Morneau to come up after break

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
You do realize those were his firsts ABs vs pitchers trying to get him out in about 9 months don't you?

You do realize that tomorrow's game counts towards the team's standings at the end of the season, don't you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
You do realize that tomorrow's game counts towards the team's standings at the end of the season, don't you?

Yes, but to expect him to come in guns a blazing is beyond insane. Of course his numbers weren't going to be tremendous. It's as ludicrous as holding what a guy does his first 4 or 5 spring training games against them.

And the guy he is replacing on the roster is 2-22 with 5 walks and 9 strikeouts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Realizing I'm not sure what our 21-25 roster is right now. Morneau up, Coats down (when was coats up?), Kahnle up?, Rodon to DL, Empty spot?

Kahnle was called up for Rodon but I'd expect him to go back down when they call up a 5th starter to pitch in Rodon's place.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I think Balta's point merely is that Morneau might not be ready to come up. I tend to agree. I think, and arguably based on his performance, he should receive a few more at-bats in the minor leagues before being called up.

I think he should come up be. I also think you shouldn't expect much from him. I don't know why checking to see if he was having a strong impact in Charlotte is such a terrible thing, because something tells me we'd be celebrating if he had 9 hits instead of 3, but apparently that's offensive.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I think Balta's point merely is that Morneau might not be ready to come up. I tend to agree. I think, and arguably based on his performance, he should receive a few more at-bats in the minor leagues before being called up.

None of us have seen him play. If he's healthy, then no matter what 17 at bats say, he's better than anything we can throw out there.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)

You never know with veterans. He may be done, he may be on fire when he comes up. His rehab assignment numbers don't mean much. Especially this few ABs. He might be hitting it hard. Might be ready to hit it hard, or he may suck. They need to find out though pretty quickly. It does get to the point where facing inferior AA or AAA pitching isn't going to help him at all anyway.

Balta's point is to throw shade on the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
None of us have seen him play. If he's healthy, then no matter what 17 at bats say, he's better than anything we can throw out there.

As long as he's better than Coats/Avi then I'll be happy. That isn't too hard to do

Gotta see what he can do and if he's going to be worth anything. He's had some time to see fast pitching and to get his bat up to speed, which is what he needed. He won't become accustomed to MLB pitching until he sees it. That may take 4-5 games. Then after that we should start seeing if he's got anything left in the tank (or still physically capable).