale was the first to go.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
If true then the dominoes will start to fall into place and a rebuild will commence ....I would not be surprised if Sale was the first to go.

I wonder who made the Shields move, was that a KW move or a Hahn move? If it's KW's move, then I wonder if that had any hand in him getting fired (not just that trade alone though).

I doubt Sale would be the first to go, but I do think they'd move guys like Quintana, Robertson and Cabrera...not that there's a lot of value for the last two guys.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
There are rumors out there stating Kenny Williams will finally step down from his post on Monday.

Can this actually be true?

This needs to happen. Thanks for 2005 Kenny, but his way of running the org just does not work anymore.

Will be interesting to see what happens here. Given all the talk a month back or whenever it was by JR about everyone being on the same page together, this would be a surprise. I wonder if there was so much disagreement that JR finally decided it was time or if KW is kind of resigning (or if this is just a bunch of nothing).

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
I wonder who made the Shields move, was that a KW move or a Hahn move? If it's KW's move, then I wonder if that had any hand in him getting fired (not just that trade alone though).

I doubt Sale would be the first to go, but I do think they'd move guys like Quintana, Robertson and Cabrera...not that there's a lot of value for the last two guys.

I'm sure whatever reason is cited for leaving will be accompanied with vague statements that we'll be left over analyzing. Williams is very saavy when it comes to saying a whole lot of nothing. Us, as fans, will take "I'm deciding to move on to the next chapter in our life" as "See he's admitting fault with these recent teams!"

Personally, I think it's reasonable to assume everything is a possibility now. Saying it's doubtful Sale will be the first to go, or lesser players will be traded instead, is the old style of thinking. Forget about it, nothing can be predicted -- and that's what I love. Atleast now there's the possibility that with KW gone things will change. I'm now optimistic; more than I've been in years. Maybe nothing will be different and we will finally be able to point to Hahn as being the sole person responsible for our ineptness, but for NOW, I'm happy that for once we're going against predictability

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The Shields trade should not get anyone fired. What did we give up in that deal? It hasn't worked out for us so far, but we essentially just signed Shields to a 3 yr/$27M deal or whatever it turned out to be. If he can give us 200 healthy innings next year, it isn't going to damage this organization like a trade-that-gets-someone-fired typically would.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
The Shields trade should not get anyone fired. What did we give up in that deal? It hasn't worked out for us so far, but we essentially just signed Shields to a 3 yr/$27M deal or whatever it turned out to be. If he can give us 200 healthy innings next year, it isn't going to damage this organization like a trade-that-gets-someone-fired typically would.

What good are 200 healthy but historically terrible innings?

The trade alone isn't enough to get someone fired, but added on top of years of team futility (and I'm not even taking into account the midseason debacle, which I've always believed was a battle of Hahn/KW) it was the final straw. The White Sox don't have the payroll flexibility to absorb 9 million dollar oopsies

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 11:20 PM)
What good are 200 healthy but historically terrible innings?

The trade alone isn't enough to get someone fired, but added on top of years of team futility (and I'm not even taking into account the midseason debacle, which I've always believed was a battle of Hahn/KW) it was the final straw. The White Sox don't have the payroll flexibility to absorb 9 million dollar oopsies

Because if he's pitching 200 innings, he's averaging over 6 IP per start and it's hard to stay in a game that long if you're getting shelled. Even if he somehow manages to repeat his -0.9 WAR performance in 2017, it's still more valuable to do see that over 200 innings versus the 10 other major league pitchers who put up a -0.9 WAR or worse this season without even half the amount of IP that Shields made it through.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
... it isn't going to damage this organization like a trade-that-gets-someone-fired typically would.

Shelby Miller, come on down... You're the next contestant on "The Deal is f***ing Wrong!"

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
Shelby Miller, come on down... You're the next contestant on "The Deal is f***ing Wrong!"

BINGO.

Swanson - 0.7 WAR in 36 games.

Inciarte - 3.6 WAR in 129 games

Blair - (-)0.8 WAR in 14 starts

For

Miller - 0.6 WAR in 20 starts

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Personally, I like KW and his try to win every year mentality. To me, that's what you should do. His biggest mistake was not getting along with, or coming to some kind of workable situation with Guillen. He let it become personal and that's started the downfall.

As for his "bad" trades. The only one of significance I can think of is the Swisher trade. There may be some more that have slipped my mind but nothing of significance. I know there was a lot of much wasted hand-wringing over Daniel Hudson and Holmberg but those guys really did nothing.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
BINGO.

Swanson - 0.7 WAR in 36 games. @ 505k

Inciarte - 3.6 WAR in 129 games @ 523k

Blair - (-)0.8 WAR in 14 starts @ 507k

For

Miller - 0.6 WAR in 20 starts @ 4.35 mm

Completed.

:)

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
Personally, I like KW and his try to win every year mentality. To me, that's what you should do. His biggest mistake was not getting along with, or coming to some kind of workable situation with Guillen. He let it become personal and that's started the downfall.

As for his "bad" trades. The only one of significance I can think of is the Swisher trade. There may be some more that have slipped my mind but nothing of significance. I know there was a lot of much wasted hand-wringing over Daniel Hudson and Holmberg but those guys really did nothing.

Well he traded Gio Gonzalez twice..

Edited by soxforlife05