Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

3 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Jesus

lol, on time on OOTP I fielded a team that had a DER of like 67%.  When you only catch 2/3 of the balls in play your pitching staff is going to need to be getting 4 outs most innings.  I have to say fielding a beer league outfield would be entertaining, at least for a few games.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m pretty sure oldsox’s comment is more of an indictment of Eloy and Mazara’s defense than Robert’s speed.  His point is that no super stud center fielder can make up for the massive defensive deficiencies of Eloy and Mazara.  Mazara isn’t very good and Eloy is a DH.

Yeah that makes more sense. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article239006443.html

"A club official rebuked a Money report that the Rangers met with free-agent outfielder Nick Castellanos and are a finalist to sign him. According to the official, the Rangers have not met with him, have not made him an offer and are not going to move Joey Gallo from right field to first base to accommodate Castellanos."

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

Yeah his market completed died (which is what I expected).. There's got to be a point in which this would be a fine move... 3 years for 12-15 million a year seems to be that range. 

Still have to think he’s waiting on the Cubs to possibly open up payroll space.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article239006443.html

"A club official rebuked a Money report that the Rangers met with free-agent outfielder Nick Castellanos and are a finalist to sign him. According to the official, the Rangers have not met with him, have not made him an offer and are not going to move Joey Gallo from right field to first base to accommodate Castellanos."

The Rangers never made sense so I believe this. 

They had too many outfielders. 

It looks like Castellanos and Ozuna are screwed and should have taken their original multi year deals if they were offered 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This cant be real though. The cubs have spent $0 so it's not like they have any real wiggle room. What's the point of moving an expensive piece to acquire another one with deficiencies.

Move Bryant for young pitching and then use payroll that would have gone to him on Castellanos.  Pretty simple in theory

Just now, fathom said:

Move Bryant for young pitching and then use payroll that would have gone to him on Castellanos.  Pretty simple in theory

Yeah, seems like a net loss for the cubs here and if their payroll situation is so dire that they couldn't add a single dollar, I'm not sure how I shedding some salary opens up the door for a large long term commitment.

Just now, mqr said:

Castellanos could benefit huge from a 1 year pillow deal. 

What really changes for him though?  He's still a terrible defensive OF, 1 year older, takes the risk of having a down year with the bat, and enters a FA pool with more OF's in 2021.  Don't really see how any of that benefits him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

What really changes for him though?  He's still a terrible defensive OF, 1 year older, takes the risk of having a down year with the bat, and enters a FA pool with more OF's in 2021.  Don't really see how any of that benefits him.  

I actually think a lot can change.

He really only has 2 months as an elite hitter - his time with the cubs. His defensive metrics also "improved" with the cubs. I am skeptical on the defense moreso than the offense.

If he goes out and has a 950 ops with adequate defense he's looking at a big payday that could contend with what JD Martinez got. It's a gamble, but it certainly could pay off if the big long term commitments arent there this off season.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually think a lot can change.

He really only has 2 months as an elite hitter - his time with the cubs. His defensive metrics also "improved" with the cubs. I am skeptical on the defense moreso than the offense.

If he goes out and has a 950 ops with adequate defense he's looking at a big payday that could contend with what JD Martinez got. It's a gamble, but it certainly could pay off if the big long term commitments arent there this off season.

I suppose.  He could also regress back to the ~110 wRC+ player he always was, and coupled with his dogshit defense, put himself in a pretty terrible situation moving forward.

I don't think Castellanos is taking a 1 year deal unless that is his only option.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I suppose.  He could also regress back to the ~110 wRC+ player he always was, and coupled with his dogshit defense, put himself in a pretty terrible situation moving forward.

I don't think Castellanos is taking a 1 year deal unless that is his only option.  

True but I think his current negotiations are driven by that 110 hitter teams remember more than the 3 month surge. He's already being "punished" for it so why not gamble one more year to prove yourself.

46 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Every good decision requires a sacrifice of some good for another good. So you all are saying you would rather have better fielding than the HR and doubles? ok, im cool wit that.

Yeah, I think we are saying we don't want possibly the worst defensive OF in the history of baseball for a marginal hitting improvement, yep.

I'm pretty sure a two-man outfield of Robert and Engle would have better fielding than the Eloy/Castellanos(LOL)/Mazara OF you proposed. 

Edited by gusguyman

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

True but I think his current negotiations are driven by that 110 hitter teams remember more than the 3 month surge. He's already being "punished" for it so why not gamble one more year to prove yourself.

Fair.  I mean, I wouldn't complain if the Sox got him on like a 1/$20M deal.  I just doubt it happens.  

I would complain if they committed to more than 1 year of him.  

It is imperative that we compete in 2020 and 2021 to get our guys experience playing in big games. I don't want to half competing and think we should sign a RF if a deal is favorable for us and bring in another reliever. Who is to say we couldn't pull a 2015 Cubs with our division trending down?