Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Madrigal 3000 hits "very reachable"

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It’s entirely tied to his batting average though. He’s aggressive and doesn’t walk. The fact that he has a pretty mediocre to below average exit velo on his hits (which are all singles) makes me pause to label him as a impact bat for the lineup. He’s a tough out, don’t get me wrong, but I get the impression teams will figure out how to position against him. If he never develops power, he’s a slap hitter. I’d rather have that type of hitter near the bottom for when the lineup turns over and the guys who can actually drive the ball are due up. He has a high floor due to his contact abilities, but I don’t see this prolific hitter I would rather have batting over anyone of the young guys currently on the team or projected to be in the lineup for the next few years.

But batting average is a skill and it is always going to be a big part of OBP. Ideally he should walk more but still about 70% of on base events are hits and a good BA is a good foundation for a high OBP. I mean joey gallo walks a ton but his obp still is sub 330 because of his BA.

Madrigal will never walk a ton but I think he can be like a 6% walk guy and regularly post 360+ obps with an above 300 BA as a strong foundation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will register 600 plate appearances a year if the is healthy.  He will get 180 hits.  

If he does that and plays until he is 41 he can do it.

Will he stay healthy and will be want to paly until he is 41 who knows.

You can compare him to David Eckstein but Eckstein never hit over .300 so that is really not a good comparison.

If he doesn't correct his defense and base running he will not make it.  

He has the bat to ball skill and speed to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He will register 600 plate appearances a year if the is healthy.  He will get 180 hits.  

If he does that and plays until he is 41 he can do it.

Will he stay healthy and will be want to paly until he is 41 who knows.

You can compare him to David Eckstein but Eckstein never hit over .300 so that is really not a good comparison.

If he doesn't correct his defense and base running he will not make it.  

He has the bat to ball skill and speed to do it.

Seldom does a rookie come up as a finished product.  Many players including Moncada, Gio, Robert, and Anderson all struggled at times during their Rookie campaigns.  Madrigal's defense and base running have been graded highly by professional baseball evaluators.  If Madrigal is our biggest problem we will be in a lot of playoff games in the near future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3000 is a lot of hits. He might actually become more selective as he gains experience. If that happens, he'll be a better player.

It won't help his hit total though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Based on the way folks on this board overwhelmingly want to trade him for pitching, he probably will be lucky to get 300 in a sox uniform.  

Fortunately, this board won't be making that call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zisk said:

3000 is a lot of hits. He might actually become more selective as he gains experience. If that happens, he'll be a better player.

It won't help his hit total though.

I don't think he will be a 3% walk guy going forward but more like 6-7%.

Ichiro in his prime might be a ceiling for him. Ichiro didn't walk much but he had a good eye (mid 20s o swing in his prime) so he walked like 6% or so and hit about 8 homers a year.

I don't think Nick will hit 350 like young ichiro (who had the advantage of being a lefty which allowed for quicker home to first times) but if madrigal could repeat the homer and walk rates of prime ichiro with maybe a 300-320 avg that would be very nice.

Edited by Dominikk85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

You can compare him to David Eckstein but Eckstein never hit over .300 so that is really not a good comparison.

Madrigal through first 29 games of career:

.340/379/369 in 109 PA

Eckstein through first 32 games of career:

.337/417/396 in 116 PA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Madrigal through first 29 games of career:

.340/379/369 in 109 PA

Eckstein through first 32 games of career:

.337/417/396 in 116 PA

That's not fair.  29 games is a season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 9:51 PM, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Based on the way folks on this board overwhelmingly want to trade him for pitching, he probably will be lucky to get 300 in a sox uniform.  

Fortunately...nobody on this site is getting a vote.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×