Sign in to follow this  
Chicago White Sox

Extensions You’d Like to See

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the point remains it’s one of the only comps for Vaughn for a young 1B receiving an early extension.   It’s just not that common to take a risk at that particular position.

I doubt you can find that many comps for Eloys deal or Roberts deal either. Very few teams are in a spot where this type of extension before they play makes sense, and a number of players (Boras clients) will never sign them. That doesn’t change it having been a good move for this franchise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Things are getting smokey again

Woke up thinking this might actually get announced today. They put him on roster, don't have to play service time games if they buy out a year or two (possible options), spring training is over and no games or other news today, they have agreed to extensions with other young players prior to season starting, etc.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This doesn't really say much about an extension since he is going to be on the team either way and likely changing to 99 (as he said he wanted a year ago).

Keeping Vaughn on the roster in April and not getting the extra year is not very Whitesox ish. Personally, I am torn about losing that extra year for 1 month of April baseball. From a business standpoint I am not sure it’s very smart. Just my 2 cents. 

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Gio would be a much bigger deal than Vaughn.

He just said it's not Giolito. My enthusiasm is gone.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Yeah I just now saw that too. Maybe Lynn? 

Just now, DirtySox said:

Sounds like he got played 

IMO it's too early to lock up Vaughn. How about letting him dominate in the minors first? Giolito- yes he needs to be extended. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I just now saw that too. Maybe Lynn? 

Ha!
If that happens, it will be 75% TLR behind it.  Can’t say granting extensions to anyone but Verlander has been all that wise...and even Justin has had his ups and downs after hitting age 30.   It’s not like Lynn has the best physical conditioning in the world, but it has worked for him so far.

That said, spending  $25-50 million on Lynn instead of investing it into Giolito doesn’t seem like the kind of move most championship teams make.  Maybe the Cardinals can get away with it.

• Thanks 1

Maybe the good news isn't extension related at all.  What else could it be?  Eloy related?

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

IMO it's too early to lock up Vaughn. How about letting him dominate in the minors first? Giolito- yes he needs to be extended. 

Ain't no minors to dominate when you make the opening day roster.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Maybe the good news isn't extension related at all.  What else could it be?  Eloy related?

Eloy wasn't hurt at all and it was a ploy for the FO to grab Eloy for free after their fantasy baseball drafts this week .

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He already said Eloy might be a month ahead of the original timetable, ie 4-5 months rather than 5-6, so its not that.

Just now, heirdog said:

Dylan Cease?

I think Marshall is most likely with Lynn next on the totem poll.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Marshall is most likely with Lynn next on the totem poll.

The burners are comparing Vaughn to Cease's negotiations...in 2019 Sox thought they had Cease "done" and he backed out.  Then he tried to re-engage last year and Sox balked.  So maybe third time was the lucky charm?  These burners tend to be vague but drop little clues so I thought they might be doing it with Cease.

4 minutes ago, heirdog said:

The burners are comparing Vaughn to Cease's negotiations...in 2019 Sox thought they had Cease "done" and he backed out.  Then he tried to re-engage last year and Sox balked.  So maybe third time was the lucky charm?  These burners tend to be vague but drop little clues so I thought they might be doing it with Cease.

Cease would be an interesting gamble at the right price, but I’m guessing they’d rather wait and see that some of his offseason work has paid off first.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cease would be an interesting gamble at the right price, but I’m guessing they’d rather wait and see that some of his offseason work has paid off first.

If it was Cease.. They better make damn sure he's figured it out.. Oaf..

Clearly, they're locking up Rodon.