Omar Vizquel

Blackout Friday

This is from mlbtraderumors:

Vizquel as the manager of their A-ball affiliate in Winston-Salem, according to Venezuelan reporter Efrain Zavarace on Twitter (hat tip to MLive.com’s Evan Woodbery). This will be Vizquel’s first managerial assignment after four seasons as the Tigers’ first base coach and one year as an infield coach with the Angels. He has often been mentioned as a potential managerial candidate in the big leagues, and Vizquel interviewed for the Tigers’ dugout vacancy earlier this offseason.

Hard to argue with this.

Edit: I screwed up the quote function.

Edited by Blackout Friday

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
This is from mlbtraderumors:

Hard to argue with this.

Edit: I screwed up the quote function.

Efraín Zavarce‏

@EfrainZavarce

Follow Follow @EfrainZavarce

More

Omar Vizquel será en 2018 el manager de @WSDashBaseball, la sucursal de @whitesox en la Liga de Carolina, un circuito clase A avanzada. Es la primera vez que una organización de @MLB lo contrata para dirigir. #MiLB

Omar Vizquel will be in 2018, the manager of @WSDashBaseball, the @whitesox branch in the Carolina League, a circuit class to advanced. It is the first time that an organization of @MLB hired him to direct. #MiLB

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:53 AM)
Hopefully Jake Burger is at Winston-Salem for a while. Some time with Viquel could probably take away any questions of whether he will be able to stay at third as long as he stays in shape.

That and hopefully some defensive tips with the glove. Viquel will help alot of our prospects in that regard.

That's the type of guy I'd like to see get a shot at managing. Fits well with our future core as a potential successor to Renteria. We'd probably have to give him a shot relatively quick though (as in within 2-3 seasons from now if we are going that route). Seems like he's serious about proving himself as a manager candidate if he's taking an A ball assignment. Pretty impressed that he doesn't see it as beneath him given the caliber of player he was and that he could pretty much coach on any major league team right now in a non-managerial role.

Edited by soxforlife05

I am pro this move by the way. I loved willie as a player, but I thought W-S should have done better with their talent. I do wonder now if they wanted to get Collins up with a different staff sooner than later. No position player was doing that well down there until Eloy came around, other than Mendick.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
This is now official, including comments from Chris Getz.

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/937736780274642950

This can't be good. He is just another recycled ex-Sox person. Loyalty to a fault is one of the biggest problems for this organization.

JR is screwing it up again!