Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Insert Celeb Here) is Dead
Soxtalk.com > Special Interest Forums > SLaM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
knightni
Man, a lot of celebrities and "celebrities" dying lately.

I wonder who would be next?

Swayze?
KyYlE23
This is kind of morbid. I am going to go out on a limb and say it is going to be a surprise name. I think (unfortunately and sadly) Swayze will be soon, but I dont know when
lostfan
Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy to complete the second trio.
fathom
Elizabeth Taylor is my guess
knightni
QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:39 PM) *
Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy to complete the second trio.

You can tell me... you're helping that along, right?
lostfan
QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:46 PM) *
You can tell me... you're helping that along, right?

No, I wouldn't want radio stations to have an excuse to play their songs more.
knightni
QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 05:24 PM) *
No, I wouldn't want radio stations to have an excuse to play their songs more.

Dateline: 2012

...and here's another song off the new album from the secret vault of the late Lil' Wayne.
shipps
John Goodman

Amy Winehouse

Matthew McCounahey (ab infection)
danman31
Are we guessing or rooting? I can't tell (not that I'm offended, find it rather funny).

Amy Winehouse would make a lot of sense (on both sides of it...).
knightni
I asked who could be next. I'm not wanting anyone dead.
Soxy
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:45 PM) *
Elizabeth Taylor is my guess

Bite your tongue! (Or I guess sit on your hands. . .)
fathom
Judging by L. Lohan's picture on perezhilton.com tonight, she might be a good candidate.
juddling
As much as it would pain me to see.....Clint Eastwood is 79. he seems in good shape but he could be one to go soon
knightni
Can you believe that there are "Death Pool" sites out there where people make money guessing on who's going to die?

Some guy actually guessed Michael Jackson on his list.
BearSox
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:16 PM) *
Judging by L. Lohan's picture on perezhilton.com tonight, she might be a good candidate.

why???????????

What is the bigger question.... why did she have to become so ugly or why were you on perezhilton.com?
BearSox
QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:17 PM) *
As much as it would pain me to see.....Clint Eastwood is 79. he seems in good shape but he could be one to go soon

Clint Eastwood will never die.
MHizzle85
QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:37 PM) *
why???????????

What is the bigger question.... why did she have to become so ugly or why were you on perezhilton.com?

Drugs. She was near the top of my list around the time she made "Mean Girls"
Buehrle>Wood
I came in to post Brittney Spears and then I find out her real twitter page says she is dead. Weird. Wonder if it got hacked.
Brian
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 08:23 PM) *
I came in to post Brittney Spears and then I find out her real twitter page says she is dead. Weird. Wonder if it got hacked.

It did
knightni
How does a dead person type on Twitter?
Flash Tizzle
Hulk Hogan.

He'll be dead by next week. Heart attack.
BearSox
QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 08:27 PM) *
How does a dead person type on Twitter?

uh, you ever hear of ghosts?

You'd think some people were born yesterday with some of these questions.... biggrin.gif
Rex Kicka**
From what I gather, Walter Cronkite is in hospice.
SoxAce
Bob Barker. Pains me to say, but only a matter of time IMO.
whitesoxfan101
QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 12:13 AM) *
From what I gather, Walter Cronkite is in hospice.

Yeah, I read about a week ago that he's "gravely ill". He may be next.
Nixon
The Obama's new dog.
Milkman delivers
QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 06:21 PM) *
John Goodman

Amy Winehouse

Matthew McCounahey (ab infection)

I really hope not.
Tex
QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:34 PM) *
Can you believe that there are "Death Pool" sites out there where people make money guessing on who's going to die?

Some guy actually guessed Michael Jackson on his list.

We had a pool at an old office I worked at. Rules were simple; $25 per person, winner take all. 10 Celebs on your list, 100 points less their age. It ran from Jan 1 to Dec 1. Some definition of "celebrity". We'd have close to $1000 in the pool. Amazing how many people started reading People, Enquirer, etc starting in October
FlaSoxxJim
QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:34 AM) *
We had a pool at an old office I worked at. Rules were simple; $25 per person, winner take all. 10 Celebs on your list, 100 points less their age. It ran from Jan 1 to Dec 1. Some definition of "celebrity". We'd have close to $1000 in the pool. Amazing how many people started reading People, Enquirer, etc starting in October

That's pretty well thought out with the 100 points - age component. Our pools never had anything as logical as that and usually the person who loaded up their list with 90 year old celebrities did the best. We've tried a double and triple point score for real longshot picks but then it got into what really is and isn't a longshot. A young person with known alcohol and drug issues is a pretty good dead pool pick.

Been a few years since I've participated in a pool — more out of never getting around to putting a list together in time than anything because I don't finf them particularly morbid or in bad taste.
CanOfCorn
So...who had Gale Storm???

*Sigh*
FlaSoxxJim
QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:45 AM) *
So...who had Gale Storm???

*Sigh*

I may have to turn in my Trivia Geek card because I had no clue who gale Storm was when I saw that story yesterday.
BigSqwert
Meteorologist?
FlaSoxxJim
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:48 AM) *
Meteorologist?

Hah! No, she was a sitcom pioneer who started out on My Little Margie back in the 50s if I remember yesterday's story correctly.
CanOfCorn
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:52 AM) *
Hah! No, she was a sitcom pioneer who started out on My Little Margie back in the 50s if I remember yesterday's story correctly.

I figured you, of all people, would know her. Not because of your geek card, but because you are old enough to remember watching My Little Margie!
CanOfCorn
Also, did we list Fred Travalena somewhere???
FlaSoxxJim
QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:54 AM) *
I figured you, of all people, would know her. Not because of your geek card, but because you are old enough to remember watching My Little Margie!

You'd think so, I know. But by the time Pa picked us up from the prairie schoolhouse and drove us home in the oxcart every day the show would already be over.

mad.gif
CanOfCorn
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:58 AM) *
You'd think so, I know. But by the time Pa picked us up from the prairie schoolhouse and drove us home in the oxcart every day the show would already be over.

mad.gif

I thought you walked to school, in the snow, barefoot, uphill...both ways.
Tex
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:42 AM) *
That's pretty well thought out with the 100 points - age component. Our pools never had anything as logical as that and usually the person who loaded up their list with 90 year old celebrities did the best. We've tried a double and triple point score for real longshot picks but then it got into what really is and isn't a longshot. A young person with known alcohol and drug issues is a pretty good dead pool pick.

Been a few years since I've participated in a pool — more out of never getting around to putting a list together in time than anything because I don't finf them particularly morbid or in bad taste.

Thank you, I worked out the scoring, which was much easier than working out a definition of "celebrity". A "Tex Rule" was added after I added Guinevere Garcia to my list. Basically the old definition was someone had to be famous enough to have an article in the Sun Times or Trib announcing his/her death.

Through the years there were some strange picks.
Steve9347
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 12:26 AM) *
Bob Barker. Pains me to say, but only a matter of time IMO.

That's normally how it works... with everybody.
CanOfCorn
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 02:23 PM) *
That's normally how it works... with everybody.

*sigh* I hate you right now Steve. Absolutely hate you.
Steve9347
QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 04:23 PM) *
*sigh* I hate you right now Steve. Absolutely hate you.

biggrin.gif
EvilJester99
He isn't really a celeb but I would say Steve Jobs....
Tex
QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 06:06 PM) *

He would have easily passed our celeb test.
Nixon
QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:06 PM) *

It's kind of funny that people would hesitate to call a guy who is famous for making his company tons of money a celebrity. Would anyone hesitate to call Paris Hilton a celeb?
Tex
QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:01 AM) *
It's kind of funny that people would hesitate to call a guy who is famous for making his company tons of money a celebrity. Would anyone hesitate to call Paris Hilton a celeb?

I think he is more a celebrity for leading the company that has designed some amazing products.
CanOfCorn
QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:10 AM) *
I think he is more a celebrity for leading the company that has designed some amazing products.

Steve Jobs is not a celebrity...he is a well-known public figure.
ChiSox_Sonix
QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:01 AM) *

So basically you're saying he's a celebrity...
Nixon
QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:01 AM) *

ce⋅leb⋅ri⋅ty
  /səˈlɛbrɪti/[suh-leb-ri-tee]

–noun, plural -ties for 1.
1. a famous or well-known person.
FlaSoxxJim
That's why most dead pools concern themselves with dead FAMOUS people. That way it doesn't matter if your fame is due to you being a political figure, an entertainer, a renowned author, artist, scientist, etc. You're famous, and if you're dead and famous somebody gets the points and thanks for playing.
Athomeboy_2000
QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 06:06 PM) *

I dont think he is next to go. but in the next 5-10, yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.