Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Book Thread
Soxtalk.com > Special Interest Forums > SLaM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Tex
This one usually dies a quick death, but why not try?

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and it was every bit as good as the reviews. The writing fit so tight with the mood and tone of the piece. I finished it in a couple evenings and seriously had trouble sleeping last night. I have not seen the movie, and probably will resist renting it. My son presented it to me this Christmas, I hope he isn't hoping I die.
southsider2k5
I read an excellent book a couple of months ago called "Outrage, passion, and uncommon sense" about the historical best editorial writers in the US. Great book.
iamshack
Read Steve Jobs' biography, which was outstandingly done.

Tex, glad you enjoyed The Road. I've had it for about 3 years now and have not been able to make myself read it after reading No Country for Old Men....McCarthy's writing style is definitely something.

Tex
His writing matched the setting better than any book I can remember reading. I did struggle to sleep last night. Weird dreams and waking up disoriented. It was simultaneously a very easy read and a difficult one. Lots of layers.

I am planning on reading No Country for Old Men after Lonesome Dove. I am also filling in some books I should have read, but somehow avoided. Lord of the Flies is in the que as well. I kind of took a break from any real literature and read a couple C.J. Box books (very good vacation reads) and a couple Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books.
pittshoganerkoff
QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:51 AM) *
His writing matched the setting better than any book I can remember reading. I did struggle to sleep last night. Weird dreams and waking up disoriented. It was simultaneously a very easy read and a difficult one. Lots of layers.

I am planning on reading No Country for Old Men after Lonesome Dove. I am also filling in some books I should have read, but somehow avoided. Lord of the Flies is in the que as well. I kind of took a break from any real literature and read a couple C.J. Box books (very good vacation reads) and a couple Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books.

Love the C. J. Box books. I'm in the middle of Cold Wind right now. As far as The Road, very disturbing read, but wonderfully written.
Tex
I read Cold Wind this past week while huddled in a very cold tent in Big Bend. I won't spoil it for you, but the ending exceeded my expectations. Not what I was expecting but better. My gf was reading Free Fire which is the only other one of his I have read. Which btw got me hooked. I was looking for a book set in Yellowstone, because I will be visiting there this summer.
JPN366
I got a Kindle for X-Mas, so I've loaded it up with books to read. I'm working on "Those Guys Have All The Fun" and have over a 100 more books ready to read.
FlaSoxxJim
Wanting to do some fairly low impact reading over the holidays I got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Very enjoyable.
PlaySumFnJurny
I haven't read Steven King in years, but I asked for "11/22/63" for Christmas, as it seemed to have an interesting premise. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

I really liked "The Art of Fielding." It has a baseball backdrop, but really can't be called a "baseball book."

Finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ahead of seeing the movie, and found it to be a rare instance of my liking the film better. For me, the 1st 2/3 of the book really dragged.

And I feel like a real heathen for saying this, but "The Road" bored me silly.
kjshoe04
I also really enjoyed "The Art of Fielding." One of the best books I read in 2011. The Road was really hard to read at the beginning but once I got into McCarthy's style it became a lot easier and I enjoyed it. Currently reading "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Not as good as Ender's Game so far but still excellent.
iamshack
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:05 PM) *
I also really enjoyed "The Art of Fielding." One of the best books I read in 2011. The Road was really hard to read at the beginning but once I got into McCarthy's style it became a lot easier and I enjoyed it. Currently reading "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Not as good as Ender's Game so far but still excellent.

Well this makes me feel better...maybe this was my problem as well...when I read No Country, I hated his style, but the story was good, so I stuck with it. I've heard even better things about The Road, so I guess I'll try and get through the beginning...this will be one of my New Years' resolutions smile.gif

Also have Game of Thrones on iPad, along with Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder.

Oh! Has anyone read Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts"? I bought that one on the iPad too and forgot about it...
kjshoe04
I'm not sure if I want to tell you that I love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series or that I hate it. It's frustrating as hell.
Tex
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:28 PM) *
Wanting to do some fairly low impact reading over the holidays I got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Very enjoyable.

I am teaching the first book in the series. My 8th graders really seem to enjoy it. They are finally understanding the parallels to reality TV shows.
Disco72
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:09 PM) *
Well this makes me feel better...maybe this was my problem as well...when I read No Country, I hated his style, but the story was good, so I stuck with it. I've heard even better things about The Road, so I guess I'll try and get through the beginning...this will be one of my New Years' resolutions smile.gif

Also have Game of Thrones on iPad, along with Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder.

Oh! Has anyone read Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts"? I bought that one on the iPad too and forgot about it...

It was good, not great, imo. Interesting but not nearly as compelling as The Devil in the White City.
iamshack
QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:59 PM) *
It was good, not great, imo. Interesting but not nearly as compelling as The Devil in the White City.

That's disappointing...

I'll add my thoughts when I finish it up, hopefully within a few weeks.
southsider2k5
QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:39 PM) *
I haven't read Steven King in years, but I asked for "11/22/63" for Christmas, as it seemed to have an interesting premise. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

I really liked "The Art of Fielding." It has a baseball backdrop, but really can't be called a "baseball book."

Finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ahead of seeing the movie, and found it to be a rare instance of my liking the film better. For me, the 1st 2/3 of the book really dragged.

Please let me know what you think. I have been going back and forth on buying it.
PlaySumFnJurny
QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:59 PM) *

I second this re "In the Garden of the Beasts," but to be fair, "White City" is a hard one to match, let alone top.
The Baconator
I'm hoping this thread sticks around. I started up a pseudo book club with a couple buddies a few months ago (shared Google doc of books to be read, etc) and I looked around to see if there was a thread on here that would have some suggestions. I enjoy legal/spy thrillers like those written by David Baldacci and Michael Connolly. Any other suggestions for authors or titles?
iamshack
QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 04:00 PM) *
I'm hoping this thread sticks around. I started up a pseudo book club with a couple buddies a few months ago (shared Google doc of books to be read, etc) and I looked around to see if there was a thread on here that would have some suggestions. I enjoy legal/spy thrillers like those written by David Baldacci and Michael Connolly. Any other suggestions for authors or titles?

Read Joseph Finder...he writes stuff that could be described as "corporate espionage."

Pick up "Paranoia"...one of my favorites...
pittshoganerkoff
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 07:52 AM) *
Read Joseph Finder...he writes stuff that could be described as "corporate espionage."

Pick up "Paranoia"...one of my favorites...

Paranoia was the first of his books I read. I was hooked. I've read about 6 or so since.
pittshoganerkoff
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:28 PM) *

I'm about halfway through the first book. Very easy to read, and it's quite enjoyable. I'll probably have my kids read it and then take them to see the movie in March.
kjshoe04
Does anyone have any reading goals for the year? Last year I set a goal to read 60 books and finished with 64. This year I'm just going to read without a goal and see how many I tally up.
southsider2k5
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 10:47 AM) *
Does anyone have any reading goals for the year? Last year I set a goal to read 60 books and finished with 64. This year I'm just going to read without a goal and see how many I tally up.

I don't set goals. I just hit the bargain bins at BAM and Barnes and Noble downtown once a week or so and grab what looks interesting. I always have at least one book I am reading. Right now I am finishing one up on the Romanovs. I have about eight books I am waiting for in the mail from a Christmas gift card I used.
pittshoganerkoff
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 10:47 AM) *

I never really set goals, and to be honest, I'm not sure how many books I read in a typical year. I'm almost always reading one book and listening to another on CD in my car. Now that I have a Kindle, I love being able to click on a book and have it ready to read a minute later. I've downloaded a lot of books for $2.99 or less and found some really good authors I'd never heard of.

As far as how many books I might read in a year, including the ones I listen to, I'd say about 40. I'd like to be able to read more, but the times I have to read are lunch and before bed. Lunch gives me a good 20-30 minutes a day, but I usually fall asleep pretty quickly at night.
Jenksismybitch
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:13 PM) *
I'm not sure if I want to tell you that I love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series or that I hate it. It's frustrating as hell.

I'm halfway through book three and have been for about 2 months. He decided to focus on characters and storylines I just don't care for. I find myself always skimming ahead to see how much more I have to get through to get to a section I care about. 'Ugh, 60 more pages until more Tyrion....maybe tomorrow."
dasox24
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:28 PM) *

I finished The Hunger Games the other day and just started Catching Fire last night. So far, so good. Really enjoyable books.
WHarris1
Really want to start reading American Sniper. Has anyone on here read it?
kjshoe04
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:57 AM) *
I'm halfway through book three and have been for about 2 months. He decided to focus on characters and storylines I just don't care for. I find myself always skimming ahead to see how much more I have to get through to get to a section I care about. 'Ugh, 60 more pages until more Tyrion....maybe tomorrow."

The second half of book three is my favorite of the entire series. Book 4 and 5 took me forever to get through. I'm still intrigued enough where I'm going to finish the series but a lot of those last two books felt like a chore.
Iwritecode

I've got about 40 pages left to read, but I pretty much know how it ends because I'm a sucker for spoilers. At 800+ pages it's one of his longer books but I've really enjoyed it.

I've heard people complain that the middle part gets boring but it technically "starts" in 1958 and 5 years is a lot of time to cover. I can also see the reason he made the time span so long. I keep thinking of Back to the Future when I read it but even thinking of the time that's passed from when those movies were made until now is amazing. Marty McFly never missed not having a cell phone or the internet when he time travelled.

I've also heard that it's one of his best endings and after I read it for myself, I think I will agree.

Ditto ph34r.gif
kjshoe04
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:44 PM) *
I've got about 40 pages left to read, but I pretty much know how it ends because I'm a sucker for spoilers. At 800+ pages it's one of his longer books but I've really enjoyed it.

I've heard people complain that the middle part gets boring but it technically "starts" in 1958 and 5 years is a lot of time to cover. I can also see the reason he made the time span so long. I keep thinking of Back to the Future when I read it but even thinking of the time that's passed from when those movies were made until now is amazing. Marty McFly never missed not having a cell phone or the internet when he time travelled.

I've also heard that it's one of his best endings and after I read it for myself, I think I will agree.

Ditto ph34r.gif

Thanks for the input on King's new book. I think maybe I'll make that my new read since I've had it on my Kindle since it came out but haven't started it yet.
Iwritecode
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:47 PM) *
Thanks for the input on King's new book. I think maybe I'll make that my new read since I've had it on my Kindle since it came out but haven't started it yet.

I've noticed that some of his stories tend to start slow and pick up steam as you continue on. This one really hooked me from the first few pages.

It also helps if you've read IT before this as some of the characters and places from that book make an appearance.
JPN366
FYI...Amazon's Kindle store has lots of free books. Anything that came out before 1923 is free and I always skim through the top 100 free books.
farmteam
Simultaneously reading MacCullough's Truman biography, and the Big Switch by Harry Turtledove.
Heads22
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:40 PM) *
FYI...Amazon's Kindle store has lots of free books. Anything that came out before 1923 is free and I always skim through the top 100 free books.

Found any good ones?
pittshoganerkoff
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:45 AM) *
Found any good ones?

I'm a bargain hunter when it comes to buying stuff for my Kindle. If a book is $10 or so on Kindle, I'll go old school and get it from the library. For the most part, every book I've downloaded has been less than $5, and many have been $2.99 or less. A few standouts were Wet Desert by Gary Hansen ($2.99), No Good Deed by M. P. McDonald ($2.99), Brainrush by Richard Bard ($.99), and Suckers by Jack Kilborn and Jeff Strand ($2.99).
Jenksismybitch
QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:15 AM) *
Simultaneously reading MacCullough's Truman biography, and the Big Switch by Harry Turtledove.

I thought Truman was good. Pretty dense stuff though.
Steve9347
I've been reading a lot more since I bought my Nook Tablet. Mainly, because it's super easy to download books for free for Kindle and Nook.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, was an absolute blast to read. Anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game would absolutely adore that book.

I just started the new Stephen King last night and am geeking out over it. The first 100 pages flew by and I cannot wait to finish that quickly.
Steve9347
FYI, for free books, just download http://calibre-ebook.com/

Google the book you want and add either .mobi or .epub after. Find the file, download, and load it into Calibre which allows you to place on your device.
JPN366
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:45 AM) *
Found any good ones?

A few.
farmteam
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 08:45 AM) *
I thought Truman was good. Pretty dense stuff though.

That's probably as well as I could describe it at this point (I'm about 1/3 of the way through).
kjshoe04
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:06 AM) *
I've been reading a lot more since I bought my Nook Tablet. Mainly, because it's super easy to download books for free for Kindle and Nook.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, was an absolute blast to read. Anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game would absolutely adore that book.

I just started the new Stephen King last night and am geeking out over it. The first 100 pages flew by and I cannot wait to finish that quickly.

I will probably have to read Ready Player One after I finish the new Stephen King myself. I'm a huge fan of Ender's game.
kjshoe04
Also has anyone here read "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss? If you are a fan of fantasy it is one of my favorites and would highly recommend it.
Heads22
Downloaded Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Saw the ads for the movie for the first time in New York and it's been stuck in my head since.
kjshoe04
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:01 PM) *
Downloaded Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Saw the ads for the movie for the first time in New York and it's been stuck in my head since.

I saw the previews on Christmas and my cousin told me it was a good read so I went home and downloaded it as well. Hopefully I get to it eventually.
Heads22
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 07:28 AM) *
I saw the previews on Christmas and my cousin told me it was a good read so I went home and downloaded it as well. Hopefully I get to it eventually.

Two chapters in and it's certainly different enough that I like it so far.
docsox24
Just finished The Art of Fielding. I liked it and the baseball story made it an easy read. Also read Manhunt, the search for John Wilkes Booth. Excellent with a lot of detail.
The Critic
I finally finished Bob Mould's autobio, and I just picked up two books I'm excited to read:

Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC by Mark Evans
Surviving The Ramones by DeeDee Ramone

As you can probably tell, I prefer biographies to fiction.
Cali
I'm no King fanatic, but I dug 11/22/63. But I'm also a sucker for time travel and alternate universes kind of s***. What was creepy was I finished the book on 11/22/11...didn't even realize it until like halfway though the day haha.

I'm excited for the second part of The Passage trilogy to come out. The Twelve comes out in August. I'm re-reading The Passage now so it'll be fresh on my mind when I start the next book cause I've heard that it takes place at the same time as the first book...
docsox24
QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 11:50 AM) *
I finally finished Bob Mould's autobio, and I just picked up two books I'm excited to read:

Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC by Dave Evans
Surviving The Ramones by DeeDee Ramone

As you can probably tell, I prefer biographies to fiction.

I like bios too. One of my favorites was the one on Houdini.
southsider2k5
QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:04 PM) *
I like bios too. One of my favorites was the one on Houdini.

Sort of off topic, the last Decoded was on Houdini's death. I had no idea the type of life the guy lived. Wow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.