The big series is upon us

greg775

Sox vs. Twins: You make the call  

130 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will the Sox win at the HumptyDome?

• None, We Get Swept
    • One, We Salvage Uno
    • Two, We Win the Series
    • Three, We Sweep, Pop the Corks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this interesting:

The Twins really haven't played like themselves lately. They usually win with great defense or great pitching. But they've won just one game in which they've scored fewer than six runs since Aug. 21 -- that came Sunday in a 4-1 victory at Tampa Bay. They're mostly winning games like they did Thursday night when they won 11-8 by scoring five runs in the ninth inning. So the Twins are a really interesting team and, with three games left at the Metrodome, where they are so much better, they are still in this thing.

ESPN

Can the three people who answered that they will sweep us answer me this:

How is a team that hasn't won 3 straight games in almost a month suddenly going to win 3 straight games

and how is a team that hasn't swept a home series to a team not named seattle suddenly going to sweep a home series?

I hope this series once and for all puts to bed this twins mystique bulls***

I know we've lost 5/6 up there but the twins are playing like TOTAL DOGs*** the last month, much worse than the sox in almost every facet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
So, think hard before making your comments and official predictions for the big series. We usually suck in the HumptyDome, but it's not like we've never won some games there. We have been pretty s***ty on the road; they've been great at home. It will be playoff intensity atmosphere, maybe even greater than playoff atmosphere. So how do we do? Favorably, or lay down and die, or somewhere in between?

yes playoff intensity atmosphere, so naturally ESPN is covering none of the three games?!?!?!?! :gosox3:

I think it's the same as the series in Wrigley. If we win game one and break their hearts, we take 2 of 3. If we lose game one, we get our butts swept.

I doubt the Sox think this way, but truly we are playing with the house's money, so to speak. We have a 3 game lead in the loss column entering the series. The worst that can happen is we leave even in the loss column. Thus we should enter with cockiness and swagger and kick their ass. Imagine how low we'd be if we were three down right now.

C'mon Sox, play loose, but aggressive. If you win game one you'll be up 4 in loss column and it shouldn't be too difficult to split the next two.

Lose game one and they'll be waving the hankies and we'll probably get swept. So my prediction is if we win game one, we take 2 of 3. If we lose game one, put it on the board, a Twins sweep.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
C'mon Sox, play loose, but aggressive. If you win game one you'll be up 4 in loss column and it shouldn't be too difficult to split the next two.

Lose game one and they'll be waving the hankies and we'll probably get swept. So my prediction is if we win game one, we take 2 of 3. If we lose game one, put it on the board, a Twins sweep.

I'd just like to say...regardless of how we got it this way...I'm fairly happy we have Gavin set up to go on normal rest in game 3 of this series...after the work he did in key games in Yankee Stadium and in the Metrodome in the past month or so.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
If we win 2, we clinch there. We'd have a 3.5 game lead coming home.

actually not, because there would still be the possibility of the sox losing all three at home and the twins sweeping the royals, which would mean the sox have to play that game against detroit.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

Wouldnt we then have to play that Detroit game?So than we wouldnt clinch there.

EDIT:G kid you beat me to it.

Edited by shipps

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
Didn't they do some sort of coin flip thing for ties?

How did that turn out and what did it mean?

The coin flip was for who gets to be the home team for a 1 game playoff in case of a tie. Thankfully, if it comes to that, we won the flip and would have the game at home.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

That'd be true if the extra game against Detroit never had to be played.

Although if we leave Minnesota leading 3.5 games it's all but over. We'd have to lose every game against CLE/DET and Minnesota would have to win all their remaining games.

I'm one of the ten who predicts a sweep. I don't even have a great reason to support myself. Last week against Kansas City when the bases were loaded and Alexi was fouling off pitch after pitch I said to myself, "a grandslam is about the last thing I expect from the White Sox right now;" and that's exactly what happened. It's not a very good connection to make between a GS in KC and sweeping Minnesota, but what it taught me is what's expected isn't what always happens.

I'll say this, though. If Vazquez pitches poorly I will have had just about enough of him in a White Sox uniform. I'm using this game, ignoring all others before it, as a judge of his character in one of the biggest games of his life. Considering how our players view the Metrodome and the abominable Twins, losing the 1st game will only resurrect the "oh man, we can't win here" attitude and all but guarantee a series lost.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
Didn't they do some sort of coin flip thing for ties?

How did that turn out and what did it mean?

The toin coss was done a couple weeks ago and yours truly posted the thread. The Sox won over the Twins. If the Sox play the game in Detroit and the season comes out tied between the Sox and Twins, there will be a 1 game playoff for the Central, probably next Tuesday, at the Cell. The coin toss was for home field and we won.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
The toin coss was done a couple weeks ago and yours truly posted the thread. The Sox won over the Twins. If the Sox play the game in Detroit and the season comes out tied between the Sox and Twins, there will be a 1 game playoff for the Central, probably next Tuesday, at the Cell. The coin toss was for home field and we won.

hate to be technical, but it's not a one game playoff. Statistically, it's game 163. Only then would they in fact clinch.

The game we really need to win is game two. Buehrle's pitching in that one against a struggling pitcher in Blackburn, who gave up like 6 runs to the Rays in 1.2 innings the other day. Slowey and Baker have been their 2nd and 3rd best pitchers respectively lately. I wouldn't bank on victories in those two games. We'll just see what happens I guess. I don't have the most confidence, but if we just pull out one game, we'll be in okay shape.

I thank Gardenhire for going with Liriano yesterday. I understand his thinking - get a win and have a chance to sweep going into the series with the sox. But it's also a boost to the sox not having to face a lefty in the dome (ie, death). Make no mistake, minny is thinking of one thing: sweep. And they have nothing to lose and a sellout crowd to rile them up.

man, i miss carlos.