Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2021 at 1:55 PM, lostfan said:

It's really an uphill task to convince people that the J&J vaccine isn't necessarily "worse" than Pfizer and Moderna bc of the efficacy numbers. They're really not measuring the same thing and they weren't tested the same way.

I saw this video today that explains it pretty well.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I saw this video today that explains it pretty well.

 

 

On 3/22/2021 at 1:55 PM, lostfan said:

It's really an uphill task to convince people that the J&J vaccine isn't necessarily "worse" than Pfizer and Moderna bc of the efficacy numbers. They're really not measuring the same thing and they weren't tested the same way.

Of the vaccine resistant groups, I find this one to be the least worrisome.

One - if anything it's the opposite of vaccine hesitancy.

Two - there actually should be a decent ability to have a choice in pretty short order, and really it's harder to get J&J now than to even get an appt in general

Three - Anecdotally, I know several friends who want to get J&J because they hate needles so much. Push comes to shove, they'd take what they can get, but to me there isn't much of a difference between the two, and there may be more needle-hesitant than J&J-hesitant.

J&J will be great for that group that is the general pop, I don't really blame someone in the high-risk groups or 65+ for getting the mRNA vaccines that were just so ridiculously good. 

It's also just easy to talk about preference when you actually don't have a choice yet. Look at how we start every offseason saying stuff like "ugh if we have to settle for Keuchel or Odorizzi" in September then all the top free agents go off board and we sign one and everyone is like "OH MY GOD WE LANDED KEUCHEL HE ROCKS". And he did rock, but people are pickier in hypothetical circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I saw this video today that explains it pretty well.

 

I actually came directly to this thread after watching that video :)

I had that thought bouncing in my head for a while and the video is what gave me the impulse to write it down (and also to explain it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Garbage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 3:48 PM, Iwritecode said:

At this point I'm going to wait until my HR gets something setup for all the employees at my workplace or they are readily available at CVS/Walgreens or whatever without having to schedule an appointment.

I've been signed up with my local heath department since early February and every time I check CVS/Walgreens websites they say nothing is available within 25 miles.

Try Wag's at 6 AM.  That's when they put up the new appointment times. It's when we got ours.  Let me know how you did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2021 at 2:48 PM, Dick Allen said:

I just got the Pfizer shot. I am very scared, to a ridiculous level, of needles. I looked away, and I didn't even notice he got me. But an hour later, my arm feels like I just threw 140 pitches.

I am going to get my shot as soon as they accept me. How are your symptoms? I am very nervous about the shots. Any advice on what medications I should have ready as the vaccine takes over the body? Thank u. No lie. I'm nervous about what I've read including the fact 1,200 have died or some similar number. 

I think some people won't get the vaccine because they think it's an ominous plot of the government. There are others like me who don't like the idea of purposely putting something in the body that could lay me out for 3 days and may cause lasting symptoms. I sure hope I don't mess up body organs or have hair all fall out in six months. Forgive me. This is a big boy message board and some people in America are scared. Nothing more ominous than that. Just fear.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am going to get my shot as soon as they accept me. How are your symptoms? I am very nervous about the shots. Any advice on what medications I should have ready as the vaccine takes over the body? Thank u. No lie. I'm nervous about what I've read including the fact 1,200 have died or some similar number. 

I think some people won't get the vaccine because they think it's an ominous plot of the government. There are others like me who don't like the idea of purposely putting something in the body that could lay me out for 3 days and may cause lasting symptoms. I sure hope I don't mess up body organs or have hair all fall out in six months. Forgive me. This is a big boy message board and some people in America are scared. Nothing more ominous than that. Just fear.

I had no side effects at all after both Pfizer shots.  My parents and in-laws have had their shots (Moderna and Pfizer), and none had side effects other than a sore arm.  My sisters had no side effects after their shots.  My daughter had a slight fever for about 12 hours after her second shot.  The vast majority of people do not have side effects other than a sore arm.  Some develop a low grade fever and feel run down for a short period of time.

My thought, before I got the shots, was I didn't care if it laid my up for a day or two.  To help keep me and my family safe, plus help get us back to some sort of normal...I'd get a shot every week if that's what it took.

In short, get the vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bmags said:

 

Garbage 

I don’t blame the EU for this one bit. They’ve really been screwed by AstraZeneca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Try Wag's at 6 AM.  That's when they put up the new appointment times. It's when we got ours.  Let me know how you did.

What in the world is Wag's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iwritecode said:

What in the world is Wag's?

Walgreens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was some store chain that I had never heard of. :lol:

Never heard anyone abbreviate it like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am going to get my shot as soon as they accept me. How are your symptoms? I am very nervous about the shots. Any advice on what medications I should have ready as the vaccine takes over the body? Thank u. No lie. I'm nervous about what I've read including the fact 1,200 have died or some similar number. 

I think some people won't get the vaccine because they think it's an ominous plot of the government. There are others like me who don't like the idea of purposely putting something in the body that could lay me out for 3 days and may cause lasting symptoms. I sure hope I don't mess up body organs or have hair all fall out in six months. Forgive me. This is a big boy message board and some people in America are scared. Nothing more ominous than that. Just fear.

FWIW, the virus itself could lay you out for a lot longer than 3 days and has been known to cause lasting symptoms in a lot of people.

Alll the vaccines have been proven to be 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death.

Get the shot as soon as you can.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my first Pfizer shot yesterday, no side affects at all.  Not even a sore arm.

Get your vaccines as soon as your eligible.  If your down for a day or two that’s nothing compared to actually getting the virus, and the quicker we can get people vaccinated the more we slow down the mutations.  So yes, do it for yourself, but do it for others as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t blame the EU for this one bit. They’ve really been screwed by AstraZeneca.

They screwed themselves, and in typical fashion are trying to regulate their way out of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bmags said:

They screwed themselves, and in typical fashion are trying to regulate their way out of it.

They had a deal for 100 million doses and AZ cut their delivery by 70%.

Trump did the exact same thing in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

What in the world is Wag's?

Walgreen's had a chain of Denny's like restaurants called Wag's in the 70's and 80's.

300px-Wag's_Restaurant.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

Walgreen's had a chain of Denny's like restaurants called Wag's in the 70's and 80's.

300px-Wag's_Restaurant.jpg

I never knew of that connection.  Wag's was pretty good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I never knew of that connection.  Wag's was pretty good. 

Ha,  but when you look at the font how did I not realize this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ha,  but when you look at the font how did I not realize this

Could also be the Washington Nationals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They had a deal for 100 million doses and AZ cut their delivery by 70%.

Trump did the exact same thing in December.

So they were late to move to signing deals with vaccine makers, late to approve, and then have invested next to nothing to help the supply chain and have been entirely dependent on AZ to do all of that, and also haven't even approved many of their suppliers.

There is a reason UK wasn't in the same place. There's a reason the US wasn't in the same place. There's no excuse for a bloc with their resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bmags said:

 

Of the vaccine resistant groups, I find this one to be the least worrisome.

One - if anything it's the opposite of vaccine hesitancy.

Two - there actually should be a decent ability to have a choice in pretty short order, and really it's harder to get J&J now than to even get an appt in general

Three - Anecdotally, I know several friends who want to get J&J because they hate needles so much. Push comes to shove, they'd take what they can get, but to me there isn't much of a difference between the two, and there may be more needle-hesitant than J&J-hesitant.

J&J will be great for that group that is the general pop, I don't really blame someone in the high-risk groups or 65+ for getting the mRNA vaccines that were just so ridiculously good. 

It's also just easy to talk about preference when you actually don't have a choice yet. Look at how we start every offseason saying stuff like "ugh if we have to settle for Keuchel or Odorizzi" in September then all the top free agents go off board and we sign one and everyone is like "OH MY GOD WE LANDED KEUCHEL HE ROCKS". And he did rock, but people are pickier in hypothetical circumstances.

If you don't mind the drive, the mass vaccination site in Quincy has many open slots everyday. It is very underutilized and they use the J&J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I thought it was some store chain that I had never heard of. :lol:

Never heard anyone abbreviate it like that.

It was the stock symbol on the NYSE before the merger and the name of their freestanding fast casual restaurants.  I thought it was common since I heard it many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an email from the county health department to schedule an appointment.

Set for my first shot next week.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got notified I am eligible - get 1st shot on Sunday at CVS.  Moderna is what it says I will get.  I actually wanted J&J - but beggers can't be choosers.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×