Sign in to follow this  
margiss

Colome to Twins, 1YR 5M plus option

Meh.  Helps solidify their pen I guess, but every outing is an adventure for Colome.  

Twins doing some dumpster diving this offseason right along with the Sox the offseason.  

• Like 1

Agreed.  Colome generally got the job done here but it was often an adventure.  I would wish him luck on his new team if it wasn't in division.

Edited by margiss
  • Like 1

For everyone that says every outing was an adventure - I'm going to plainly state he was an excellent closer for the White Sox. Flat out he converted saves at a high level.  Whether I bet on him being able to maintain that balancing act, maybe not - but at $5M this was a great use of resources for the Twins.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

For everyone that says every outing was an adventure - I'm going to plainly state he was an excellent closer for the White Sox. Flat out he converted saves at a high level.  Whether I bet on him being able to maintain that balancing act, maybe not - but at $5M this was a great use of resources for the Twins.  

I don't disagree.  He did a solid job.  But it was rarely pretty or uneventful.  I do agree that $6.25M, its a solid move.  

• Like 2

I would still take our bullpen over the Twins. Luckily we didn’t trade Heuer though because we would’ve had to sign another bullpen piece or bring up Tyler Johnson.

Edited by maloney.adam

Times have changed and totally agree it was always nerve-racking.  Best of luck when not pitching against us or when we need em to lose.  0.81 ERA got him a 50% pay cut!  True example of peripherals driving market.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would still take our bullpen over the Twins. Luckily we didn’t trade Heuer though because we would’ve had to sign another bullpen piece or bring up Tyler Johnson.

Or Cordero would still be the roster, Burdi, etc.

Rogers, Duffey, Colome ain't a bad 7th, 8th, 9th pen at all. I'm assuming they're gonna move Dobnak to the pen too unless he's gonna be their 5th starter.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Rogers, Duffey, Colome ain't a bad 7th, 8th, 9th pen at all. I'm assuming they're gonna move Dobnak to the pen too unless he's gonna be their 5th starter.

I still would take Heuer, Bummer and Hendriks. You also have Crochet, Marshall and Foster. We’ll see though, it’s going to be a dog fight again. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I still would take Heuer, Bummer and Hendriks. You also have Crochet, Marshall and Foster. We’ll see though, it’s going to be a dog fight again. 

Yeah our bullpen is better at the top and depth

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah our bullpen is better at the top and depth

I agree. Even after this move they have a lot of work to do with the bullpen. They could lose Romo as well. 

• Like 1

I mean, I’d take our bullpen too. I’m not sure that I’d take our bullpen and Rodon as the rotation depth over Colome coming back and having $10 million to spend on a real starting pitcher.

• Thanks 2

Sure seems Sox paid full price for everything while other teams got a big discount 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure seems Sox paid full price for everything while other teams got a big discount 

For an owner who doesn’t like setting the market... 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jerry Reinsdorf is all about players rights. Huge union guy.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm surprised he didn't find a two year offer.  

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm surprised he didn't find a two year offer.  

I’m actually kind of surprised that the Padres of all teams didn’t try to beat the Twins offer. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh.  Helps solidify their pen I guess, but every outing is an adventure for Colome.  

Twins doing some dumpster diving this offseason right along with the Sox the offseason.  

Dumpster diving for a guy who was an excellent closer for us for 2 years?

Please, Sox... do more "dumpster diving."

People are kidding themselves if they don't think this division is still going to be tough for the Sox to win. Realistically, we added 1 starter and little else. Our team is still potentially going to be very tenuous.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

5mil? would've been an amazing addition to our bullpen at that price.

Agree but it's definitely not necessary. Our bullpen might be the best aspect of our team regardless.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He was outstanding and $5M is a bargain. Should have signed AC and Q. Duh. 

• Thanks 1

Colome was great last year but there was some luck involved too. Obviously this is a pattern with him (3.54 career fip and 2.95 career ERA) but I still see him more as a good setup man than a top team closer.

• Like 1