Sox not in teams watching Otani

southsider2k5

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise. They consciously chose Luis Robert. And as much as I want Otani, I'm totally okay with the decision, because the Sox weren't going to be able to be anything other than extreme longshots to land Otani anyway.

I've been following Japanese baseball the past several years, and I've seen a decent amount of Otani (I subscribe to Pacific League TV, their online streaming service). He is no joke as a hitter. If there's ever someone who could legitimately make a non-gimmick run at two-way player, it's him. The word on him has ALWAYS been that he doesn't care about the money and he just wants to compete at the highest level. Some may remember also that the DOdgers actually agreed to terms with him as an amateur out of High School, but there was a fair amount of controversy, as the NPB agreed to the posting system partly so that MLB teams would NOT poach all of their best talent before it had a chance to blossom in Japan. Supposedly, Hokkaido convinced Otani to back out of the Dodgers offer on the strength of two primary conditions: (1) Otani would be allowed to be a two-way player, and (2) when Otani decided he was ready to jump to the MLB, Hakkaido would let him go, no questions asked.

All signs are pointing that if he feels he's ready, he WON'T wait until he's 25 and can sign a FA deal. And if that's true, every team not in IFA-penalty prison will have the cash to sign him, so he'll be able to choose exactly where he wants to play. Some say he prefers the west coast, some say hge prefers the cache of the Yankees, others say he'll go to whoever let's him hit.

Regardless, unless the White Sox were the only team willing to let him hit, it doesn't seem like they would have anything at all to offer that another team couldn't beat. They wouldn't be able to outspend anyone because of the new CBA. So, I think it made total sense for them to focus on the Latin American stud, where they had a pipeline and community to lure him in, and they were able to force the issue with a big check.

Too bad -- Otani is going to be fun. But they made the right call, IMO.

Not sure how Otani fits in with the Dodgers desire to get under the cap but with their history of Japanese players and willingness to spend money it's hard to see a team being more attractive than the Dodgers. Being the best team in baseball doesn't hurt either.

Isnt he somewhat limited to AL teams or NL teams without a 1st baseman if he insists on staying a hitter, too? Cubs have rizzo and LA has bellinger.

It will be interesting to see what an AL team would do with the dh while he pitches. Put a dynamite ss or cf as the designated fielder? It will be fun.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
Not sure how Otani fits in with the Dodgers desire to get under the cap but with their history of Japanese players and willingness to spend money it's hard to see a team being more attractive than the Dodgers. Being the best team in baseball doesn't hurt either.

We certainly don't know for sure that either the Dodgers or Yankees will decide to get under the Tax this year. One of them wins the World Series and that could change their thinking for next year. They're both in position to, but they may throw that out the window as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)

If I am not mistaken , if he is posted he cannot get big money right away. Many see the Yankees as front runners for Otani but the Yankees as of now can only offer around 4.65M in a signing bonus . plus the $20M posting fee to Otani's team . I know the White Sox have traded away some of their bonus pool. No one is sure how much. Realistically then Otani can sign with any team all within a few million of each other according to how much bonus pool money they have. My point being that even the Sox despite not looking at him should be in the hunt for him and the only way to possibly get him is to offer him the chance to be a starting pitcher and starting hitter which many clubs may not be willing to do.

With the Sox basically having no payroll now it might be a mistake not to pursue him . It will boil down to his personal preference more than the money. Sure the Dodgers and Yankees may have the advantage being spotlight cities of MLB but I wouldn't rule out the opportunity to be what he wants to be as a motivating factor.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Unless he signs for penalty-box money, the Sox literally can't get him because they blew past the cap with Robert.

I don't think he'll sign anywhere that he can't hit, and I don't think it's likely that a team will let him play in the field. IMO, the early frontrunners have to be Texas and NYY.

But who knows -- anything can happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
We certainly don't know for sure that either the Dodgers or Yankees will decide to get under the Tax this year. One of them wins the World Series and that could change their thinking for next year. They're both in position to, but they may throw that out the window as well.

Money shouldn't matter -- the most he can get if he comes this year or next is something like $8m. He turned 23 this year.

Otani would be stupid to come over, financially that would be a terrible decision.

Not only he only gets a dime for signing but the worst thing is that he is under control for 6 years meaning at least 4 years of s***ty pay. Actually he makes now in japan as much per year as he would make in his first 3 years combined in mlb.

If he has any brain or his agent has he stays two more years in japan and then signs a 300m deal.

Of course he could get injured but don't forget he makes more in japan now than the mlb minimum so even in that case he would be better off staying in japan.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 2, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Unless he signs for penalty-box money, the Sox literally can't get him because they blew past the cap with Robert.

I don't think he'll sign anywhere that he can't hit, and I don't think it's likely that a team will let him play in the field. IMO, the early frontrunners have to be Texas and NYY.

But who knows -- anything can happen.

Literally can't get him ? He can still sign for 300K can't he ? I know it sounds ridiculous but in the context of the highest amount he can be offered it's not a big difference. If he becomes a major leaguer right away wouldn't his minimal salary be added to the bonus pool money and he would be under control for the normal amount of time? A promise to let him attempt to be an everyday player and starting pitcher seems like something that other teams wouldn't promise. Also do we think part of the offers to him will promise to extend or renegotiate his contract or is that not kosher ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 3, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
Literally can't get him ? He can still sign for 300K can't he ? I know it sounds ridiculous but in the context of the highest amount he can be offered it's not a big difference. If he becomes a major leaguer right away wouldn't his minimal salary be added to the bonus pool money and he would be under control for the normal amount of time? A promise to let him attempt to be an everyday player and starting pitcher seems like something that other teams wouldn't promise. Also do we think part of the offers to him will promise to extend or renegotiate his contract or is that not kosher ?

The league said they would be trying to prevent this, but its kinda hard to figure out exactly how they are going to determine if things were pre-negotiated or not, especially for a team like the White Sox which just signed a guy without a full year of service time to an extension.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
If I am not mistaken , if he is posted he cannot get big money right away. Many see the Yankees as front runners for Otani but the Yankees as of now can only offer around 4.65M in a signing bonus . plus the $20M posting fee to Otani's team . I know the White Sox have traded away some of their bonus pool. No one is sure how much. Realistically then Otani can sign with any team all within a few million of each other according to how much bonus pool money they have. My point being that even the Sox despite not looking at him should be in the hunt for him and the only way to possibly get him is to offer him the chance to be a starting pitcher and starting hitter which many clubs may not be willing to do.

With the Sox basically having no payroll now it might be a mistake not to pursue him . It will boil down to his personal preference more than the money. Sure the Dodgers and Yankees may have the advantage being spotlight cities of MLB but I wouldn't rule out the opportunity to be what he wants to be as a motivating factor.

The White Sox cannot pay him more than $300K. That's it. That's the rule. He's not coming here.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 4, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
The league said they would be trying to prevent this, but its kinda hard to figure out exactly how they are going to determine if things were pre-negotiated or not, especially for a team like the White Sox which just signed a guy without a full year of service time to an extension.

Hey maybe there was an ulterior motive to giving Anderson that contract. Call it the Otani Plan. It sets a precedent that you can extend a players contract with minimal servicetime where the league didn't step in and void it.

I know I am delusional but just because the most the Sox can offer is $300K shouldn't mean they shouldn't pursue their 1% shot at him. Life is often stranger than fiction. Ya never know.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Hey maybe there was an ulterior motive to giving Anderson that contract. Call it the Otani Plan. It sets a precedent that you can extend a players contract with minimal servicetime where the league didn't step in and void it.

I know I am delusional but just because the most the Sox can offer is $300K shouldn't mean they shouldn't pursue their 1% shot at him. Life is often stranger than fiction. Ya never know.

Teams aren't allowed to just rip up Otani's deal and extend him. It's a direct circumvention of the CBA. He can get somewhere between 8-10 milion from someone. It won't be the White Sox though

If otani is really coming over next year he isn't doing it for the money and could just as well take 300k instead of 10m. I think the most important thing for him is finding a team in mlb that gives him a chance to hit at least semi full time (400+ PAs or so). For a player like him 10m is really a chump change.

If he was in for the money he would wait 2 years and get a 250+M contract.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
If otani is really coming over next year he isn't doing it for the money and could just as well take 300k instead of 10m. I think the most important thing for him is finding a team in mlb that gives him a chance to hit at least semi full time (400+ PAs or so). For a player like him 10m is really a chump change.

If he was in for the money he would wait 2 years and get a 250+M contract.

Would you think he would be more likely to go to an AL team or NL team for those kind of at bats? An AL team could DH him on days he doesn't pitch.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
Would you think he would be more likely to go to an AL team or NL team for those kind of at bats? An AL team could DH him on days he doesn't pitch.

That would be the one scenario where a team like the White Sox could get him. Most teams will want him to pitch only, but if an AL team who isn't competing is willing to take a chance and offer him the DH spot on his pitching off days, that could be more attractive to him, and he may decide to choose that opportunity over better offers that require him to pitch only.