Crain has thrown from mound

southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2h2 hours ago

Jesse Crain feeling much better than last year at this time. Has thrown off the mound but won't rush things

Did Crain re-injure himself last year? My recollection was that he just never progressed to a point that he could play competitively, but that comment sort of makes it seem like he re-injured his shoulder while rehabbing with the Astros last year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
Did Crain re-injure himself last year? My recollection was that he just never progressed to a point that he could play competitively, but that comment sort of makes it seem like he re-injured his shoulder while rehabbing with the Astros last year.

I looked into this and it all seems like a mystery. He seemed to be on track for a June return, then that time came and passed, and there were only vague reports of experiencing setbacks given as explanation. Maybe he just wasn't important enough for more diligent reporting, but I can only gather that the medical staff couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Man, the 2013 pre-injury version of Crain would look great on this team. I always like that guy and don't think he got enough credit for how good he was with the Sox even in 2011,2012.

Time with Sox: 12-9, 2.10 ERA, 3.09 FIP, 1.167 WHIP, 2.71 K/BB, 3.5 fWAR in 150 innings.

Pre-injury 2013 Crain on this team is very scary.

I do like that there is genuine competition for the pen this year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
Pre-injury 2013 Crain on this team is very scary.

I do like that there is genuine competition for the pen this year.

I thought there would be competition last year, who knew how badly all of the vet flyers would fall off the face of the earth in Spring Training.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Crain threw from the mound again today and came off smiling.

Man, if he's even half of what he was 2 years ago, Sox have a steal in the pen.

Was looking at this pen from top to bottom, there is going to be a lot of competition but I think this group could be a strong point for the Sox this year. With guys like Petricka and Putnam being put where they fit and getting a true closer in Robertson, things have really improved. Add a real lefty or two and stiff competiton with Webb, Guerra, Crain and Albers for the last two spots and Jones coming back around July and this could be the key to the playoffs.

I was just reading an article from Dan Hayes saying Crain threw 25-30 fastballs and changeups. Later it said Crain had no plans on thowing any off speed pitches....duh, is it just me, but what the hell is a changeup. Do any of these writers ever proof read there articles.

Edited by midway

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/al-c...medium=facebook

Non-roster invitees Jesse Crain and Matt Albers could be significant boosts to the White Sox bullpen if healthy, writes MLB.com’s Scott Merkin. Crain is already further along than he was in an injury-plagued 2014 season in which he spent the entire year on the disabled list. He tells Merkin that he’s already throwing off a mound with just one day between sessions, which is something he didn’t do at all last year. As for Albers, Merkin interestingly notes that he nearly signed with the White Sox last offseason but instead chose to sign with the Astros, where he missed nearly the entire year after tearing a muscle in his shoulder.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 14m14 minutes ago

Crain mixed in a few sliders in his bullpen today. Excitement all around at White Sox camp over his progress

I guess short of a Brad Penny zombie ace season, Crain coming back is the most exciting of the flyers to me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
I guess short of a Brad Penny zombie ace season, Crain coming back is the most exciting of the flyers to me.

what will be his role??

when do you think he can make it back??

to tell you the truth, the pen is looking in being the strongest part of this coming season.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:55 AM)
Trying so hard to curb my expectations for Crain, but man is it exciting to think what he could provide if healthy... Replacing a guy like Cleto with Crain would be huge.

the sox just keeps getting pen arms. as i said earlier, this team is going to have a hell of a pen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
I guess as a reliever.

i guess i was wondering with all the other pitchers targeted for the pen, where in the order does anyone see him. ex... short rp, long rp.

further, can anyone see him start throwing game situation by the end of spring training.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
i guess i was wondering with all the other pitchers targeted for the pen, where in the order does anyone see him. ex... short rp, long rp.

further, can anyone see him start throwing game situation by the end of spring training.

If healthy and effective, he ideally would be your RH 8th inning set-up guy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
If healthy and effective, he ideally would be your RH 8th inning set-up guy.

thanks still brings up a interesting question, i wonder as of right now, who are on the short list to go north when the team breaks for the start of the season.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
thanks still brings up a interesting question, i wonder as of right now, who are on the short list to go north when the team breaks for the start of the season.

David Robertson

Zach Duke

That's your short list of guys who are guaranteed spots in the bullpen.