RIP Ed Farmer

aboz56

I met Farmio in the elevator at the park. He initiated a conversion and seemed a very nice man who was very interested in what you had to say. RIP.

For  guy who played for, scouted for and broadcast for the White Sox, it's interesting to note, except when he was in uniform, he never wore socks.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

I really am going to miss hearing his voice when listening to games while driving in the car.  I learned to enjoy the give and take between him and DJ.

I truly wish he is in heaven finally driving one of those windy city limos, or whatever else makes his dreams come true.

Prayers to his family at this difficult time.

• Like 5

We've long had discussions on their limitations, but Farmer and DJ made me belly laugh a lot. They were so weird, such a different pairing than you'd seek to put together for a broadcast. That had its issues, but also its highs.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

58 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

He certainly fulfilled a dream- a kid from the South Side of Chicago pitching for the White Sox, making an All Star game and then being a Sox broadcaster for 30 years.

You nailed it, he ,lived the dream, see you on the other side Farmio, may you RIP

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

We've long had discussions on their limitations, but Farmer and DJ made me belly laugh a lot. They were so weird, such a different pairing than you'd seek to put together for a broadcast. That had its issues, but also its highs.

Agreed. This is what I liked about them. Unique. Not run of the mill boring professionals. It was fun.

I for one will greatly miss him and that unique booth.

Godspeed.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

They might have been the weirdest fucking broadcast of any MLB team, but that's what made it work. 

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

They might have been the weirdest fucking broadcast of any MLB team, but that's what made it work. 

Seriously! They weren't just weird by baseball broadcast standards, they weird by any standard and it was so funny. But when the game's pressure was on, even though Farmer was not visual in what happens, DJ and him really got into the psychological part of the game that I loved. So good at talking about the battery game within the game.

Also that relationship of radio, listening in your car on road trips and laughing together. So upsetting to not have again.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

I could never figure out if they hated each other, or loved each other. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He had health problems for a long time.  He had already had an organ transplant (kidney IIRC) and was a big advocate for organ donations.  He was immuno-compromised and I remember him not traveling to Toronto during one of the last outbreaks (SARS or something similar) to avoid being exposed.

Did not realize his problems dated from when he was attacked by Al Cowens. The family had a history of kidney cysts. Ed had busted Al's Jaws and teeth the previous year from a wild pitch. Al was also a KC enemy from 1977. I was at the Cowens fight and we all freaked when Cowens ran to the mound. 

Just now, Quin said:

I always figured it was love in the brotherly kind of way.

I always thought it started out as a complete mismatch and awkwardness mixed with a crabby old guy, which kind of turned into a long series of inside jokes.  I spent a lot of time broadcasting myself, and always paid extra close attention to the home teams announcers and never heard anything like Farmer and DJ.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Seriously! They weren't just weird by baseball broadcast standards, they weird by any standard and it was so funny. But when the game's pressure was on, even though Farmer was not visual in what happens, DJ and him really got into the psychological part of the game that I loved. So good at talking about the battery game within the game.

Also that relationship of radio, listening in your car on road trips and laughing together. So upsetting to not have again.

Ed was better suited for analyst which worked fine with John Rooney. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

Ed was better suited for analyst which worked fine with John Rooney. 

Absolutely.  Eds intonation was terrible. You had no idea based off of his tone if it was a hit he was describing or a pop-up or a grounder.

But the discussion about what players were thinking, how they would prep, it was great.

• Like 1

Ed had been struggling with his health since the Texas series of last year. And for those asking about him and DJ, they were very good friends. I’m sure it’s a tough day for both families. 

Ed was a very generous man. He did a lot of small things for people. He once even offered my wife half his sandwich in the middle of the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Rest In Peace Farmio,

I will always have a special place in my heart for Ed.  I spent a lot of time delivering pizzas growing up in Tinley Park, listened to Sox games in the car as much as I could.  My favorite Farmer call from that era was when Bob Howry beaned Torii Hunter, apparently Hunter was giving Howry the stare down, Farmer said something to the effect of "yeah, go on out there Torii, you'll have one less "I" in your name and in your head!"  Right around that time I was able to meet Ed, a family friend happened to be a chef in the clubhouse restaurant, once a year he would get us a free skybox.  The last year he worked there he took me down the hall and into to the broadcast booth to meet Ed during an inning, my 17 year old mind was blown.  Ed popped up, shook my hand all while Rooney handled the game, asked me where I went to school, I told him Providence Catholic, his reply "ahhhh the Augustians!"  At the time I didn't know he went to St Rita, so I was taken aback by his knowledge of Catholic orders.  Longest fingers of any man I've shaken hands with, must have come in handy for wrapping up those curve balls!  

Ed wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but you can't deny the passion Ed had for White Sox Baseball and the love he brought to that park every day.  I feel like there's not many of these guys left, every time we lose one it is a sad day.

Thanks for the memories Ed, your passion for baseball rubbed off on this Sox fan and you got me through many a long shift!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Rest In Peace Farmio,

I will always have a special place in my heart for Ed.  I spent a lot of time delivering pizzas growing up in Tinley Park, listened to Sox games in the car as much as I could.  My favorite Farmer call from that era was when Bob Howry beaned Torii Hunter, apparently Hunter was giving Howry the stare down, Farmer said something to the effect of "yeah, go on out there Torii, you'll have one less "I" in your name and in your head!"  Right around that time I was able to meet Ed, a family friend happened to be a chef in the clubhouse restaurant, once a year he would get us a free skybox.  The last year he worked there he took me down the hall and into to the broadcast booth to meet Ed during an inning, my 17 year old mind was blown.  Ed popped up, shook my hand all while Rooney handled the game, asked me where I went to school, I told him Providence Catholic, his reply "ahhhh the Augustians!"  At the time I didn't know he went to St Rita, so I was taken aback by his knowledge of Catholic orders.  Longest fingers of any man I've shaken hands with, must have come in handy for wrapping up those curve balls!  

Ed wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but you can't deny the passion Ed had for White Sox Baseball and the love he brought to that park every day.  I feel like there's not many of these guys left, every time we lose one it is a sad day.

Thanks for the memories Ed, your passion for baseball rubbed off on this Sox fan and you got me through many a long shift!

Ha, it's incredible to me anyone didn't know he went to St. Rita 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3