Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Wanne said:

no...the whole point if you haven't been following along...NOBODY has said bring him up now...geezus.   Not sure how or why that factoid is eluding people...

Wait, are you serious? 

No one, in this thread that is titled "Eloy Jimenez," where in the original post, the poster says "Why not bring Eloy Jimenez up now?" is suggesting that Eloy should be called up now?

Edited by Eminor3rd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Wait, are you serious? 

No one, in this thread that is titled "Eloy Jimenez," where in the original post, the poster says "Why not bring Eloy Jimenez up now?" is suggesting that Eloy should be called up now?

yeah....I stand corrected...sorry.  But he's the only one...

BUT...People are making it seem there's a ton of people advocating it....there's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Wanne said:

yeah....I stand corrected...sorry.  But he's the only one...

BUT...People are making it seem there's a ton of people advocating it....there's not.

But they all got a lot of laughs pretending it . Never let the facts stand in the way of a good chuckle,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But they all got a lot of laughs pretending it . Never let the facts stand in the way of a good chuckle,

Again, literally the the point of the entire thread. Strange thing, to get angry at people for discussing the topic of a thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Again, literally the the point of the entire thread. Strange thing, to get angry at people for discussing the topic of a thread.

Again, was the point of the entire thread what the OP said or the majority of the thread that followed ? Because it sure seems like you all thought everyone was posting like the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm incredibly grateful the Sox were able to move Quintana to the Cubs last year and received the return they did because if the Cubs went with Verlander instead we could have been stuck with Quintana and would receive nothing for him given his performance the last  1 1/3 seasons up to this point. It would be very difficult to convince a GM that has worth a top 100 prospect if we still had him. There is no way we'd get anything close to Eloy/Cease now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm incredibly grateful the Sox were able to move Quintana to the Cubs last year and received the return they did because if the Cubs went with Verlander instead we could have been stuck with Quintana and would receive nothing for him given his performance the last  1 1/3 seasons up to this point. It would be very difficult to convince a GM that has worth a top 100 prospect if we still had him. There is no way we'd get anything close to Eloy/Cease now. 

Yeah we totally sold at the perfect time with him. I do wonder if he was still being coached by Cooper if he'd still be performing though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm incredibly grateful the Sox were able to move Quintana to the Cubs last year and received the return they did because if the Cubs went with Verlander instead we could have been stuck with Quintana and would receive nothing for him given his performance the last  1 1/3 seasons up to this point. It would be very difficult to convince a GM that has worth a top 100 prospect if we still had him. There is no way we'd get anything close to Eloy/Cease now. 

I know it is revisionist history,  but Q would have moved at the deadline to someone. It might not have been Eloy and Cease, but there was a lot of interest in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

Yeah we totally sold at the perfect time with him. I do wonder if he was still being coached by Cooper if he'd still be performing though...

I've thought about that, but at the same time, he had a rough first half last year too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm too lazy to link right now (just google or twitter search Eloy Jimenez) but a couple newish scouting reports from national guys came in on Eloy and why they are incredibly glowing when analyzing him as a hitter, bu they are pretty cynical on his future defensive value, if any.   His arm is average (could possibly be plus with some work on footwork) but his range and instincts are rated below average for RF and he'll be a candidate to move to LF/DH early.  

He's gotten some more starts in LF lately so that might be the Sox' thinking as well.  But I mean nobody really gives a fuck what Man Ram is doing in LF when he's doing Man Ram things at the plate.  That will obviously be the hope with eloy, and I do think that one or two  Manny like 300/400/600 seasons could be in store for  his prime.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm too lazy to link right now (just google or twitter search Eloy Jimenez) but a couple newish scouting reports from national guys came in on Eloy and why they are incredibly glowing when analyzing him as a hitter, bu they are pretty cynical on his future defensive value, if any.   His arm is average (could possibly be plus with some work on footwork) but his range and instincts are rated below average for RF and he'll be a candidate to move to LF/DH early.  

He's gotten some more starts in LF lately so that might be the Sox' thinking as well.  But I mean nobody really gives a fuck what Man Ram is doing in LF when he's doing Man Ram things at the plate.  That will obviously be the hope with eloy, and I do think that one or two  Manny like 300/400/600 seasons could be in store for  his prime.

Yeah, I think he's going to end up as a DH really quickly. The Cubs already have one of those in their OF they couldn't afford two. Eloy is probably a DH long term. The only scouting source I've read that doesn't have Eloy as an absolutely putrid fielder with a noodle arm is Fangraphs, which I find weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, I think he's going to end up as a DH really quickly. The Cubs already have one of those in their OF they couldn't afford two. Eloy is probably a DH long term. The only scouting source I've read that doesn't have Eloy as an absolutely putrid fielder with a noodle arm is Fangraphs, which I find weird. 

We have had noodle arms like Pods on this team playing an Of position.  So stop with the absolutes based on 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge that based on articles you read.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juan Pierre also comes to mind, although he was a Gold Glove defender in his prime.

JImenez will be fine in LF...that's the one position that you can hide an average or below-average arm without much in the way of consequences.

Eventually he'll DH, but that's in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

We have had noodle arms like Pods on this team playing an Of position.  So stop with the absolutes based on 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge that based on articles you read.  

I gather lots of info from multiple sources. These aren't my opinions, these are those of baseball writers. If the majority of these guys believe x, I believe that is the most likely outcome. Not that they can't be wrong, just that it is the most likely outcome. Most of those people think that Eloy is a DH and Lopez is a back of the rotation pitcher. Just because this isn't what we as fans want to hear, doesn't mean we should dismiss it as garbage. It doesn't mean that those people can't be completely wrong either. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I gather lots of info from multiple sources. These aren't my opinions, these are those of baseball writers. If the majority of these guys believe x, I believe that is the most likely outcome. Not that they can't be wrong, just that it is the most likely outcome. 

Taking articles, parsing them and coming up with the most negative outcome based on what you see is not a most likely outcome.  Read up on what they said about Chris Sale when he was drafted also known as the closer we drafted.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Taking articles, parsing them and coming up with the most negative outcome based on what you see is not a most likely outcome.  Read up on what they said about Chris Sale when he was drafted also known as the closer we drafted.  

The only guy who was super negative on Sale was Law. Callis had him as the 4th best player in the draft and had him mocked at 4th overall in MLB pipeline's 2010 draft preview. Most were shocked he fell to the Sox. This is revisionist history. Law despised Sale and was wrong. I just said people can be wrong. It happens all of the time. Nobody is infallible. If people were infallible, the world would be a boring place. Just because Law was loud and outspoken about his opinion on Sale, doesn't mean it was the consensus. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only guy who was super negative on Sale was Law. Callis had him as the 4th best player in the draft and had him mocked at 4th overall in MLB pipeline's 2010 draft preview. Most were shocked he fell to the Sox. This is revisionist history. Law despised Sale and was wrong. I just said people can be wrong. It happens all of the time. Nobody is infallible. If people were infallible, the world would be a boring place. Just because Law was loud and outspoken about his opinion on Sale, doesn't mean it was the consensus. 

Now you are being revisionist.  People didn't doubt his stuff.  The only one who doubted his stuff was Law.  The real question was could his arm slot, mechanics, and could his slight build handle the rigors of being in a rotation long term.  So far he has been a horse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, I think he's going to end up as a DH really quickly. The Cubs already have one of those in their OF they couldn't afford two. Eloy is probably a DH long term. The only scouting source I've read that doesn't have Eloy as an absolutely putrid fielder with a noodle arm is Fangraphs, which I find weird. 

Lillian had the idea that Eloy could become the Sox 1st baseman relatively quickly if he doesn't pan out in the outfield.If Basabe Robert and Rutherford all end up looking good Abreu and AVi could get traded but right now need to stick with Abreu because all 3 of those guys still have a long road to stardom in MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todd Cunningham was released from Charlotte with Rondon being sent back down. That leaves and active OF of Tilson, May, and Robbins. You could theoretically argue that RF has been opened for an Eloy promotion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Todd Cunningham was released from Charlotte with Rondon being sent back down. That leaves and active OF of Tilson, May, and Robbins. You could theoretically argue that RF has been opened for an Eloy promotion.

Yep, now as soon as they free up a roster spot in the IF, it should happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Todd Cunningham was released from Charlotte with Rondon being sent back down. That leaves and active OF of Tilson, May, and Robbins. You could theoretically argue that RF has been opened for an Eloy promotion.

Good catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×