There are plenty of White Sox fans

Carpe Diem

The problems have been so friggin obvious that I'm starting to feel the only way they will be solved is by new ownership. They include:

-The stadium is located in a terrible part of town and lacks originality. Build a stadium (from their own pockets) on the Lake with the Skyline featured as well and I will bet anything attendance BOOMS.

-Kenny Williams is still here. He is he equivalent to an NFL coach who runs the Tampa 2 with no adjustments. He struck gold ONE TIME with his backwards ways and has been average at BEST since. He needs to go ASAP.

-EMBRACE YOUTH. I know the Chicago sports media/radio is full of insufferable Cubs shills, but the reality of the matter is they didn't event the philosphy of blowing it all up and starting from scratch. It's common f***in sense.

Fix these issues and the White Sox will be a formidable franchise.

Edited by Carpe Diem

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 01:20 AM)
The problems have been so friggin obvious that I'm starting to feel the only way they will be solved is by new ownership. They include:

-The stadium is located in a terrible part of town and lacks originality. Build a stadium (from their own pockets) on the Lake with the Skyline featured as well and I will bet anything attendance BOOMS.

-Kenny Williams is still here. He is he equivalent to an NFL coach who runs the Tampa 2 with no adjustments. He struck gold ONE TIME with his backwards ways and has been average at BEST since. He needs to go ASAP.

-EMBRACE YOUTH. I know the Chicago sports media/radio is full of insufferable Cubs shills, but the reality of the matter is they didn't event the philosphy of blowing it all up and starting from scratch. It's common f***in sense.

Fix these issues and the White Sox will be a formidable franchise.

Lakefront is public property, and will never be on the table. Plus public transportation and parking make it a no go. As to embracing youth and mentioning the Cubs, the White Sox have a younger roster. The Cubs have one of the oldest rotations in baseball.

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
The stadium is located in a terrible part of town and lacks originality. Build a stadium (from their own pockets) on the Lake with the Skyline featured as well and I will bet anything attendance BOOMS.

Oh, is that all? Should be a simple change, lol.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
I wonder what a new stadium in Naperville or in the Hoffman Estates area do to the fanbase.

Off the top of my head there is no room for it in Naperville.

Edited by brett05

Why does everyone always say 35th and the Dan Ryan is a "terrible part of town?" Maybe this was true in the 90s. The projects over on Federal are all gone now, just empty lots. Bridgeport is still Bridgeport, it's not really that bad, just an ordinary neighborhood. Bronzeville on the other side of the expressway is halfway gentrified now, and the only way it's not fully gentrified is because the 2008 recession slowed everything down.

Is the White Sox in a neighborhood like Wrigleyville? No, and it never will be, that ship sailed 20-something years ago. Really the only thing that irks me about the current stadium is that it faces southeast instead of northeast, so the skyline isn't visible in center field like it should be.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Why does everyone always say 35th and the Dan Ryan is a "terrible part of town?" Maybe this was true in the 90s. The projects over on Federal are all gone now, just empty lots. Bridgeport is still Bridgeport, it's not really that bad, just an ordinary neighborhood. Bronzeville on the other side of the expressway is halfway gentrified now, and the only way it's not fully gentrified is because the 2008 recession slowed everything down.

Is the White Sox in a neighborhood like Wrigleyville? No, and it never will be, that ship sailed 20-something years ago. Really the only thing that irks me about the current stadium is that it faces southeast instead of northeast, so the skyline isn't visible in center field like it should be.

I don't know that he meant crime-wise as much as ... footprint wise. I go to bridgeport sometimes but because of the parking around it and it mostly being residential, you are going to comiskey to go to comiskey.

That said with rising rents and idiot policy I definitely think bridgeport will start to see more and more moving there.

Gentrifying Bronzeville makes it better?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
I don't know that he meant crime-wise as much as ... footprint wise. I go to bridgeport sometimes but because of the parking around it and it mostly being residential, you are going to comiskey to go to comiskey.

That said with rising rents and idiot policy I definitely think bridgeport will start to see more and more moving there.

Sure, but where on the south side would you build a stadium like that? You can't actually build on the lakefront. Let's say Hyde Park, or Kenwood, those neighborhoods would be much more like Wrigleyville. How we gonna do that?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Gentrifying Bronzeville makes it better?

That's a whole separate discussion, but for the purposes of what I'm saying, I mean adding more housing developments and businesses, which seems to be the main issue people have with the location of the stadium, and the "ghetto" everyone envisions there mostly not existing the way they think it does anymore.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Sure, but where on the south side would you build a stadium like that? You can't actually build on the lakefront. Let's say Hyde Park, or Kenwood, those neighborhoods would be much more like Wrigleyville. How we gonna do that?

I think the ship has sailed, frankly. The cool stadiums were built:

- In new cities that did use a stadium as a form of urban planning

- 100 years ago as a city was built around it

The sox just need to hope it gets more dense around them. But think about how far you have to walk to get anywhere around the stadium. The White Sox should do its best to help IIT get back to glory and bridgeview and bronzeville build into it. It has 3 train lines that should be prime for dense housing/business but the highway causes a lot of weird issues with it.

One thing I have noticed is the difference between how the neighborhoods are sold. If anything bad happens around Wrigley Field, it happened in "Lakeview" or "Boystown" I even heard a report about the increase in robberies around Wrigley Field in Lakeview happening during the playoffs. But if something good happens, it is "Wrigleyville". When you drill down to the actual numbers, way more stuff happens around Wrigley Field than in Bridgeport.

The one realistic place I have heard suggested where a stadium actually could have been built in the late 80's was the south loop. The rest are ideas from crackpot fans who have no grasp on reality. No, there will never be a lake front stadium. Friends of the Parks would have that shutdown in about two seconds. There is no "should have". It is like saying I "should have" married a supermodel and invented google. Yeah, reality called.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
The one realistic place I have heard suggested where a stadium actually could have been built in the late 80's was the south loop. The rest are ideas from crackpot fans who have no grasp on reality. No, there will never be a lake front stadium. Friends of the Parks would have that shutdown in about two seconds. There is no "should have". It is like saying I "should have" married a supermodel and invented google. Yeah, reality called.

I thought you did invent google?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
The one realistic place I have heard suggested where a stadium actually could have been built in the late 80's was the south loop. The rest are ideas from crackpot fans who have no grasp on reality.

Kind of comforting to read a post from SS2K5.. never changes, always consistent with a very unique POV..

You never miss a chance to take a shot at whiny, disloyal Sox fans, do you?

On what research and actual facts, (based on opinions from urban planners and stadium architects and designers), do you base your opinion that the south loop was the ONLY realistic place for a Sox stadium?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Kind of comforting to read a post from SS2K5.. never changes, always consistent with a very unique POV..

You never miss a chance to take a shot at whiny, disloyal Sox fans, do you?

On what research and actual facts, (based on opinions from urban planners and stadium architects and designers), do you base your opinion that the south loop was the ONLY realistic place for a Sox stadium?

Wait, I have been reading stadium proposals from urban planners and stadium architects on Soxtalk? Who knew. Though I do appreciate the irony of your response...

Even if we got a new owner, there would not be a new stadium. If the new owner demanded one, he/she still would fail and the team would have to move. We've already discussed the stadium thing to death. It's not happening ... ever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 07:59 PM)
Even if we got a new owner, there would not be a new stadium. If the new owner demanded one, he/she still would fail and the team would have to move. We've already discussed the stadium thing to death. It's not happening ... ever.

Whoever is the next owner of the White Sox will likely have a wealth of at least $5 billion. If they truly wanted they could buy Lakefront property and foot the $750 mil stadium. I know a lot of arrogant and snobbish economists will say that is stupid, but you know what their reward will be? A highly highly respected legacy throughout Chicago-land that will last forever.

We need an owner who is a fan first, businessman second.

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Whoever is the next owner of the White Sox will likely have a wealth of at least $5 billion. If they truly wanted they could buy Lakefront property and foot the $750 mil stadium. I know a lot of arrogant and snobbish economists will say that is stupid, but you know what their reward will be? A highly highly respected legacy throughout Chicago-land that will last forever.

No,they couldn't. You cannot buy lakefront property in Chicago. And you can't have a stadium that faces slightly west.

The site of the old USS South Works plant is available. Accessibility may be an issue though.

http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/south-works/

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/steel/sou...fd0769ebd5.html

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)

Humblebrag