> 2014 Draft class
Stan Bahnsen
post Jan 23, 2014 -> 04:47 PM
Post #256

Starter

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,840

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 03:17 PM) *
I've warmed up to Kolek for a variety of reasons. The top of the draft is where you can and should be looking to take very high upside pitchers. The cost of quality pitching has gone through the roof in the past five years and you can never have too many quality young arms in the system. After Johnson we don't really have much in terms of starting pitching talent in the farm system, so adding Kolek would be a major boost to future pitching depth. I wouldn't be upset with selecting Turner, but I'd rather shoot for the potential #1-2 starting pitcher and develop him.

Sale - Kolek - Quintana - Johnson - Danks could be the rotation of a serious contender in a few years

Agreed with you up until this point. We have a few, and I would expect one or two more to emerge as real prospects by midsummer. Still, BPA is the only way to go, and I kinda hope that turns out to be a pitcher.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:42 PM
Post #257

Minor League Instructor

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 04:33 PM) *
Projecting a high school pitcher being in the rotation with John Danks? Yeah, no.

My guess is it'd be more like Sale-Quintana-Johnson-2 of Danish/Beck/Kolek

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:06 AM
Post #258

Minor League Instructor

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Most mocks have us taking Kolek.

I really want him or Turner at this point.

+Quote Post
Chilihead90
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:23 AM
Post #259

MVP

Member No.: 6,964

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:06 AM) *
http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Most mocks have us taking Kolek.

I really want him or Turner at this point.

Who is Baseball Draft Report and what sport did they think they were drafting for with that mock?

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:32 AM
Post #260

Minor League Instructor

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:23 AM) *
Who is Baseball Draft Report and what sport did they think they were drafting for with that mock?

"I’m totally cheating here in calling this a mock draft when it pretty obviously is not a mock draft. This is a mock draft only in that I put team names in front of my first 2014 big board. This is a mock draft in much the same way that Jonathan Givony at Draft Express puts together his early season pre-lottery mock drafts. This is a mock draft only because mock drafts hold much more mainstream appeal than a straight ranking. Calling this a “2014 MLB Draft Mock Draft” (!) gets you 100x the amount of eyeballs. I hate the idea of “selling out” with a mock draft, but I put a lot of time and thought into this list so I’m good with getting it a little extra attention if I can. So, really, it’s a ranking masquerading as a mock draft. Sneaky, right?"

"Draft order was made up by me. If you hate it, you’re kind of missing the point. Here are the players…"

+Quote Post
Chilihead90
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:02 AM
Post #261

MVP

Member No.: 6,964

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:32 AM) *
"I’m totally cheating here in calling this a mock draft when it pretty obviously is not a mock draft. This is a mock draft only in that I put team names in front of my first 2014 big board. This is a mock draft in much the same way that Jonathan Givony at Draft Express puts together his early season pre-lottery mock drafts. This is a mock draft only because mock drafts hold much more mainstream appeal than a straight ranking. Calling this a “2014 MLB Draft Mock Draft” (!) gets you 100x the amount of eyeballs. I hate the idea of “selling out” with a mock draft, but I put a lot of time and thought into this list so I’m good with getting it a little extra attention if I can. So, really, it’s a ranking masquerading as a mock draft. Sneaky, right?"

"Draft order was made up by me. If you hate it, you’re kind of missing the point. Here are the players…"

Well that's stupid. Baseball drafts on need less than any other sport. Most rankings would end up being nearly the same as a mock draft.

EDIT: But I'm also starting to this it's more likely that whoever compiled this mock database is the one who put "Roden", considering they listed "Rondon" as the other name. None of those are correct.

And does he explain why he decided to drop the Sox from the 3rd pick to the 9th pick?

This post has been edited by Chilihead90: Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:22 AM
Post #262

Minor League Instructor

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:02 AM) *
Well that's stupid. Baseball drafts on need less than any other sport. Most rankings would end up being nearly the same as a mock draft.

EDIT: But I'm also starting to this it's more likely that whoever compiled this mock database is the one who put "Roden", considering they listed "Rondon" as the other name. None of those are correct.

And does he explain why he decided to drop the Sox from the 3rd pick to the 9th pick?

He was bulls***ting the whole thing and made a new draft order.

+Quote Post
steveno89
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM
Post #263

Draft Pick

Member No.: 9,204

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 04:47 PM) *
Agreed with you up until this point. We have a few, and I would expect one or two more to emerge as real prospects by midsummer. Still, BPA is the only way to go, and I kinda hope that turns out to be a pitcher.

Ok take Danks out of the projected starting rotation, it was just an example.

But outside of Johnson, what starting pitching prospects do we have that get you at all excited? I like Danish, but still feel his sidearm action and quick release still project better as a reliever long term.

Beck hasn't shown the upside to be anything more than a #4 or 5 starter at best in the show. Yes, he did look much better after getting promoted to AA, but this incredibly low strikeout rate at A ball has me concerned. He needs to show solid improvement this year to be considered legitimate in my eyes.

Outside of these two, who in our system even projects to make the major leagues as a starting pitcher, let alone excel?

While I'd be happy to draft Turner, this shows how much we need to stock up on quality arms in the farm system. I like Keaton McKinney later in the draft, he has a solid frame, the best changeup of all HS pitchers and great control.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jan 24, 2014 -> 11:02 PM
Post #264

Minor League Instructor

What would you guys think of taking Jackson Reetz with our second pick if we took Kolek at #3?

+Quote Post
Joshua Strong
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 06:15 AM
Post #265

Kannapolis (Low A)

Member No.: 9,074

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 11:02 PM) *
What would you guys think of taking Jackson Reetz with our second pick if we took Kolek at #3?

Just because you draft a pitcher it doesn't mean that you need to draft a catcher, but with all that being said I am favor of them drafting Jakson Reetz. Reets is 6'1 and 190lbs and he will definitely be a catcher at the next level unlike Alex Jackson who will most likely switch a corner outfield spot. Reetz is a athletic backstop and he has a strong arm behind the plate, what separates him from other catching prospects is the fact that he can flat out hit. Some of the prospect blogs/magazines say that he compares favorably to Buster Posey.

+Quote Post
Stan Bahnsen
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 07:32 AM
Post #266

Starter

Member No.: 5,840

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 07:39 AM) *

But outside of Johnson, what starting pitching prospects do we have that get you at all excited? I like Danish, but still feel his sidearm action and quick release still project better as a reliever long term.

Beck hasn't shown the upside to be anything more than a #4 or 5 starter at best in the show. Yes, he did look much better after getting promoted to AA, but this incredibly low strikeout rate at A ball has me concerned. He needs to show solid improvement this year to be considered legitimate in my eyes.

Outside of these two, who in our system even projects to make the major leagues as a starting pitcher, let alone excel?

While I'd be happy to draft Turner, this shows how much we need to stock up on quality arms in the farm system. I like Keaton McKinney later in the draft, he has a solid frame, the best changeup of all HS pitchers and great control.

Keep your eyes on Olacio, Ortiz, and Montas, possibly Jaye, Lopez (when he returns), and potentially several others. Beck could make a significant move forward this year.

The first few months of the MiLB season should tell us a lot. By that time, you'll LOOOVVVE Danish, imo. I'm also confident that either our first or 2nd pick in this year's draft will be a nice addition to this list.

This post has been edited by Stan Bahnsen: Jan 25, 2014 -> 07:35 AM

+Quote Post
Y2JImmy0
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 10:43 AM
Post #267

Benchwarmer

Member No.: 7,420

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 8m
Hahn admits No. 3 draft pick in June probably will be spent on pitching. Four of top five guys available, as of now, are pitchers.

+Quote Post
flavum
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 10:49 AM
Post #268

Minor League Instructor

Member No.: 6,978

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 10:43 AM) *
Hahn admits No. 3 draft pick in June probably will be spent on pitching. Four of top five guys available, as of now, are pitchers.

That's fine. Stick with what you know.

Not sure what number pick the 2nd round pick is, but maybe that's where they take a high ceiling position player.

+Quote Post
raBBit
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:04 AM
Post #269

All-Star

Group: Forum Moderator
Member No.: 9,043

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 10:43 AM) *

Interesting that the only player he has publicly talked about is Trea Turner.

+Quote Post
Marty34
post Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:13 AM
Post #270

MVP

Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM) *

The organization's SP depth is vastly overstated by many on this board.

+Quote Post

185 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 11:10 PM