Moan4Yoan

Fernando Tatis Jr. thread

Posted (edited)

3 for his last 23.

Six games without a homer.

Under 1.000 OPS.

9 k's.

Batting average from over .300 now down to .277.

Really his first slump since the first couple of weeks of the season, then the shoulder injury.  18 games missed on the year (first shoulder, then the Covid-19 scare, then 2 days for an oblique strain), still 3rd in homers with 17.

15 errors in 46 games.   On pace for 47 if he continues with same projected rate and plays in the final 98 games (pretty unlikely.)

2.7 bWAR. 2.4 fWAR.

6.8 and 6.5 projections over the full season (and that's, once again, based on playing 46 out of 64 games.)

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, fathom said:

Of course Tatis absolutely sucked against the Cubs

it is f'ing annoying that he couldn't light them up.  He will now go crazy for two weeks.  I have him in fantasy baseball so it's a double whammy.

Watched part of the Rockies/Padres game yesterday, after Tatis hit his 477 foot jack, and the announcer said, "When his career is over, the Tatis trade will probably go down as the worst in MLB history."  IOW, exceeding the Lou Brock trade.

I wish Preller would write a book and use a chapter to discuss how this trade went down.

16 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Watched part of the Rockies/Padres game yesterday, after Tatis hit his 477 foot jack, and the announcer said, "When his career is over, the Tatis trade will probably go down as the worst in MLB history."  IOW, exceeding the Lou Brock trade.

I wish Preller would write a book and use a chapter to discuss how this trade went down.

While the Sox should never live down this trade, Preller should definitely lead off with "provide other teams with questionable and/or false medical data"

On 6/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, I wish you (and more importantly, MLB) wouldn't spread these sorts of videos around. I mean, Americans are already renowned for doing stupid shit. And encouraging Americans to do stupid shit means that they WILL do stupid shit.

I get that its great that the catch was made in THIS case, but it'll be fookin tragic if/when the next hard-hit ball is missed by whomever is holding an infant.

YMMV.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

All of us that watched that season KNEW that they had to back up the truck, and sell, sell, sell well before this moronic trade was even a rumor.

That this org was so stoopud to believe that that roster, with that manager only needed James Shields to magically compete proves that stupidity is a disease. 

Its 5 years on, and I'm still enraged by it. I think I got banned (again) from WSI when it happened.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

5 hours ago, Quin said:

While the Sox should never live down this trade, Preller should definitely lead off with "provide other teams with questionable and/or false medical data"

Quin, your response is too simplistic.  Everybody knew Shields was damaged goods; he couldn't get anybody out in his last few pre-trade starts.  What we don't know is how the dialogue went down between the two GM's.  Hahn got hoodwinked, or worse.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Quin, your response is too simplistic.  Everybody knew Shields was damaged goods; he couldn't get anybody out in his last few pre-trade starts.  What we don't know is how the dialogue went down between the two GM's.  Hahn got hoodwinked, or worse.

Oh yeah, most def. Again, the Sox should never, ever live this trade down. Shields was hot garbage at the time and they shouldn't have given up anything more than EJ, I'd anything at all.

But Preller's deals that season (I'm including Boston and Miami) show the man wasn't making deals in good faith.

Maybe it was cosmic justice for the Sirotka trade, who knows.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Oh yeah, most def. Again, the Sox should never, ever live this trade down. Shields was hot garbage at the time and they shouldn't have given up anything more than EJ, I'd anything at all.

But Preller's deals that season (I'm including Boston and Miami) show the man wasn't making deals in good faith.

Maybe it was cosmic justice for the Sirotka trade, who knows.

One thing that annoys me is this idea we wouldn't or couldn't have signed Robert had we somehow retained Tatis, Jr.

That really doesn't make sense...this idea what how badly that trade went, and there was "only" evidence of the player Tatis was eventually going to be the first two months of the 2017 season (Robert signed at the end of May that year)...that it somehow pushed the White Sox to double down with Luis Robert, even though the Cardinals actually offered more money.

Law didn't declare Tatis the #1 prospect in baseball until after the minor league All-Star breaks, 2018.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/missions/article/ESPN-s-Law-Missions-Tatis-No-1-prospect-in-13089606.php

More than anything, because of the subsidy for the Shields contract (which we should have received ANYWAY, see Thome deal for Rowand), we gave up talent instead of absorbing a bigger financial hit...taking the cheap way out.   Fine, give up EJ, he was already tarnished but had some prospect glitter remaining.

Edited by caulfield12

22nd homer in about 60 less plate appearances and 14 fewer games than Vladdy Guerrero, Jr.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=5,d

Semien, Tatis, Jr., Moncada all in the top 11 for MLB...all with White Sox ties