Maggs-Nomar swapped, pending A-rod

Loaiza21

It appears that LA is left out, and the Sox are getting Nomar and Williamson for Mags. Steal. Plus it's going to be announced with the A-Rod deal, but this has been agreed upon I guess.

The Red Sox moved a gigantic step closer to finishing the long-awaited trade for superstar Alex Rodriguez when they agreed yesterday to send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for outfielder Magglio Ordoñez, contingent upon completion of the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez megadeal, National League sources told Newsday yesterday.

The stunning agreement with Chicago potentially opens the Red Sox's shortstop position for Rodriguez, the 2003 American League MVP, and sets the table for Boston's greatest offseason ever. The Red Sox's probable double blockbuster would be a major coup for the historic and ill-fated franchise as it tries to break its 85-year championship jinx and the Yankees' stranglehold on the intense AL East.

The Red Sox, already a big winter winner after the acquisition of Curt Schilling, have had their sights set on Rodriguez for weeks as they aim to remake their lineup and clubhouse. Ordoñez, who hit .317 with 29 homers and 99 RBIs last season, is a surprise bonus for Boston. Garciaparra hit .301 with 28 homers and 105 RBIs.

Baseball people believe the Rodriguez-Ramirez swap is inevitable now, and Rodriguez met yesterday in New York with Red Sox GM Theo Epstein and union lawyer Gene Orza, whose presence indicates Rodriguez might consider deferring some monies or reworking a part of his $252-million Rangers contract. Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, said he planned to take a late flight to New York last night to join the talks.

"They're going to get this deal done," said one person involved in the talks. Speaking of Rodriguez and Garciaparra, that person said, "Neither one can go back to their club. This is too far down the road."

Rodriguez is scheduled to appear this week on the Today Show, whose host, Katie Couric, is the girlfriend of Tom Werner, a Red Sox owner.

All sides were working feverishly late last night in hopes of wrapping up things soon. There was talk that commissioner Bud Selig, who's granted special permission for Red Sox owner John Henry to meet with Rodriguez, might set a quick deadline to resolve the matter.

There was word Rangers owner Tom Hicks still was hoping to get Boston to include cash in the deal. "He's trying to get the Red Sox to pay for his mistake. We all told him the $252-million contract was a mistake three years ago," one baseball executive said. Rodriguez has $179 million and seven years left on his deal. Ramirez has $97.5 million and five years remaining on his.

The Garciaparra-Ordoñez deal makes sense for all parties involved but shocked the Dodgers, who were hoping to land either player to fortify their offense. Word of the deal also was said to have stunned Garciaparra, a California resident hoping to go to the Dodgers or Angels. Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause and can do nothing to prevent the deal.

Boston will send reliever Scott Williamson along with Garciaparra to Chicago and the White Sox will send Boston two pitching prospects, provided the Rodriguez-Ramirez deal is completed. Boston probably will send some young pitchers to Texas along with Ramirez to sweeten the deal.

The White Sox had been shopping Ordoñez, whom Chicago believed it would have no chance to re-sign when he becomes a free agent after this year.

Ordoñez is to make $12 million in 2004, nearly the same salary as Garciaparra. White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has an excellent relationship with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, and may have hopes he can lock up Garciaparra on a long-term deal.

Boston's Henry is conscious of public relations, and the smooth, smiling A-Rod fits better than Garciaparra, who's had a combative relationship with some of Boston's tough press. Rodriguez hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBIs for Texas in 2003.

Boston had been seeking to find a taker for Ramirez, who annoyed them by calling in sick during an important late-season series with the Yankees. Ramirez hit .325 with 37 homers and 104 RBIs in 2003.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Nomar will end up in LA.  They prefer Nomar to Maggs and they may be willing to give it up for Nomar.

Boston wants Maggs. The Sox wanted pitching, but then Epstein probably offered us Nomar because Evans was waivering a little too long on trading so much for Nomar. I think that's why this happened.

is this official or still simply media speculation from unnamed sources?

and if we deal Nomar to LA we'd better get more than Odalis Perez, Mota and a 19-yearold pitcher.

Does this make the outfield Lee, Rowand and Borchard.

Or Lee, Reed and Rowand?

We got some major, major run production to replace.

Well if we're swapping Maggs for Nomar/Williamson, than Nomar would be that production that we're losing in Maggs. Nomar more than makes up for Maggs in the line-up.

The Red Sox moved a gigantic step closer to finishing the long-awaited trade for superstar Alex Rodriguez when they agreed yesterday to send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for outfielder Magglio Ordoñez, contingent upon completion of the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez megadeal, National League sources told Newsday yesterday.

I believe it is true, but awaiting the ARod deal. That means no major site has announced it yet. Although I don't believe it is a rumor. And the Arod deal is as close as it's ever been to happening, so I have a reason to believe this is going to happen.

All things being equal; I would rather have my all-stars and big salaries "up the middle" then in an outfield corner. It might be old school but I still believe you need a solid, dependable, defensive catcher who can call a game, good to great pitching, a solid ss and 2nd baseman, and a centerfielder who can cover some ground.

Does anyone else think that MLB is drooling at the prospect of having it's best player in the WS hunt instead of withering on a vine in Texas? I wonder if Bud is blowing calls into the union trying to help this one and wondering if he could rape the Expos to help.

I hope that if this deal goes down that the Sox don't go and send Nomar to the Dodgers for the Pitchers etc. rumored. Hopefully they can get rid of Valentin and Koch, and PK so we can free up some salary. Or maybe they'll expand it. Who knows?

I hope that if this deal goes down that the Sox don't go and send Nomar to the Dodgers for the Pitchers etc. rumored. Hopefully they can get rid of Valentin and Koch, and PK so we can free up some salary. Or maybe they'll expand it. Who knows?

I think this trade puts us tops in the AL Central because of Nomar and because we'd have a closer in Williamson. Then we'd send Koch away for a middle reliever and the bullpen would be set. I also think we'd need to sign Ponson to solidify the rotation. But this trade does make us a serious contender on a low payroll.

If we go the LA route I see us having the benefits in the long term. Adding Odalis could make us a pitching and defense team like Ozzie wanted. Adding Mota would give us a reliable setup and Marte could step in as the closer. And that amazingly good pitching prospect could be in the rotation by 2005. We dump tons of salary and could easily sign Juan Gonzalez and possibly Ponson (but they wouldn't need him anymore) and then we could go for a catcher? Maybe Javy Lopez would come here for $8 mil. If we can get Gonzalez and Lopez for $16 M that'd be great, but unlikely. It could happen, you never know ;). This is all speculation.

I think the easiest way to go is by aquiring Nomar and Williamson, and then possibly a cheap RP.

Am I the only one here that would rather have the Sox get L.A. pitchers than keep Nomar? Take a look at Nomar's home/road splits since 2001:

At bats: Home- 689; Road- 687

Hits: Home- 236; Road- 183

2B's: Home- 61; Road- 35

Avg.: Home- .343; Road- .266

OBP: Home- .384; Road- .314

OPS: Home- .970; Road- .773

I have big time concerns that, away from Fenway, Nomar ain't a $10 mil-a-year or so player.

Am I the only one here that would rather have the Sox get L.A. pitchers than keep Nomar?  Take a look at Nomar's home/road splits since 2001:

At bats:  Home- 689; Road- 687

Hits:  Home- 236;  Road- 183

2B's: Home- 61; Road- 35

Avg.:  Home- .343;  Road- .266

OBP: Home- .384; Road- .314

OPS: Home- .970; Road- .773

I have big time concerns that, away from Fenway, Nomar ain't a $10 mil-a-year or so player.

Would someone mind looking up what are Fenway's dims compared to Comiskey...?

Val and Slonerko should be gone WAY before we get rid of Nomar.

F the Dodgers in that regard. Perez wouldn't cut it for nomar for me. If they're looking for an SS with power, have Val. He's perfect for their Latino Market. It would be funny to see Pauly, Val, Danny Wright, wilson alverez, and ventura on their team though...