AAP: Po-Yu Lin

December 5th, 2006: The Chicago White Sox agreed to terms with 20-year old Taiwanese amateur RHP Po-Yu Lin, including a $300,000 signing bonus.

Future Sox article from Jason Gage

post-2-1167230476_thumb.jpg

Overview on Lin...

• Lin is pretty big for a 20 year old from Taiwan, at 6’ tall and 216 pounds

• He is said to have a fastball that currently tops out around 92, and breaking stuff with serious movement

• Lin was the ace of the 2004 Junior National Tournament in Taiwan at age 18

• Guesses on where he ends up in the Sox system range from Rookie League to High A, but we’ll know more

after Spring Training

• The 300k signing bonus he received is not exactly a monster for an international signing

• A regular on Taiwan Baseball named Ben has stated that

Lin’s closest MLB or MILB analog is Po-Hsuan Keng, who he says is a carbon copy physically. Keng

managed a 2.33 ERA and a 10:3 K:BB ratio in 70 innings in 2006 with the Blue Jays’ class A affiliate the

Lansing Lugnuts.

Notes and other links…

• Lin is NOT the same person as Lin-Po You, who played in 2006 for the Anchorage Bucs of the ABL.

Reports equating the two appear erroneous, according to my research.

• Here is a video of him pitching in High School

Contributions to this report from:

Jason Gage of Future Sox

The Cheat from SSS

Taiwan Baseball

Armchair GM

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
Good work, very extensive. It gets hard to find stuff on guys like that. You should help us find info on the draft picks, that can be a pain.

boss was very excited the SOX found a guy like this .............

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
You know Bruce Springstein? wow.

My mom used to go to the gym with him :P (more like: she used to go to the same gym as him, and saw him occasionally there)

Edited by Felix

"Notes and other links…

• Lin is NOT the same person as Lin-Po You, who played in 2006 for the Anchorage Bucs of the ABL.

Reports equating the two appear erroneous, according to my research."

North,

Po-Yu Lin DID play in the ABL this past year. The Anchorage Buc's site screwed up his spelling. And for further confirmation look at this link (click on 11/17/06 Link) - it's linked to my blog regarding Lin's signing.

QUOTE(TTT @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
"Notes and other links…

Reports equating the two appear erroneous, according to my research."

North,

Po-Yu Lin DID play in the ABL this past year. The Anchorage Buc's site screwed up his spelling. And for further confirmation look at this link (click on 11/17/06 Link) - it's linked to my blog regarding Lin's signing.

So the Bucs' site is wrong then? I searched their whole site, and the only spelling present was the bad one. I also did a few other searches around the web, and could find no coincidence of Po-Yu Lin and the Bucs, other than your site and The Cheat's information. Did you talk to the team? Or are you just a fan and follow the Bucs? Just curious how you got this information, since I'd like to learn more about this guy.

Thanks for posting, by the way - the more information the better!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
So the Bucs' site is wrong then? I searched their whole site, and the only spelling present was the bad one. I also did a few other searches around the web, and could find no coincidence of Po-Yu Lin and the Bucs, other than your site and The Cheat's information. Did you talk to the team? Or are you just a fan and follow the Bucs? Just curious how you got this information, since I'd like to learn more about this guy.

Thanks for posting, by the way - the more information the better!

North, I first heard about Lin back in 2004. That was when the video of Lin pitching (posted on my blog -Taiwan Baseball) first surfaced (scroll towards the bottom). Pitching for Hua-Shin HS, Lin was the ace of the Taiwanese junior NT in 2004. He was being compared to then Japanese junior NT pitching stud Yu Darvish, who is now one of the top pitchers in the NPB. That was the last I heard of him until he resurfaced in Alaska. Lin and fellow Taiwanese teammate Lo were both listed on the initial Anchorage Bucs roster before the season began. His DOB on that roster confirmed that he is indeed Po-Yu Lin. The Bucs got Lo's name right, however with Lin they probably just went with the Chinese pronounciation of his name - Lin Po Yu (You). In Chinese the surname goes first - like Yao Ming. Lin and Lo both left the Bucs during the season to return back to Taiwan, so they were removed from the final Bucs roster.

I already emailed Jeeves - who posted my response to him in that armchair gm article on Lin, all that I know about Lin. So you have all the 411 that I've gathered on Lin.

QUOTE(TTT @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
North, I first heard about Lin back in 2004. That was when the video of Lin pitching (posted on my blog -Taiwan Baseball) first surfaced (scroll towards the bottom). Pitching for Hua-Shin HS, Lin was the ace of the Taiwanese junior NT in 2004. He was being compared to then Japanese junior NT pitching stud Yu Darvish, who is now one of the top pitchers in the NPB. That was the last I heard of him until he resurfaced in Alaska. Lin and fellow Taiwanese teammate Lo were both listed on the initial Anchorage Bucs roster before the season began. His DOB on that roster confirmed that he is indeed Po-Yu Lin. The Bucs got Lo's name right, however with Lin they probably just went with the Chinese pronounciation of his name - Lin Po Yu (You). In Chinese the surname goes first - like Yao Ming. Lin and Lo both left the Bucs during the season to return back to Taiwan, so they were removed from the final Bucs roster.

I already emailed Jeeves - who posted my response to him in that armchair gm article on Lin, all that I know about Lin. So you have all the 411 that I've gathered on Lin.

Thanks, we appreciate the info!

• 2 months later...

There were a couple mentions that Po-Yu Lin is in minor league camp for spring training this year, but I cannot find any further information than that.

If anyone knows a way to get any stats or results from the minor league camp, I'm sure that would be handy for Lin and a lot of other AAP's (like my other AAP, Donny Lucy, for example).

• 2 weeks later...

Both Class A teams (W-S and Kannapolis) have started their seasons, and Lin is not on either roster. No word where he is going yet officially, but it appears that he is headed to Great Falls (Rookie), if he is even still with the organization. After the news that he wasn't as-advertised during Spring Training, Lin seems to have a hole to dig out of.

My guess would be short season. The club was not happy with that magically drop in velocity Lin suffered after coming to America and I'd imagine they are a bit concerned and figure it be best to let him spend some time in extended spring training.

• 2 months later...

Po-Yu Lin is starting the season with Bristol (short season), and has his first outing on 6/22. His line:

6 IP, 0 R, 7 K, 0 BB, 4 hits, 1 balk

Also, an article about the game (tip of the cap to 29th & Poplar). Sounds like he isn't afraid to pitch inside, nor was he rattled when he was in trouble. Overall, a pretty darn good start.

Good to see this, considering he was a disappointment in ST velocity-wise. He is still quite young.

• 2 weeks later...

June update on Lin...

Po-Yu Lin has opened his American baseball career very well. Here are his stats for the three games he has been in so far...

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG

1 0 0.00 3 2 0 0 0 9.0 7 0 0 0 2 11 2.00 .212

Not a bad start. 9 IP, and he hasn't given up a run. His WHIP is 1.00, and he has a K/BB ratio of 11/2.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 08:42 AM)
No mention on velocity though... I wonder where he was at?

I looked around and couldn't find anything on that. The Great Falls Tribune website search tool doesn't seem to work very well, and a general web search didn't turn anything up.

But if someone else can find something, I'd like to see it too!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
I looked around and couldn't find anything on that. The Great Falls Tribune website search tool doesn't seem to work very well, and a general web search didn't turn anything up.

But if someone else can find something, I'd like to see it too!

He is on Bristol so looking in the Great Falls paper won't work heh. Try tricities.com. It looks like they are pretty good about doing game recaps.

This was a cool link, interesting story, but didn't mention velocity

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
He is on Bristol so looking in the Great Falls paper won't work heh. Try tricities.com. It looks like they are pretty good about doing game recaps.

This was a cool link, interesting story, but didn't mention velocity

Thanks for the article.

I have no idea why I was looking at Great Falls - I think I had been searching for articles on Sergio Miranda right before Lin, maybe that's why. :bang