UN gives Sudan 30 days to halt violence

southsider2k5

The violence in the Sudan has been going on for years under the radar of most everybody. It's been a bloodbath for years (well since the coup in 1989) there and has stayed out of sight and out of mind. Good to see that something is starting to get done. Don't get me wrong, more can and should be done but at least it's a start getting it to peoples' attention.

I'm going to hell for this but . . . the odds of us getting involved always seem to be determined by the color of the opposition skin. Notice we haven't attacked any white people since Germany.

I am certain Bush is also weighing the political liabilities of body bags coming home from the Sudan and not liking the idea. Sadly, life and death in Sudan is being decided by how voters in swing states would react. Don't think for a moment that Bush, or any US President in the past 100 years, is going to enter us into what would be an unpopular military action so close to an election unless the US population demands it.