Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
With the Winter Meetings just days away (starting on the 10th), I thought we should do a predictions thread for our beloved White Sox. Please list the trades, signings, moves you think the Sox will make next week, including any Rule 5 selections.

-One of Avi and Abreu gets moved. Don't really know the where for who. I may come back to this later.

-Sox take Nestor Cortes in Rule 5 Draft. Very thin on lefties in the pen, will probably lose Guerrero. He's also started some games in the minors so he can be a spot starter when we try to give guys extra rest.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
1) Hahn trades both Garcia and Abreu.

2) Hahn then announces that he will bring back Adam Laroche and Jeff Keppinger and they will bat in the middle of the order for 2018.

3) Hahn declares his secret Cubs agenda, renames the Sox the Chicago Orphans

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
I doubt the Sox trade Avi or Abreu before Stanton gets moved.

I am assuming that if he doesn't accept a trade by the end of the first day of winter meetings those teams that were interested will move on.. They'd have to.. At least the Cards would since they're respectable without him and can sign other FA to contend. The Giants I guess can keep waiting.

1.) Sox sign Hector Rondon to a 2 yr, $11 MM deal with a mutual option for a third year

2.) Sox sign Tommy Hunter to a 2 yr, $9 MM deal

3.) Sox draft Nestor Cortes in the Rule 5 draft

Edited by Dunt

Free Agents

-Sign Hector Rondon to a 1 year, $5M deal w/ incentives

**Sox reunite him with his former manager & offer first crack at the closer’s job (incentives based on games saved)

Trades

-Sox trade IF Carlos Sanchez to the Brewers for 3B Lucas Erceg & 2B Isan Diaz

**Milwaukee fills their 2B hole with a cost-controlled asset, Sox buy low on two minor league infielders with upside

Rule 5

-Sox select Kohl Stewart in 1st round

**Great athlete with sinking stuff (huge plus at The Rate) who just might be able to stay healthy in a bullpen role

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Free Agents

**Sox reunite him with his former manager & offer first crack at the closer’s job (incentives based on games saved)

Trades

**Milwaukee fills their 2B hole with a cost-controlled asset, Sox buy low on two minor league infielders with upside

Rule 5

**Great athlete with sinking stuff (huge plus at The Rate) who just might be able to stay healthy in a bullpen role

I love the idea of Rondon, maybe with an option or two

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Free Agents

Trades

Rule 5

I see no way the Brewers would agree to that deal, but I would be so for it if it happened

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
I see no way the Brewers would agree to that deal, but I would be so for it if it happened

Just depends on how valuable you believe his defense to be. If he truly is a 2 WAR player going forward, he’s going to provide quite a bit of surplus value over his remaining four years of control. This is just going to be quick and dirty, but let’s say he’s worth $64M (2 WAR x 4 x $8M) but will only get paid $20M over that same period. We’re talking about roughly $44 in surplus value right there. I think that gets you two high upside guys in A+ coming off down years, but again, the Brewers would have to view Sanchez’s defense as being elite.