2012 Book Thread

Texsox

This one usually dies a quick death, but why not try?

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and it was every bit as good as the reviews. The writing fit so tight with the mood and tone of the piece. I finished it in a couple evenings and seriously had trouble sleeping last night. I have not seen the movie, and probably will resist renting it. My son presented it to me this Christmas, I hope he isn't hoping I die.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read Steve Jobs' biography, which was outstandingly done.

Tex, glad you enjoyed The Road. I've had it for about 3 years now and have not been able to make myself read it after reading No Country for Old Men....McCarthy's writing style is definitely something.

His writing matched the setting better than any book I can remember reading. I did struggle to sleep last night. Weird dreams and waking up disoriented. It was simultaneously a very easy read and a difficult one. Lots of layers.

I am planning on reading No Country for Old Men after Lonesome Dove. I am also filling in some books I should have read, but somehow avoided. Lord of the Flies is in the que as well. I kind of took a break from any real literature and read a couple C.J. Box books (very good vacation reads) and a couple Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
His writing matched the setting better than any book I can remember reading. I did struggle to sleep last night. Weird dreams and waking up disoriented. It was simultaneously a very easy read and a difficult one. Lots of layers.

I am planning on reading No Country for Old Men after Lonesome Dove. I am also filling in some books I should have read, but somehow avoided. Lord of the Flies is in the que as well. I kind of took a break from any real literature and read a couple C.J. Box books (very good vacation reads) and a couple Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books.

Love the C. J. Box books. I'm in the middle of Cold Wind right now. As far as The Road, very disturbing read, but wonderfully written.

I read Cold Wind this past week while huddled in a very cold tent in Big Bend. I won't spoil it for you, but the ending exceeded my expectations. Not what I was expecting but better. My gf was reading Free Fire which is the only other one of his I have read. Which btw got me hooked. I was looking for a book set in Yellowstone, because I will be visiting there this summer.

I haven't read Steven King in years, but I asked for "11/22/63" for Christmas, as it seemed to have an interesting premise. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

I really liked "The Art of Fielding." It has a baseball backdrop, but really can't be called a "baseball book."

Finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ahead of seeing the movie, and found it to be a rare instance of my liking the film better. For me, the 1st 2/3 of the book really dragged.

And I feel like a real heathen for saying this, but "The Road" bored me silly.

I also really enjoyed "The Art of Fielding." One of the best books I read in 2011. The Road was really hard to read at the beginning but once I got into McCarthy's style it became a lot easier and I enjoyed it. Currently reading "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Not as good as Ender's Game so far but still excellent.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I also really enjoyed "The Art of Fielding." One of the best books I read in 2011. The Road was really hard to read at the beginning but once I got into McCarthy's style it became a lot easier and I enjoyed it. Currently reading "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Not as good as Ender's Game so far but still excellent.

Well this makes me feel better...maybe this was my problem as well...when I read No Country, I hated his style, but the story was good, so I stuck with it. I've heard even better things about The Road, so I guess I'll try and get through the beginning...this will be one of my New Years' resolutions :)

Also have Game of Thrones on iPad, along with Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder.

Oh! Has anyone read Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts"? I bought that one on the iPad too and forgot about it...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Wanting to do some fairly low impact reading over the holidays I got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Very enjoyable.

I am teaching the first book in the series. My 8th graders really seem to enjoy it. They are finally understanding the parallels to reality TV shows.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Well this makes me feel better...maybe this was my problem as well...when I read No Country, I hated his style, but the story was good, so I stuck with it. I've heard even better things about The Road, so I guess I'll try and get through the beginning...this will be one of my New Years' resolutions :)

Also have Game of Thrones on iPad, along with Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder.

Oh! Has anyone read Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts"? I bought that one on the iPad too and forgot about it...

It was good, not great, imo. Interesting but not nearly as compelling as The Devil in the White City.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
It was good, not great, imo. Interesting but not nearly as compelling as The Devil in the White City.

That's disappointing...

I'll add my thoughts when I finish it up, hopefully within a few weeks.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
I haven't read Steven King in years, but I asked for "11/22/63" for Christmas, as it seemed to have an interesting premise. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

I really liked "The Art of Fielding." It has a baseball backdrop, but really can't be called a "baseball book."

Finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ahead of seeing the movie, and found it to be a rare instance of my liking the film better. For me, the 1st 2/3 of the book really dragged.

And I feel like a real heathen for saying this, but "The Road" bored me silly.

Please let me know what you think. I have been going back and forth on buying it.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)

I second this re "In the Garden of the Beasts," but to be fair, "White City" is a hard one to match, let alone top.

I'm hoping this thread sticks around. I started up a pseudo book club with a couple buddies a few months ago (shared Google doc of books to be read, etc) and I looked around to see if there was a thread on here that would have some suggestions. I enjoy legal/spy thrillers like those written by David Baldacci and Michael Connolly. Any other suggestions for authors or titles?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm hoping this thread sticks around. I started up a pseudo book club with a couple buddies a few months ago (shared Google doc of books to be read, etc) and I looked around to see if there was a thread on here that would have some suggestions. I enjoy legal/spy thrillers like those written by David Baldacci and Michael Connolly. Any other suggestions for authors or titles?

Read Joseph Finder...he writes stuff that could be described as "corporate espionage."

Pick up "Paranoia"...one of my favorites...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Read Joseph Finder...he writes stuff that could be described as "corporate espionage."

Pick up "Paranoia"...one of my favorites...

Paranoia was the first of his books I read. I was hooked. I've read about 6 or so since.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Wanting to do some fairly low impact reading over the holidays I got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Very enjoyable.

I'm about halfway through the first book. Very easy to read, and it's quite enjoyable. I'll probably have my kids read it and then take them to see the movie in March.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Does anyone have any reading goals for the year? Last year I set a goal to read 60 books and finished with 64. This year I'm just going to read without a goal and see how many I tally up.

I don't set goals. I just hit the bargain bins at BAM and Barnes and Noble downtown once a week or so and grab what looks interesting. I always have at least one book I am reading. Right now I am finishing one up on the Romanovs. I have about eight books I am waiting for in the mail from a Christmas gift card I used.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Does anyone have any reading goals for the year? Last year I set a goal to read 60 books and finished with 64. This year I'm just going to read without a goal and see how many I tally up.

I never really set goals, and to be honest, I'm not sure how many books I read in a typical year. I'm almost always reading one book and listening to another on CD in my car. Now that I have a Kindle, I love being able to click on a book and have it ready to read a minute later. I've downloaded a lot of books for $2.99 or less and found some really good authors I'd never heard of.

As far as how many books I might read in a year, including the ones I listen to, I'd say about 40. I'd like to be able to read more, but the times I have to read are lunch and before bed. Lunch gives me a good 20-30 minutes a day, but I usually fall asleep pretty quickly at night.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
I'm not sure if I want to tell you that I love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series or that I hate it. It's frustrating as hell.

I'm halfway through book three and have been for about 2 months. He decided to focus on characters and storylines I just don't care for. I find myself always skimming ahead to see how much more I have to get through to get to a section I care about. 'Ugh, 60 more pages until more Tyrion....maybe tomorrow."