In My Words: White Sox booth is Benetti's bliss

Panerista

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:02 AM)
http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/225...opicId=27118146

Say what you want about Benetti, but he is as enthusiastic about the White Sox and working for the organization as anyone. Hope he continues to be successful and has a solid career with the White Sox

Here's a vote for Benetti. I love him. I worship Hawk but even I can't take many more of the games with the crabby version of Hawk. If he's happy I'm happy. If he's know it all Hawk and acting crabby, Stoney gets quiet and it's hard to listen to those games.

Benetti forever! The happy Hawk forever! The crabby Hawk ... ugh.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
Hard to read, and hard to watch.

You watch Hawk, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Keith Olbermann just tweeted out tonight how much he enjoys Benetti's work so far for the Sox.

Because he's fantastic relative to the drivel on the other broadcast. He was probably the best part of last season. He has a lot of room to improve, but braindead Hawk is unlistenable now

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Keith Olbermann just tweeted out tonight how much he enjoys Benetti's work so far for the Sox.

Even more of a reason not to like him. Olberman is like nails on a chalkboard and as arrogant as they come.

My biggest issue with Benetti is he needs to quit being so corny with silly jokes. A couple during the broadcast is OK but there are way too many.

He is OK but not a fan at all yet.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Even more of a reason not to like him. Olberman is like nails on a chalkboard and as arrogant as they come.

My biggest issue with Benetti is he needs to quit being so corny with silly jokes. A couple during the broadcast is OK but there are way too many.

Love that. I don't like this guy, so I don't like a guy the guy I don't like likes

So if Olbermann liked the Beatles, you would be more encouraged to dislike the Beatles

Edited by Sox-35th

I like Bennetti, sometimes I cringe, but I don't think people appreciate the time it takes to develop into a role like this.

For one, I like how he continues to experiment with the broadcast. That discussion in the 8th inning of a blowout between Bennetti and Stone around Matt Barnes was interesting. Podcast-baseball level interesting to me. And that is the perfect time to discuss that, and you know they decided to try and fit something like that in.

Sox Math, Hide and Seek, whatever. You may begin to find them corny but he is trying to find engaging things in the broadcast. I know he's going to get better. The one thing that annoys me is he raises his voice a little too often, and when I'm listening in another room hard to differentiate between regular and important plays.

Anyway I also like Farmer and DJ.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
Here's a vote for Benetti. I love him. I worship Hawk but even I can't take many more of the games with the crabby version of Hawk. If he's happy I'm happy. If he's know it all Hawk and acting crabby, Stoney gets quiet and it's hard to listen to those games.

Benetti forever! The happy Hawk forever! The crabby Hawk ... ugh.

Gotta agree with you on when Hawk is happy, I'm happy...well said! I think Stone gets quiet when Hawk goes into "know it all mode" because Stone spends most of his broadcasts with Benetti in that mode--and LOVES it. What I like about Hawk and Stone is this...their content comes from experience. Hawk more the social side of the game, Stone more the analytical side. Like it or not, you definitely hear more of the lesser known stories/thoughts of the game with them calling. I still feel like Benetti is a walking Google search when it comes to content--it's surface and widely known content that is saturated with corny puns. I think he's better when he talks about HIS actual experiences and his own thoughts--it forces him to be less cliche. His talents are easier to see when he's being REAL and genuine--which I believe his enthusiasm is very genuine when the Sox succeed--at least it sounds like it. Before I make a judgement on him, I'd like to hear more Jason Benetti and less Google. The best broadcasters GENERATE their own content rather than surf the internet and Twitter for talking points.

I go back and forth. Sometimes he legitimately makes me laugh, and other times I hate his stupid one liners and attempts at jokes. He isn't a baseball guy, so he doesn't have much to add in that regard.

I like Hawk more, but I do agree that Hawk clearly isn't as good as he was a few years ago. All in all, I'd say Benetti is fine, and will probably continue to improve.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I like Bennetti, sometimes I cringe, but I don't think people appreciate the time it takes to develop into a role like this.

For one, I like how he continues to experiment with the broadcast. That discussion in the 8th inning of a blowout between Bennetti and Stone around Matt Barnes was interesting. Podcast-baseball level interesting to me. And that is the perfect time to discuss that, and you know they decided to try and fit something like that in.

Sox Math, Hide and Seek, whatever. You may begin to find them corny but he is trying to find engaging things in the broadcast. I know he's going to get better. The one thing that annoys me is he raises his voice a little too often, and when I'm listening in another room hard to differentiate between regular and important plays.

Anyway I also like Farmer and DJ.

YES! Original content--on the spot analysis instead of regurgitation of mindless twitter facts. I know there's a lot of dead time to fill over the course of the season, but I'd like to hear more of this type of discussion.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
He isn't a baseball guy, so he doesn't have much to add in that regard.

How many PBP guys are baseball guys?

And Bennetti did a lot of work in the minors as a broadcaster and that is a tough job because the people in that role are essentially the team's PR person. I would say that he's pretty qualified.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)

I agree, and he doesn't do that when he's on ESPN for CBB.

I don't mind Jason, he's better than Hawk (who isn't at this point) but he's got room to improve.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
Love that. I don't like this guy, so I don't like a guy the guy I don't like likes

So if Olbermann liked the Beatles, you would be more encouraged to dislike the Beatles

Now tell me what else you like so I can be more encouraged to dislike that too. :headbang