Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian

**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I didn't hate it like I thought I would, but I am Hoping that WB is truly done with the Snyderverse 

I'm pretty much completely over the superhero thing, but I wasn't going to miss out on seeing why Zack Snyder felt that a superhero movie needed to be an hour longer than 2001 A Space Odyssey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bmags said:

interesting. Every godzilla reboot i've watched has been terrible, and every king kong film I've watched has been terrible. But put them together

Whatttt? Peter Jackson's King Kong is amazing and Skull Island is terrific. Godzilla King of the Monsters is awesome too if you just want monster on monster action.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm pretty much completely over the superhero thing, but I wasn't going to miss out on seeing why Zack Snyder felt that a superhero movie needed to be an hour longer than 2001 A Space Odyssey

I listened to the "how did this get made" episode about JL at @Brians suggestion and it was a great review of the movie good and bad, extremely funny 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T R U said:

I loved it, but here are my two biggest complaints.

- To get to the Hollowed Earth they needed a special ship to travel through a black hole located in Antarctica. Minutes later, Godzilla just blasts a hole through the earth and they just come up through there. WTF?!?

- Mechagodzilla was dispatched way too quick IMO. I think he should have gotten maybe 5-10 more minutes of screen time. Was very pleased with how he looked and the fight scenes with him even so.

 

Oh dude, there was some stupid ass shit as far as the actual story, I just didn't really care because I just wanted a fun movie of monsters fighting monsters and I got 2 hours of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Oh dude, there was some stupid ass shit as far as the actual story, I just didn't really care because I just wanted a fun movie of monsters fighting monsters and I got 2 hours of that.

Of course, I am not phased at all by stupid shit but that hollowed earth moment just made me feel embarrassed because my wife is not into Godzilla at all and was watching with me and I just felt the eye roll when that happened.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yea, Mecha Godzilla should have gotten a few scenes.  One where he whips everyone's ass and another where he gets his ass whipped later.  They squished them together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

"how did this get made"

Was the answer 'Zack Snyder bad, but Joss Whedon worse?'

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Was the answer 'Zack Snyder bad, but Joss Whedon worse?'

Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer liked it, but still poked at the obvious Snyder hangups like the fact that there is literally 10 minutes of slow motion in the movie and the song choices and stuff like that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, Buehrle>Wood said:

Whatttt? Peter Jackson's King Kong is amazing and Skull Island is terrific. Godzilla King of the Monsters is awesome too if you just want monster on monster action.

I really, really disliked jackson's kong and the the 1998 godzilla for obvious reasons, but I just ignored this latest series and I am going to watch them all because I think I may like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really, really disliked jackson's kong and the the 1998 godzilla for obvious reasons, but I just ignored this latest series and I am going to watch them all because I think I may like them.

As others have said, Kong: Skull Island is a pretty good movie just as a stand alone. Decent character build, good action, story that somewhat makes sense. I'd give it a run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bmags said:

I really, really disliked jackson's kong and the the 1998 godzilla for obvious reasons, but I just ignored this latest series and I am going to watch them all because I think I may like them.

I get the obvious reason for 1998 Godzilla, but why Jackson's King Kong?   It's the old origin story but the stuff on the island was pretty awesome.  The only thing I didn't really care for was the "ice skating" scene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I get the obvious reason for 1998 Godzilla, but why Jackson's King Kong?   It's the old origin story but the stuff on the island was pretty awesome.  The only thing I didn't really care for was the "ice skating" scene

this is why I'm excited to try some of these later ones. 

Context is I would have been 19 when I saw it but:

1. Was extremely long and PJ had already become a punchline to me for how he could not seem to end LOTR's finale with multiple fadeouts only for epilogue after epilogue. so maybe that's age-stuff.

2. It's mainly about super monsters as either villains or main characters. It's sort of like superman to me, where it every movie is just he gets weakened by kryptonite before recovering by throwing the problem into space. The super monsters are so big that I struggle to find them to be an interesting monster. The films really find the reveal to be big moments, but there can be no real surprise, right? I know King kong is going to be really big. But just a big monster crushing tiny things is only so interesting, so you end up with fight after fight of super monsters doing mortal kombat set pieces.

3. The special effects. I don't like that time period of movie making. Special effects had taken a leap but didn't yet match up to the ambitions of what the filmmakers were trying to do (or maybe later filmmakers had a better idea of what special effects CAN'T do). In Jurassic Park, for example, the terror of being a human mixed up around these incredibly strong and unreasonable animals was constantly felt when in same screen. But the parts of kong where they are running around a trex never felt close to the same to me. The dino stampede scene is a perfect example. Now, I will definitely say king kong is 1000x better at this then Jurassic World, which basically mixed CGI dinosaurs everywhere, as characters basically side stepped around them while they fought and in general never seemed too concerned. 

So some of this stuff I may revisit but just re-watching some of the trex fight just now I do remember the same thoughts that something about the scale just makes it actually less interesting to me. But then I really liked Pacific Rim, and that obviously had big ass robots fighting big ass monsters for quite a lot of the movie. But maybe part of that is the humans in the robot getting to narrate some of the injuries and create more than just "watch these two big things wrestle".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bmags said:

this is why I'm excited to try some of these later ones. 

Context is I would have been 19 when I saw it but:

1. Was extremely long and PJ had already become a punchline to me for how he could not seem to end LOTR's finale with multiple fadeouts only for epilogue after epilogue. so maybe that's age-stuff.

2. It's mainly about super monsters as either villains or main characters. It's sort of like superman to me, where it every movie is just he gets weakened by kryptonite before recovering by throwing the problem into space. The super monsters are so big that I struggle to find them to be an interesting monster. The films really find the reveal to be big moments, but there can be no real surprise, right? I know King kong is going to be really big. But just a big monster crushing tiny things is only so interesting, so you end up with fight after fight of super monsters doing mortal kombat set pieces.

3. The special effects. I don't like that time period of movie making. Special effects had taken a leap but didn't yet match up to the ambitions of what the filmmakers were trying to do (or maybe later filmmakers had a better idea of what special effects CAN'T do). In Jurassic Park, for example, the terror of being a human mixed up around these incredibly strong and unreasonable animals was constantly felt when in same screen. But the parts of kong where they are running around a trex never felt close to the same to me. The dino stampede scene is a perfect example. Now, I will definitely say king kong is 1000x better at this then Jurassic World, which basically mixed CGI dinosaurs everywhere, as characters basically side stepped around them while they fought and in general never seemed too concerned. 

So some of this stuff I may revisit but just re-watching some of the trex fight just now I do remember the same thoughts that something about the scale just makes it actually less interesting to me. But then I really liked Pacific Rim, and that obviously had big ass robots fighting big ass monsters for quite a lot of the movie. But maybe part of that is the humans in the robot getting to narrate some of the injuries and create more than just "watch these two big things wrestle".

The stampede is super fucking stupid, will not disagree there.  Kind of funny that Jurassic World 2 did the same thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was just talking about the movie where I called it "Gorilla v. Kong" like 4 times before I was corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone talking Snyder Cut & Godzilla v Kong, while a glorious masterpiece like “Nobody” is playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The White Tiger is the one I’m waiting to see.

And still haven’t watched One Night in Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad I read this thread. I watched skull island last night and it was rad and now have plans for a backyard Godzilla v Kong next weekend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't watch a lot of movies, but I did watch a few over the past couple weeks.

Watched Godzilla vs. Kong on HBO Max.  Really enjoyed it.  It's probably the best of the new Godzilla movies.  Pretty much non-stop action with the plot essentially told through dialogue of the characters, who were mostly running from the monsters.  I do wish I had watched it on the big screen, but seeing it "free" was pretty nice.

With Saturday being rainy and dreary, we checked out Palm Springs on Hulu.  Think an R-rated Groundhog Day.  It was really funny.  Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti were great, and JK Simmons (in a small role) is awesome in everything he does.

Finally, I was looking for a good sci-fi/horror movie to watch Saturday night and decided on Sea Fever, also on Hulu.  It's an Irish horror flick about a commercial fishing trip gone wrong.  It was as much a character study as it was a scary movie.  The 95 minute runtime flew by.  I'd highly recommend it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I watched Godzilla v. Kong, was really fun but that screenplay was super sloppy. I could have gone without the entire sidestory with stranger things folks. I'm not even quite sure what they accomplished at the end? Why was he still fighting after the drink was spilled?

The gravity stuff in hollow earth was fun, I kinda wish they'd have played around with kong fighting something where he's going in between the gravity poles.

But yeah to me compared to the two otehrs in the series, the plot seemed especially contrived this time, but they made clear they didn't care, so I didn't care too much. However still feels like godzilla is pulling his punches with kong. Dude just shoot your fire breath at him the whole time, don't even bother with hand to hand combat!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mortal Kombat is a total piece of garbage. I loved every second of it. 

  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those of you who enjoy/ed Nomadland, and it's definitely not for EVERYONE, then I would also recommend The Rider (easier to enjoy that one) or Songs My Brothers Taught Me (about life on Lakota Sioux Indian Reservation in Kyle, SD, the poorest county in the entire US.)

 

Pretty remarkable for someone who spent her years growing up in China and then NYC to have such prescient insights into life in the American West, or Near West.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×