Jump to content
bmags

2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

Recommended Posts

The Sox dont take players 1-10 unless they know they can sign them. Look for Dalquist to sign for $1.9M-$2.2M by the end of the week. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The Sox dont take players 1-10 unless they know they can sign them. Look for Dalquist to sign for $1.9M-$2.2M by the end of the week. 

Why so much over slot?

Not that I care.  Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a picture of Vaughn and Adley Routschman together on the internet the other day, and Vaughn looked tiny compared to Routschman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why so much over slot?

Not that I care.  Just wondering.

Very polished high schooler. Has a starters mix that he can throw for strikes. Keith Law said that if he were to go to college and perform well he would be selected in the front half of the first round. Obviously that's a big IF. Where Spencer Adams is drafted high for his projectables, size and athleticism, Dalquist is drafted high for his ability to pitch. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So by my count the Sox still have...

Dalquist (will likely get signed soon)

Freeman

Trenkle

Krogman

Britt (won't sign)

Flood

Still unsigned right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

So by my count the Sox still have...

Dalquist (will likely get signed soon)

Freeman

Trenkle

Krogman

Britt (won't sign)

Flood

Still unsigned right? 

Glass is unsigned as well. Dalquist, Freeman and Glass are all signing. The others will not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Glass is unsigned as well. Dalquist, Freeman and Glass are all signing. The others will not. 

Weird to see Flood not signing as a 38th round, older JuCo player (about turn 22 years old).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not a prospect. He's the son of an employee.  Typical White Sox bullshit using the draft as a god damn favor bank.  The draft is there to find big leaguers.  You wanna do this guy a favor.  Give him free tickets to a game.  This is why other organizations laugh at the White Sox.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's not a prospect. He's the son of an employee.  Typical White Sox bullshit using the draft as a god damn favor bank.  The draft is there to find big leaguers.  You wanna do this guy a favor.  Give him free tickets to a game.  This is why other organizations laugh at the White Sox.  

Was this a bad attempt at sarcasm? Because basically every team does this. You can listen to the teams announcing picks on the last day and at the end there are a ton where they mention some relation or connection to the organization.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Was this a bad attempt at sarcasm? Because basically every team does this. You can listen to the teams announcing picks on the last day and at the end there are a ton where they mention some relation or connection to the organization.

This.

At least it's alot better than drafting somebody's daughter once upon a time. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Was this a bad attempt at sarcasm? Because basically every team does this. You can listen to the teams announcing picks on the last day and at the end there are a ton where they mention some relation or connection to the organization.

The only super bad one was Kenny Jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quin said:

The only super bad one was Kenny Jr.

I found this really interesting on his B-R page...


"Kenny Williams Jr. is the son of Kenny Williams. He was drafted by his father in the 36th round of the 2004 amateur draft but did not sign. After limited time at the University of Arizona, he transferred to Wichita State for his junior year, but was declared academically ineligible. In the 2007 amateur draft, the Colorado Rockies took him in the 32nd round. He returned to Wichita State and hit .317/.385/.447 in 2008. He was drafted by his father's Chicago White Sox in the 6th round but his father did not want to pick him due to the added pressure of playing in the organization he was GM for. The team's scouts, led by director Doug Laumann, pushed hard for Williams Jr. and the choice was made."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I found this really interesting on his B-R page...


"Kenny Williams Jr. is the son of Kenny Williams. He was drafted by his father in the 36th round of the 2004 amateur draft but did not sign. After limited time at the University of Arizona, he transferred to Wichita State for his junior year, but was declared academically ineligible. In the 2007 amateur draft, the Colorado Rockies took him in the 32nd round. He returned to Wichita State and hit .317/.385/.447 in 2008. He was drafted by his father's Chicago White Sox in the 6th round but his father did not want to pick him due to the added pressure of playing in the organization he was GM for. The team's scouts, led by director Doug Laumann, pushed hard for Williams Jr. and the choice was made."

If memory serves me right, the official line was the Cubs were going to take him.

But just man, it did not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's not a prospect. He's the son of an employee.  Typical White Sox bullshit using the draft as a god damn favor bank.  The draft is there to find big leaguers.  You wanna do this guy a favor.  Give him free tickets to a game.  This is why other organizations laugh at the White Sox.  

Every team does stuff like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Quin said:

If memory serves me right, the official line was the Cubs were going to take him.

But just man, it did not work.

That's too high of a pick to gamble like that but I can maybe buy the excuse. What I couldn't buy and what was totally unacceptable was that he continued getting playing time and even promotions ahead of more deserving players. No earthly reason why he should have gotten >1/2 a season of playing time as a 25/26 year old in BHam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wasn't Mike Piazza a draft favor?

Yep.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17120537/mike-piazza-went-62nd-round-pick-hall-famer

Quote

But Piazza seemed out of his element as a high school first baseman, and for much of his amateur career he was a hitter in search of a position. After the 1986 draft came and went without a call, he spent a year in anonymity at the University of Miami before giving junior college ball a whirl at Miami Dade-North.

Piazza was fortunate to have a tireless advocate in Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda, who was a close friend of Vince Piazza and pestered the Dodgers to give the kid a look. But even after the Dodgers selected Piazza at No. 1,390, they viewed him as a courtesy pick and appeared to have no sense of urgency to sign him. It wasn't until Piazza flew to Los Angeles for a batting practice session and drove balls to the nether regions of Dodger Stadium that the team finally sprang into action. The Dodgers offered $15,000, and Piazza reported to Salem in the Northwest League the following summer and was on his way.

 

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mqr said:

Every team does stuff like this. 

No they don't and the ones that do don't go to the extent of the White Sox.  They make a joke of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No they don't and the ones that do don't go to the extent of the White Sox.  They make a joke of it.  

Yes they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Well maybe this guy can take enough steroids to kill a small horse and end up in the Hall of Fame too.  

Ha, this is very confusing because Generic posted the wrong link and double quotes don’t work.

I was excited by Sox pumping their analysts full of steroids though.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha, this is very confusing because Generic posted the wrong link and double quotes don’t work.

I was excited by Sox pumping their analysts full of steroids though.

Lol. I wasn't quite sure if I missed something with that quoted post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I know.  It's a joke and it has to stop.

No, I don't have an issue with making those types of picks with lower picks. It's rare that any player taking after round 15 amounts to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha, this is very confusing because Generic posted the wrong link and double quotes don’t work.

I was excited by Sox pumping their analysts full of steroids though.

 

35 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Lol. I wasn't quite sure if I missed something with that quoted post.

Nope, I just messed up haha. This is the correct link, doubled check this time! (and edited the original)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17120537/mike-piazza-went-62nd-round-pick-hall-famer

Edit: And steroids for analysts is a horrible idea! You have to give them nootropics. They are like steroids, but for your brain! lol

Edited by GenericUserName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×