James Shields officially not opting out

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
It fascinates me that the Cubs can spend $184 million on a bum like Heyward and not miss a beat while the Sox only owe Shields approximately 1/7th of that and are struggling big time with payroll.

One of those organizations is a lot better at talent evaluation and development than the other.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I'd be surprised if Heyward isn't back to himself next year. Whether that's worth all that money is certainly debatable but I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have a comeback year.

Yeah, I agree. Just because he stunk up the joint this year doesn't mean the entire signing is a bust.

It fascinates me that the Cubs can spend $184 million on a bum like Heyward and not miss a beat while the Sox only owe Shields approximately 1/7th of that and are struggling big time with payroll.

If we had a way of acquiring talent other than by spending money, the Shields contract wouldn't actually be much of an issue.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
180 IP of 4.80 ERA is all the Sox can ask for from Shields. If they can give him that, he's worth his deal.

I guess pitching is scarcer then even I thought if these numbers make him "worth" anything.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I guess pitching is scarcer then even I thought if these numbers make him "worth" anything.

Mark

Almost any pitcher that can give you 180 innings of even mediocre performance is worth something. Those numbers would be right in line with what Danks did in 2014. He ranked 81st that year among starters with a 1.7 fWAR. Doesn't seem that impressive but considering there are 150 starters at any given time in MLB he definitely had some value.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
It's amazing to me that this trade did not cause any of our front office seats to warm but Reinsdorf has such PTSD over Jaime Navarro.

maxresdefault.jpg

Because our front office bases this on memories of the former good player. We figure we can dumpster dive and get lightning in a bottle.

Member when James Shields was good. I memba. Memba the 1990s Indians. Memba Griffey Jr.

Edited by southsideirish71

One team trades 1.5 years for Samardzija for their SS of the next decade. Another team, coming off of 72 wins, then trades (a SS with 27 homers) for 1 year of Samardzija. And about 5 more contrasting moves like that, plus a series of useless signings explains some things.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
It certainly would be if you completely ignore how the rest of their team is built. Every team that's willing to spend at that level is going to make a few mistakes.

How much did they blow on Edwin Jackson?

It helps when you lose 96 games and 3 million people still show up.

Edited by Dick Allen