Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay, so Dominican-American ISN'T equal to Latin-American, got it...

A Latin American baseball player implies he's from LATIN AMERICA. Holy cow... are you just trolling me right now?

Manny Machado is as AMERICAN as Eric Hosmer. You don't refer to Eric Hosmer as European American, do you? Enough with the ignorant racial nonsense. Manny Machado is American. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A Latin American baseball player implies he's from LATIN AMERICA. Holy cow... are you just trolling me right now?

Manny Machado is as AMERICAN as Eric Hosmer. You don't refer to Eric Hosmer as European American, do you? Enough with the ignorant racial nonsense. Manny Machado is American. 

By descent, he is...if the answer was as cut and dried as you think, WHY WOULD HE PLAY ON THE DOMINICAN WBC TEAM AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY?

Because ethnic identity is a much more complicated issue than you're making it out to be.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You’re new here. You have fallen down a Caufield rabbit hole. Enjoy. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

By descent, he is...if the answer was as cut and dried as you think, WHY WOULD HE PLAY ON THE DOMINICAN WBC TEAM AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY?

Because ethnic identity is a much more complicated issue than you're making it out to be.

Yeah, and Ike Davis and Ian Kinsler are Israeli-Americans based on that absurd WBC logic... yet they have never even been there. 

And what's his name who played for team Italy. Was it cervelli? I guess he's Italian and not American too because he didnt play for USA.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Fine, if we had a Buster.

But I'm not conceding the point.  That said, there's no point to argue it out any further without getting into apolitical debate about cultural identity/identity politics.

And Machado has been back to visit family/relatives in the Dominican Republic on NUMEROUS occasions.

Edited by caulfield12

Manny machado is a US citizen. He has a US passport. He has a US education. He entered the MLb via the AMERICAN AMATEUR draft. He did not sign for international pool money. He was not an international prospect. He is not FROM Latin America. Therefore he is not a Latin American prospect and never was. Glad I could clear that up. 

That'll be it from me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, and Ike Davis and Ian Kinsler are Israeli-Americans based on that absurd WBC logic... yet they have never even been there. 

And what's his name who played for team Italy. Was it cervelli? I guess he's Italian and not American too because he didnt play for USA.

Frank Catalanotto from Long Island, New York is who I thought you were referring to:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Catalanotto

“Despite not having Italian citizenship, Catalanotto's Italian heritage made him eligible to play for the Italian national team at the 2006 and 2009 World Baseball Classic.”

By the way, Manny Machado is Dominican-American, not Latin American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Machado

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Americans

Edited by Harper2Sox

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I never wanted Machado on the Sox, especially on these terms. I think the Padres will soon regret this deal. The only thing that upset me about yesterday’s events, is that he didn’t sign with the Phillies and it appears the Sox are out on Harper, the player I truly wanted.

An extremely unpopular opinion on this forum this offseason but I’ll be curious to see how this plays out over the next couple years. I think Manny’s numbers will be way down this season from last season now that he got his $$$. I still believe the Sox dodged a bullet by missing on him. 

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ron, try to keep up bud. The start means nothing. Just as eloy means nothing and tatis means nothing.

I dont participate in sss absurdity.

Small sample or not, it’s still fun to point out that Moncada already has a 0.5 fWAR lead on Machado less than a week into the season.

Machado with his 1st dirty play of the Padres era. He hit a pop up to the catcher, and even though he was called out because he stepped on the back of the catcher's foot, the dirty part was that he gently tossed the bat right next to the catcher's feet as he was tracking the pop up. The catcher ended up dropping the ball in foul territory, but Manny was ruled out for interfering. And then of course he had to be restrained when he was ruled out and his manager was ejected for arguing it.

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 7:43 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

An extremely unpopular opinion on this forum this offseason but I’ll be curious to see how this plays out over the next couple years. I think Manny’s numbers will be way down this season from last season now that he got his $$$. I still believe the Sox dodged a bullet by missing on him. 

Season nearly 40% complete and he’s basically been Yolmer Sanchez with a bit more power. The back half of this contract is going to look very ugly.