Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Pet Thread
Soxtalk.com > Special Interest Forums > SLaM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
iamshack
Does anyone feed their dog/cat a raw diet? If so, what?

If you feed them a regular kibble or wet food diet, what brand do you buy?

What are your experiences with your dog's diet? Allergies or other expensive vet bills?
GoSox05
My dog supports the vegan lifestyle. Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food.

He is one of these crazy animal right dogs.
Brian
When I first got my dog, I took him to training classes when he was old enough at Petsmart. The lady trainers said she recommends foods high in protiend, specifically endorsed Pedigree and Purina. Specified that you should not feed your dog what your vet gives you at their office as they are probably getting paid to do that.
Case in point, our vet gave us some kind of Science Diet and it gave my pup the runs. Never head a problem with Pedigree and Purina stuff. Only when I give him too much rawhide, will he get tummy aches but that is my fault and I portion it.

He will be 2 in May and he is fully potty trained but still wants to go out and tinkle every 2 hours. I used to give him a treat after he pee'd so figured maybe he was going out so frequently just to get a treat so I started just giving him a treat after he went #2 and it worked.

Lots of learning as I go with him.
iamshack
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:11 AM) *
My dog supports the vegan lifestyle. Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food.

He is one of these crazy animal right dogs.

Interesting...what inspired you to feed him that?
Brian
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 10:53 AM) *
Interesting...what inspired you to feed him that?

He hates his dog. I keed I keed.
iamshack
QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:51 AM) *
When I first got my dog, I took him to training classes when he was old enough at Petsmart. The lady trainers said she recommends foods high in protiend, specifically endorsed Pedigree and Purina. Specified that you should not feed your dog what your vet gives you at their office as they are probably getting paid to do that.
Case in point, our vet gave us some kind of Science Diet and it gave my pup the runs. Never head a problem with Pedigree and Purina stuff. Only when I give him too much rawhide, will he get tummy aches but that is my fault and I portion it.

He will be 2 in May and he is fully potty trained but still wants to go out and tinkle every 2 hours. I used to give him a treat after he pee'd so figured maybe he was going out so frequently just to get a treat so I started just giving him a treat after he went #2 and it worked.

Lots of learning as I go with him.

Hills (the company that makes Science Diet) basically owns the veterinary industry in the US. They subsidize the schools, the clinics, you name it. Therefore, most veterinarians will straight-up lie to your face about what your pet should be eating and why what you are feeding him (if it's not Science Diet) is not the ideal food for him. Imagine your doctor telling you that you shouldn't feed your children free-range meat and organic vegetables, but instead Hungry Man dinners?

When it comes to protein, however, there are all sorts of arguments out there regarding how much a dog needs. The bigger question is what is the quality of the protein. Not the quantity.
LittleHurt05
10-year old lab mix, always have just fed him Purina Dog Chow, recently switched him to the Senior (7+) chow. (Don't tell anyone, he doesn't like people knowing his age)

The PetSmart near us has a Banfield hospital inside. We have the pooch on their wellness plan. About $32/month, every year it includes 2 health exams, all needed shots, & a dental cleaning, which alone makes it a great deal. Also, gives discounts on any other medicines/services you may need.
Soxbadger
High protein isnt necessarily good, especially in cats because of kidney disease.

iamshack
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:59 AM) *
10-year old lab mix, always have just fed him Purina Dog Chow, recently switched him to the Senior (7+) chow. (Don't tell anyone, he doesn't like people knowing his age)

The PetSmart near us has a Banfield hospital inside. We have the pooch on their wellness plan. About $32/month, every year it includes 2 health exams, all needed shots, & a dental cleaning, which alone makes it a great deal. Also, gives discounts on any other medicines/services you may need.

You'd be surprised at how little you need from the vet when you invest that money into their diet instead.

Brian
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:03 AM) *
You'd be surprised at how little you need from the vet when you invest that money into their diet instead.

I had to take my dog to them once becuase he got sick on a Wed when my vet was closed. They tried to get me to pay for all that medical stuff and I wasnt having it. You don't need it.
LittleHurt05
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:03 AM) *

We just started going there about a year ago. They definitely try to sell you up on all kinds of extra stuff. Before that, the only time we ever visited a vet was to get his shots up to date. Just fed him the store-bought Purina food and he always stayed healthy for the most part, lucky for us.
iamshack
The thing about the veterinary clinics is they understand what their livelihood depends upon, which is you bringing your pet into them with all kinds of annoying allergy problems that cost you thousands of dollars over the life of your pet. They also understand what causes these same allergy problems is the crappy foods they recommend you feed your pet (which is why they recommend them instead of common sense things like, umm, real vegetables and meats).

If you actually invest the money you waste at the vet on silly allergies or other maladies related to diet, on the actual diet, you will find your pet enjoys eating more, has more energy, has a cleaner, softer, shinier coat, brighter eyes, is at his ideal weight, and will age much better.

Oh, and you hardly ever have to take him back to the vet. wink.gif
KyYlE23
I have fed my dogs Nutro Natural Choice for the past 12 years. It doesnt have filler(read: corn) that other major brands have(Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba), so there is less stool and more compact stool, easier to clean and easier to notice when your dog isnt feeling well.

No rawhide for my dogs either, i have read too many horror stories about intestinal blockage from dogs swallowing whole pieces of rawhide. So i just get Mammoth bones(cow femurs) and pig ears for my dogs to chew. Before my basset Clark passed away he went to the vet for a checkup last year and i was told that his teeth were remarkable for a dog his age(he was 13). Im sticking with what I do, it has worked so far. There are other really good dog food brands that i would consider though, Royal Canin is one of them.

I have never tried the raw food diet, but I did watch a Dog Whisperer episode with a family that did with their great danes. It seemed incredibly expensive to me, but its your money and if you think your dog is worth it go for it.
Jenksismybitch
Our boston terrier eats Science Diet lamb and rice with a side of a potato chip every now and again. She also gets an old-dog treat with gluclosamine for joint pain/arthritis because she had a luxated putella as a puppy. Once we started with the treats she's never had it again (4+years...knocks on wood).

She never has any health problems and has one of the best coats i've ever seen with a boston. Cheap hint: grab a bottle of the fish oil pills they sell at walgreens in the drug aisles. That really makes the coat shine.

I also get into a fight every year with my wife about taking the dog and our two cats to the vet. They're beyond their shots so it's just routine check-ups at this point. I refuse to spend 100-150 bucks or more so they can look at their poop, check their weight, etc. If they have any serious problems I'm sure we'd be able to tell.

iamshack
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:33 PM) *
I have fed my dogs Nutro Natural Choice for the past 12 years. It doesnt have filler(read: corn) that other major brands have(Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba), so there is less stool and more compact stool, easier to clean and easier to notice when your dog isnt feeling well.

No rawhide for my dogs either, i have read too many horror stories about intestinal blockage from dogs swallowing whole pieces of rawhide. So i just get Mammoth bones(cow femurs) and pig ears for my dogs to chew. Before my basset Clark passed away he went to the vet for a checkup last year and i was told that his teeth were remarkable for a dog his age(he was 13). Im sticking with what I do, it has worked so far. There are other really good dog food brands that i would consider though, Royal Canin is one of them.

I have never tried the raw food diet, but I did watch a Dog Whisperer episode with a family that did with their great danes. It seemed incredibly expensive to me, but its your money and if you think your dog is worth it go for it.

I feed mine a raw diet and it costs me an arm and a leg. You can actually do it for a similar cost to the quality dry foods, but you have to be willing to deal with a lot of disgusting raw meats and organs and stuff.

I feed them a chicken or turkey with vegetables and ground bone from a company called Darwin's out of Seattle. It's the best and most reasonably (still ridiculous) priced balanced raw diet I can find. I also feed them green tripe from a supplier out of Hollister, CA, which they go absolutely bonkers for. I supplement these with sweet potatoes and carrots when they are available in bulk in my area.

I am getting another GD pup in a month or so, and so I have realized I need to figure out a cheaper way to do this, but I don't want to lower the quality of their food. I am just going to have to work a bit harder, by getting things from my local butcher and doing the dirty work myself, rather than having some hipster company do all of it for me. I found a butcher that will sell me chicken backs in 40 lb packages for about .50 a pound. This is going to become a main staple of their diet, to be supplemented with the other products I mentioned above.

A few months from now, I'm going to be looking at feeding 8-10 pounds a day, so $3/lb isn't going to work so well anymore.
Chilihead90
I don't remember what our dog gets. IAMS maybe? My brother just got a golden retriever puppy a couple weeks ago, and I am so excited to go home next weekend and play with her!

Also, if you guys don't use an auto-matic feeder for your pets, you NEED to start doing this when you get a new pet (your current animal might flip out and eat itself in to a coma).

This looks like the one we have for dog food.

We've had it my whole life with both the dogs we have had. And then they drink from a similar thing, but smaller, and obviously for water.

It's the best. No one has ever had to "feed the dog", just refill the feeder every couple weeks or so. I have never been to anyone's house who has one of these, and I don't understand why. People too lazy to train their dog to have self control?
Iwritecode
We've got a 13-year-old Husky that has eaten Purina Dog chow pretty much his whole life. In the past couple of years he's started to gain some weight We think it's because he has arthritis. He's not nearly as active as when he was younger and he's really slow to lay down and get back up again. We also finally had him neutered and that really slowed him down as well.

We've also got a 3-year-old Shar-pei/Pug mix and she eats Purina Beneful. She chases the Husky around and keeps him a little more active than he would be on his own otherwise.
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:45 PM) *
I don't remember what our dog gets. IAMS maybe? My brother just got a golden retriever puppy a couple weeks ago, and I am so excited to go home next weekend and play with her!

Also, if you guys don't use an auto-matic feeder for your pets, you NEED to start doing this when you get a new pet (your current animal might flip out and eat itself in to a coma).

We've had it my whole life with both the dogs we have had. And then they drink from a similar thing, but smaller, and obviously for water.

It's the best. No one has ever had to "feed the dog", just refill the feeder every couple weeks or so. I have never been to anyone's house who has one of these, and I don't understand why. People too lazy to train their dog to have self control?

What is the benefit of doing this?
KyYlE23
Geez Shack, you better get to breeding those dogs and get a return on your investment! 24-30 bucks a day is no joke!
iamshack
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:00 PM) *
Geez Shack, you better get to breeding those dogs and get a return on your investment! 24-30 bucks a day is no joke!

I know...right now it costs me about half that and I just paid it rather than deal with the disgusting poultry parts and what not...but with another dog on the way I just refuse to spend that kind of money, and yet I don't want the dogs to suffer for it. So disgusting chicken backs and turkey necks, here I come!
KyYlE23
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:45 PM) *

Wait, you are using a self feeder for your dogs, and you call others lazy for not teaching their dogs self control?

What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Many dogs will completely gorge themselves until food is not available, you can't just teach them to eat until their stomachs are full. It is great it works for you, doesn't mean it would work for me. And I know it wouldn't.
iamshack
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:04 PM) *
Wait, you are using a self feeder for your dogs, and you call others lazy for not teaching their dogs self control?

What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Many dogs will completely gorge themselves until food is not available, you can't just teach them to eat until their stomachs are full. It is great it works for you, doesn't mean it would work for me. And I know it wouldn't.

Besides the fact that a dog's gastrointestinal system does not work the same way as a human's. A dog needs to eat once or at most, twice a day once it reaches maturity. Not constantly or several times a day. Most of the dog's digestion occurs in the stomach, and that muscle needs time to rest because it works very hard to break down the food dogs digest for energy. Once the stomach stops working and rests, the liver begins to transform fats from the body into carbohydrates. However, if the stomach is always busy digesting, the liver never undertakes this function. Without this function, the dog isn't able to sustain efficient use of its fat reserves for its energy.

Brian
If I got one of those things, my dog would eat until he puked, than start eating again. He is only 35 lbs and give him 1/2 cup 3 or 4 time a day. If I give him a cup at a time, he throws up.
Cali
I'd contribute by me and my girlfriend only have cats, and this seems to be a dog heavy thread haha
southsider2k5
QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:52 PM) *
I'd contribute by me and my girlfriend only have cats, and this seems to be a dog heavy thread haha

We've got cats too. Dogs are too damned high maintenance. We don't have the time they should get.
iamshack
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:01 PM) *
We've got cats too. Dogs are too damned high maintenance. We don't have the time they should get.

What is the Jack Nicholson line from Good as it Gets?

Something like a dog gives his affection freely, but you have to EARN a cat's affection?
Chilihead90
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:04 PM) *

Lol, good point.

And both dogs we have owned have eaten this way their whole lives w/ us. They eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. Neither ever had any sort of problems., and neither dog was overweight. Maybe we just had really smart dogs? Or maybe golden retrievers are smarter than a typical dog? Like I said, my brother just got a golden puppy a couple weeks ago and he just purchased a similar feeder. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I am willing to bet it works for more dogs than you would think, as long as you start it when they are puppies.
Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:54 PM) *
What is the benefit of doing this?

?????? I mean, it should be obvious, so the dog can eat when it wants, and you never have to put food out?
LittleHurt05
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:25 PM) *
Lol, good point.

And both dogs we have owned have eaten this way their whole lives w/ us. They eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. Neither ever had any sort of problems., and neither dog was overweight. Maybe we just had really smart dogs? Or maybe golden retrievers are smarter than a typical dog? Like I said, my brother just got a golden puppy a couple weeks ago and he just purchased a similar feeder. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I am willing to bet it works for more dogs than you would think, as long as you start it when they are puppies.

Now that I think about it, that thing could actually work for our dog. He's too old to try it now. But we feed him twice a day, half the time he won't eat it right away. Sometimes he eats half, sometimes he goes a whole day without eating. He seems to have the only eat when you are hungry thing down anyway.
Chilihead90
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:28 PM) *
Now that I think about it, that thing could actually work for our dog. He's too old to try it now. But we feed him twice a day, half the time he won't eat it right away. Sometimes he eats half, sometimes he goes a whole day without eating. He seems to have the only eat when you are hungry thing down anyway.

Are you planning on getting a dog after this one? You could always get one, try it with your current dog, and if he isn't using it properly, then you can just hold on to it for when you get another dog. It's seriously such a convenience. And I think this also contributes to our dogs never taking food off tables, plates, or any food that is not theirs. If it's not given to her directly, put on the floor, or in her feeder, she won't eat it. Completely different story when compared to my grandma's lab who does NOT have an automatic feeder and is prone to jumping up and grabbing food off the counter top, opening drawers and eating food, and trying to eat groceries. I guess when our dogs are never scared of being deprived of food, they don't feel the need to get in trouble by stealing food.
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:26 PM) *
?????? I mean, it should be obvious, so the dog can eat when it wants, and you never have to put food out?

??????

If it's so much work to feed your dog once or twice a day, why bother getting a dog in the first place?

Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:34 PM) *
??????

If it's so much work to feed your dog once or twice a day, why bother getting a dog in the first place?

Who buys a dog so they can feed it twice a day?? I don't understand you argument. This solution works out great for both the dog and the owners. Arguing just to argue?
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:39 PM) *
Who buys a dog so they can feed it twice a day?? I don't understand you argument. This solution works out great for both the dog and the owners. Arguing just to argue?

The argument is really simple. You act like having a dog is a necessary fact of life or something...if it's too much work to feed a dog once or twice a day (what does this take, honestly, 5 minutes tops??), why even bother to even have a dog?

Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:49 PM) *
The argument is really simple. You act like having a dog is a necessary fact of life or something...if it's too much work to feed a dog once or twice a day (what does this take, honestly, 5 minutes tops??), why even bother to even have a dog?

Again, why do it twice a day when you could NOT do it......ever? You are making it seem like the only reason someone gets a dog is so they can feed the dog.

It's called a convenience. Many things are invented because it's a convenience, not because "it's too hard" to do. It's a convenience for the owner, it's a convenience for the dog. \\

It's like saying "Hairdryers are dumb. It takes, what, 5-10 minutes to dry your hair with a towel? What's the point of even having hair then?"
Iwritecode
You already have to remember to take the dog outside at least twice a day. We've just gotten into the habit of filling their bowls one of the times they are outside.

Dogs are very food motivated. That's why most people use treats when training their dog. I'm not even sure how you would go about teaching a dog to not eat when the food is always available.

Did you actively train yours that way or do they just know to stop when they are full?

Dogs jumping on the counter trying to steal food just need to be trained to not do that. It's not because they are hungry and have no food in their bowls.
scenario
Here's what I feed our dog. A little pricey but imo it pays off in better health, lower vet bills, etc.

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

Chilihead90
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:18 PM) *
You already have to remember to take the dog outside at least twice a day. We've just gotten into the habit of filling their bowls one of the times they are outside.

Dogs are very food motivated. That's why most people use treats when training their dog. I'm not even sure how you would go about teaching a dog to not eat when the food is always available.

Did you actively train yours that way or do they just know to stop when they are full?

Dogs jumping on the counter trying to steal food just need to be trained to not do that. It's not because they are hungry and have no food in their bowls.

I guess I would have to ask my parents, but I don't recall ever having to teach her when to stop. And on really nice spring or summer days when we will plan on leaving her outside all day, we just fill up a big bowl of food, and she portions it out over the course of a day, just eating here and there when she wants to. Since my brother is going through the puppy phase right now, I'll ask him how he is teaching her to use the feeder.
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:54 PM) *
Again, why do it twice a day when you could NOT do it......ever? You are making it seem like the only reason someone gets a dog is so they can feed the dog.

It's called a convenience. Many things are invented because it's a convenience, not because "it's too hard" to do. It's a convenience for the owner, it's a convenience for the dog. \\

It's like saying "Hairdryers are dumb. It takes, what, 5-10 minutes to dry your hair with a towel? What's the point of even having hair then?"

So let me ask you this, would you feed your kids this way?

There are a lot of things that could be done in an easier way, but they aren't because the easier way produces s***ty results. And with some things, you're just being downright lazy.

Your dogs are domesticated animals that I am assuming live in your house? They are not farm animals that you own for the purpose of slaughtering them.

I'm not telling you how to feed your dogs, but my guess is most people are a bit more concerned about their dog's eating habits than just dumping a 40 pound bag in some sheet metal contraption and calling it a day.
Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:53 PM) *
So let me ask you this, would you feed your kids this way?

There are a lot of things that could be done in an easier way, but they aren't because the easier way produces s***ty results. And with some things, you're just being downright lazy.

Your dogs are domesticated animals that I am assuming live in your house? They are not farm animals that you own for the purpose of slaughtering them.

I'm not telling you how to feed your dogs, but my guess is most people are a bit more concerned about their dog's eating habits than just dumping a 40 pound bag in some sheet metal contraption and calling it a day.

Lol, you argument is ALL OVER THE PLACE. How is this is any way like feeding children? But just for s***s and giggles, yeah, it is kind of like that anyway. You keep food in your house, and your kids will go get some when they are feeling hungry. You don't put out a plate of food twice a day for your kids and if they are hungry at any other point, OH WELL.

And how does having an automatic dog feeder produce s***ty results? That makes no sense.

And I like how you liken having an automatic dog feeder to "not caring about my dog's eating habits", and acting like this is some sort of barbaric thing to do.
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:12 PM) *
Lol, you argument is ALL OVER THE PLACE. How is this is any way like feeding children? But just for s***s and giggles, yeah, it is kind of like that anyway. You keep food in your house, and your kids will go get some when they are feeling hungry. You don't put out a plate of food twice a day for your kids and if they are hungry at any other point, OH WELL.

And how does having an automatic dog feeder produce s***ty results? That makes no sense.

And I like how you liken having an automatic dog feeder to "not caring about my dog's eating habits", and acting like this is some sort of barbaric thing to do.

How many other people have you seen with this sort of contraption, Joe?

And honestly, our beliefs on this topic are so far apart it's really not even worth carrying on about it anymore.

If you're too lazy to put a freaking bowl down once or twice a day you should probably have gerbils, not dogs.
Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:28 PM) *
How many other people have you seen with this sort of contraption, Joe?

And honestly, our beliefs on this topic are so far apart it's really not even worth carrying on about it anymore.

If you're too lazy to put a freaking bowl down once or twice a day you should probably have gerbils, not dogs.

Yeah, this is going no where. I just can't understand where you are even coming from.

And to use your logic of argument, if you hate your dog so much that you won't let it eat when it wants, might as well just own some fish.
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:32 PM) *
Yeah, this is going no where. I just can't understand where you are even coming from.

And to use your logic of argument, if you hate your dog so much that you won't let it eat when it wants, might as well just own some fish.

Joe, there is a reason that people don't use these things...of all the people you know that have dogs, how many have employed this stupid f***ing device?

The reason this contraption works with your dogs is because you are feeding your dogs heated, compressed mystery materials. If you were feeding your dog something it actually enjoyed eating, it would show some life and enthusiasm towards eating it. Instead, you feed it some Old Yeller sawdust that comes out of a sheet metal contraption and all your dogs do is sadly eat the bare minimum required to subsist.

KyYlE23
Soooooooooooo,

besides the dogs my daughter has a Sulcata(African Spur-thigh) Tortoise. It is going to get rather big, but by that time it will be out of my house. smile.gif
iamshack
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:56 PM) *
Soooooooooooo,

besides the dogs my daughter has a Sulcata(African Spur-thigh) Tortoise. It is going to get rather big, but by that time it will be out of my house. smile.gif

Where is it going?
KyYlE23
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:58 PM) *
Where is it going?

With my daughter biggrin.gif

It is hers, we discussed how it will get upwards of 80-110 lbs and she knows it will live for a long time. She wanted it, she got it.
iamshack
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:01 PM) *
With my daughter biggrin.gif

It is hers, we discussed how it will get upwards of 80-110 lbs and she knows it will live for a long time. She wanted it, she got it.

WOW...that is one big turtle!

How old is your daughter?
Chilihead90
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:48 PM) *
Joe, there is a reason that people don't use these things...of all the people you know that have dogs, how many have employed this stupid f***ing device?

The reason this contraption works with your dogs is because you are feeding your dogs heated, compressed mystery materials. If you were feeding your dog something it actually enjoyed eating, it would show some life and enthusiasm towards eating it. Instead, you feed it some Old Yeller sawdust that comes out of a sheet metal contraption and all your dogs do is sadly eat the bare minimum required to subsist.

I don't think people really trust that their dogs won't over-eat, which is understandable. But you won't know unless you try.

And as for the second paragraph, lol, where the hell do you get this stuff? How does the container in which the food is held change it from normal Iams/Pedigree (whatever we buy) dogfood, to "heated, compressed mystery materials" and "sawdust"? Are you under the impression that this thing somehow MAKES food too?
Chilihead90
For those of you who were interested, and didn't have some sort of irrational, weird hate towards dog feeders, I asked my brother how he is planning on getting his puppy to use it and he said she is already using it, and has been since the day he got her. He said he just had to push the little door open and show her that there was food in it, and after a couple times she remembered and has been doing it for a couple weeks now. No over-eating or anything, at 3-months old she has learned to control herself.
KyYlE23
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:03 PM) *
WOW...that is one big turtle!

How old is your daughter?

She is 11. She has been begging for this for 4 years, since she went with me to the Streamwood Reptile swap back when I had my Chameleon and Bearded dragon
iamshack
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:10 PM) *
I don't think people really trust that their dogs won't over-eat, which is understandable. But you won't know unless you try.

And as for the second paragraph, lol, where the hell do you get this stuff? How does the container in which the food is held change it from normal Iams/Pedigree (whatever we buy) dogfood, to "heated, compressed mystery materials" and "sawdust"? Are you under the impression that this thing somehow MAKES food too?

I'm talking about how your dog food is made. How do you think it ends up in those little nifty pellets? They put all kinds of horrible s*** in these mass-produced foods, including cheap crap fillers and they have even found other dead animal carcasses in them before.

Go to the website Iamscruelty.com to see how P&G operates as a company.

As for "trusting your dog," you are asking your dog to go against basically 20,000 years of evolution to eat this way. Wolves and later, domesticated dogs, hunted prey animals; they did not evolve to eat out of a "food dispenser." Additionally, their GI systems are not equipped to work this way. See my earlier post on liver functions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.