Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Just aw the end of Hit Stove, Rosenthal said Sox are showing interest in Samardjiza. (he didn't reveal his source).Cant even imagine what we would have to give up if it goes through, But Sale Q and Sam would be a nice 3 fit in the playoffs. Not sure how realistic it is of anything actually taking place through. Just wanted to throw this out there for a hope of a good established righty.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Just aw the end of Hit Stove, Rosenthal said Sox are showing interest in Samardjiza. (he didn't reveal his source).Cant even imagine what we would have to give up if it goes through, But Sale Q and Sam would be a nice 3 fit in the playoffs. Not sure how realistic it is of anything actually taking place through. Just wanted to throw this out there for a hope of a good established righty.

I saw it and really laugh. it seems as Rosenthal is getting his articles from the same

place a Levine.

the cost to obtain will be too much.

signing him before fa kicks in. too much.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I saw it and really laugh. it seems as Rosenthal is getting his articles from the same

place a Levine.

the cost to obtain will be too much.

signing him before fa kicks in. too much.

I agree totally. Just wanted to throw some more pipedream news out there that's fun to talk about in the off season

They're a team thin on infield prospects right? Anyone think they'd take Danks and Sanchez in a deal? To be clear, not for Samardzija but in a deal potentially for someone else? Just curious because they did pay both Cespedes and Johnson about $20 mill combined last season and Danks in under control for two more years and can probably pitch well in that ballpark.

Rosenthal does a good job. It just depends on the overall picture of what Hahn and Co. are trying to accomplish this winter. They don't want to waste years of Sale and Abreu being on the same team, so it's a balancing act of going for it while not mortgaging the future.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
They're a team thin on infield prospects right? Anyone think they'd take Danks and Sanchez in a deal? To be clear, not for Samardzija but in a deal potentially for someone else? Just curious because they did pay both Cespedes and Johnson about $20 mill combined last season and Danks in under control for two more years and can probably pitch well in that ballpark.

I think the A's are among the least likeliest teams to show any interest in John Danks unless it involved the Sox eating his contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Seeing their trade of Russell, the price probably starts with Anderson.

The difference is that they also got Hammel and they traded for a year and a half of control for Samardzija.

I'd play hardball and offer Cleuluis Rondon as the SS prospect they get in return. There's no need to break the bank on Samardzija.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
The difference is that they also got Hammel and they traded for a year and a half of control for Samardzija.

I'd play hardball and offer Cleuluis Rondon as the SS prospect they get in return. There's no need to break the bank on Samardzija.

There will be other teams who are willing to offer way more.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Rosenthal does a good job. It just depends on the overall picture of what Hahn and Co. are trying to accomplish this winter. They don't want to waste years of Sale and Abreu being on the same team, so it's a balancing act of going for it while not mortgaging the future.

you may be right. but I am looking at it this way. a reporter any reporter

looks for a story. Samardjiza played in Chicago. the sox may look for a

starter to be the #3 pitcher. Samardjiza will be a free agent next yr. Oak

is a smart org who will not be afraid to make a deal

why not sox and Samardjiza be a perfect marriage.

do not get me wrong on the sox getting a very good sp. I will write on

that later.

NO rents, please. Actually, I would trade Alexei (whom the could use) for Shark plus a top 80 prospect.

The As woefully overpaid for Shark. They gave up an elite prospect for him. They can't expect that return back.

Compare it to Lester - Lester is the better pitcher, they gave up 1.5 years of a good, but flawed, hitter for him. And a hitter for which there can be no QO and for which there will be no compensation. Value for value, the Lester trade was much better for the As.

If the Sox are going to lose a draft pick this year from signing a free agent, this could be a good way to get it back the following year when Valpo boy becomes a FA.

If the price isn't too high, I'm definitely interested, though there's no way Oakland takes Danks back in the deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
That's perfectly fine. There's no need for the Sox to acquire Samardzija. I'm not sure people realize he's already going to be 30 next season.

So are most of the other pitchers who are free agents this year are 30 plus. Not going to get to many good pitchers now of days hitting the market in their 20s. If you want a good pitcher in their 20s then you are going to give up a ton of prospects to get him.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)

I love the idea of that rotation. I just don't like the years you would have to give to Jeff.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
So are most of the other pitchers who are free agents this year are 30 plus. Not going to get to many good pitchers now of days hitting the market in their 20s. If you want a good pitcher in their 20s then you are going to give up a ton of prospects to get him.

The rumor this summer was that he was looking for Homer Bailey's deal, or 6/105.

I could see a deal of Sanchez and Johnson plus some filler. The A's need a lot of depth right now after going all in this season and their starters at both MI positions are free agents without much in the pipeline to replace them. The Sox then get a first round pick if Samardjzia walks to replace the prospects that they have to give up. Adding a #3 like Samardjzia makes the rotation pretty tough.

\

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)

I just don't think people realize how old he is.

Samardzija is a good pitcher, but I don't think he's the right gamble for the Sox to make [unless the price is right*]. There are plenty of free agents that they can sign for reasonable deals that are short-term, do not cost players, and are not going to be significant costs long-term.

Let someone who is closer and willing to make a long-term committment to Samardzija trade for him. That team should not be the White Sox.

*-I could put this on every post for any player, but I'm just going to stop. The gambles are always right if you get the right price, but so many times, the opportunity cost is too great for the Sox compared to other teams and it just won't happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
I would definitely trade for Jeff Samardzija, pending on an extension only. So we would need a negotiating window and if a deal cannot get done then no deal.

I would trade Micah Johnson, Hawkins, Beck and a fodder for Samardzija

If Oakland is agreeing to a 72 hour extension window, Samardzija is going to cost you Tim Anderson (plus more). The idea is that you can get him as a rental and either agree to an extension later in the year or get a first or second round pick for him after he leaves.