Interesting Stat...

JohnCangelosi

I know it's not directly a stat related to the White Sox, however, NO team in MLB history has started 0-7 and made the playoffs. In fact only a few have even gotten to .500. I realize this is a unique situation but if the Red Sox can beat up on them the next 2 games and we can do the same this weekend, we could put them in a world of hurt...

If the stat holds true again this year, perhaps we'll be competing for the division versus CLE instead of DET? Maybe KC? ;-)

Edited by JohnCangelosi

Didn't the '97 Cubs start 0-14 or something? I remember Mark Grace on Leno and I think this had a lot to do with it, as Jay was teasing him about it.

Anyway, what's bad for the Tigers is good for the Sox. I thought that the Central would be competitive this year, but nothing like '06.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
I know it's not directly a stat related to the White Sox, however, NO team in MLB history has started 0-7 and made the playoffs. In fact only a few have even gotten to .500. I realize this is a unique situation but if the Red Sox can beat up on them the next 2 games and we can do the same this weekend, we could put them in a world of hurt...

If the stat holds true again this year, perhaps we'll be competing for the division versus CLE instead of DET? Maybe KC? ;-)

Well, taking a look at last years final standings, in order for them to get to 96 Wins, which was the total it took to win the AL Central last year, they would have to go 96 and 59 the rest of the way. That's a .619 Win%. No one was over .593 last year. It can be done but their start is definitely not helping them :)

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
The Sox dropped more than seven in a row in '05 didn't they?

8 I believe, but they were 319 games above .500 at the time, so it almost didn't matter.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
8 I believe, but they were 319 games above .500 at the time, so it almost didn't matter.

Yes, that's true, it was August of 05 when they dropped 7 or 8 in a row. The point, however, is to start off the season this way. I know in theory it shouldn't matter, but like mentioned above they now have to play .620 ball to get to 96 wins. My point, also, is if Boston can take care of them the next two games and we hit em in the mouth over the weekend like we know we can....it sounds strange to say in April....but they can almost be in a hole too big to get out of?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1608127:date=Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:34 PM:name=Y2HH)-->
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
<!--quotec-->8 I believe, but they were 319 games above .500 at the time, so it almost didn't matter.

Yes, that's true, it was August of 05 when they dropped 7 or 8 in a row. The point, however, is to start off the season this way. I know in theory it shouldn't matter, but like mentioned above they now have to play .620 ball to get to 96 wins. My point, also, is if Boston can take care of them the next two games and we hit em in the mouth over the weekend like we know we can....it sounds strange to say in April....but they can almost be in a hole too big to get out of?

I absolutly agree. Losing early sets a BAD tone for a team and often causes doubt, which compounds upon itself and gets worse as time goes on. Then, by the time they do recover, it's often too late.

See the Indians in 05 for reference.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
The Sox dropped more than seven in a row in '05 didn't they?

The Sox lost 7 in a row in 2005, the Cards lost 8 in a row in 2006. Just looking at the recent WS winners, most have losing streaks of 5 or 6 games at some point in the season. (Last year's Sawks are the exception -- they had a few 4-game losing streaks, and no 5+-game streaks.)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
I absolutly agree. Losing early sets a BAD tone for a team and often causes doubt, which compounds upon itself and gets worse as time goes on. Then, by the time they do recover, it's often too late.

See the Indians in 05 for reference.

there bullpen is worse than ours from last year. and that rotation..i dunno :gosox3:

I don't see how the tigers can keep this up, but they do have injuries and they could have more. And alex gordon and billy butler are raking with bannister dealing...who can say what will happen in the crazy AL central

Even after their brutal start, they still are projected to win more games than the Sox (from Accuscore):

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ar1j...o&type=lgns

This thread can probably be merged with this one in the DC: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63696

Edited by RME JICO