anyone hear what levine said?

thelatinoheat_30

according to bruce levine, on comcast today, he said the sox got no more money to spend on fa. said they used the salaries from maggs and valentin on garcia, contreras, hermanson, and now dye. also said that kenny said that anything else would have to be a trade dollar for dollar. any thoughts?

and also, i thought kenny was supposed to get ozzie's type of players. how does dye and his 100+ wiffs per fit into that mold if they really are done signing fa's? i know we gotta replace maggs and frank but solo hrs, as we have seen, won't win a divison title.

i'm out

according to bruce levine, on comcast today, he said the sox got no more money to spend on fa.  said  they used the salaries from maggs and valentin on garcia, contreras, hermanson, and now dye.  also said that kenny said that anything else would have to be a trade dollar for dollar.  any thoughts?

i'm out

KW said it himself on the sox official site on the Jermaine Dye signing article. I think this is bs though. So if the trade for RJ would've happened for PK and co was real he was going to cost a lot more than PK was. Not only that but if the sox were close to signing Vizquel and Wright, where did that money go? This is total bs, they say that every offseason, I am waiting for them to sign O. Perez dammit! Your going to tell me that KW is not going to get his starter when he knows thats our reason for failure these past couple seasons? Wether its via trade or not the sox will get another starter.

Suppose the sox do deal PK for Vazquez, you think they are going to let RG takeover when they said it themselves he wasn't a major league stater? No they will sign a backup or trade for one which will cost money thus making us go over payroll. I smell bs on this, just another way of flying under the radar.

Suppose the sox do deal PK for Vazquez, you think they are going to let RG takeover when they said it themselves he wasn't a major league stater? No they will sign a backup or trade for one which will cost money thus making us go over payroll. I smell bs on this, just another way of flying under the radar.

highly unlikely we trade pk to arizona now that they have glaus(where did all this money for glaus and offered to dye come from anyway?) unless the yanks would be interested to replace giambi, also unlikely tho

i'm out

Currently the Sox payroll would be about $69-70M -- depending on arbitration rewards, who actually makes the roster, and if they choose to take some players to arbitration or not.

Also the 40-man roster is full. Any signing would rewuire the sox to drop someone else from it. It should be noted that Scot Schoenweis is not on the 40-man on ChiSox.com. -- That's pretty telling about how confident KW is that he can work out a mutually benefitial deal with he and his agent (Boras) --

Any other player added is going to come via the trade. It could be a 2-for-1 type deal, that would free up both $ and roster space for another signing.

So, taking all of that into account, Levine is right on.

I wouldn't worry, Kenny's #1 goal this off-season was getting a top of the line pitcher, he wanted Johnson and knows that the success of the Sox rests on the rotation. He saw how bad the #5 spot was this year and he will get another starter. Don't take the confidence in Jason Grilli factor in too much, it's only posturing in case he somehow doesn't get that other pitcher. He needs to say this so Grilli is confident when he comes to Spring Training. Kenny knows we need another pitcher, despite how much we rip him, he isn't an idiot and will find another solid pitcher.

I'm confident there's no stealth, FA action remaining for Williams.

When you factor in seperate proposals to Wright/Vizquel (I'll assume Wright was offered around 5 million) both are roughly the same price. Dye (4mil) + Hermanson (2.5mil) may fulfill payroll limitations imposed by Reinsdorf.

If Williams indeed entered this offseason with roughly 7 million to spend, he did well addressing two needs of this club.

Here is what KW said today after Dye Signed read them and weep.

The money that some believe was saved through not offering arbitration to Ordonez and Jose Valentin, not to mention removing closer Billy Koch from the books, simply isn't there.

"I've spent that $14 million already," said Williams of the Ordonez money, which has been absorbed by raises, yearly increases for multiyear contracts and the addition of Garcia and Contreras to the payroll.

"There are very few dollars available -- maybe to add a bench player," Williams added. "If I want to make an impact signing, I would have to move a little bit of salary in another area."

They don't mean that much, but I don't want a player on my team striking out 150+ times a year. Personally, I love guys with high OBPs. (I think Reed will be a stud in that department) Agree to disagree I guess.

I agree with you i would prefer a guy that does not strikeout much but it is not the end of the world if they do.

If they are negotiating with someone this quote is a good play. Makes it sound like the Sox have limited resources so they won't hold out. For example, agents are going to always ask for more from Detroit cause they know they have the budget for it from all their yapping.

That being said I don't expect anymore major signings, although I do think they still have about 4-5 mill available for FA, which will be about two role players. One middle infielder and a potential replacement for Konerko.