Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flavum

2021 Spring Training Cuts Thread

Recommended Posts

DVS saying Ruiz is in. 

I’m sure there will be a lengthy transaction announcement sometime today.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a tough 365 days and a tough Spring with Eloy. I wish we could have brought another legit bat in here, but it is go time after today. The squad will need to simply do their parts to keep the wins coming and not try to replace him. I think our pitching staff will be good enough to keep us in games and offset some of the Eloy sting. Let's Go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

All that's left is adding Fry, Engel, and Eloy to the IL

 

Edited by flavum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Jimenez...Cordero....Engel.

Fry, not Cordero who is already on the 60-day.

They'll also add Vaughn and Hamilton to the 40-man. Possibly dumping a guy off the 40-man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever had Billy Hamilton and Jake Lamb on the opening day roster, collect your prize!

One of them leaves for Engel, then I predict there’s a heavy rotation of the 26th man throughout the year.  We need someone to step up and claim the ab’s.  I hope it’s Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flavum said:

 

All that's left is adding Fry, Engel, and Eloy to the IL

 

What about Turley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What about Turley?

He was DFA earlier in the day when Lamb was signed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So on the 40-man right now we have:

Active roster position players (13): Grandal, Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn, Robert, Eaton, Collins, Garcia, Lamb, Hamilton, Mercedes

Active roster pitchers (13): Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon, Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Crochet, Kopech, Heuer, Foster, Ruiz

10-day IL players (1): Engel

60-day IL players (don't count against the 40): Cordero, Jimenez, Fry??

Non-active roster players (13): Burdi, Flores, Johnson, Lambert, Lopez, Stiever, Zavala, Burger, Mendick, Sheets, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford

So if Fry goes on the 60-day and not the 10-day, nobody has to be DFA'd right now and one person has to go when Engel comes back (unless it's someone with options left).

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

So on the 40-man right now we have:

Active roster position players (13): Grandal, Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn, Robert, Eaton, Collins, Garcia, Lamb, Hamilton, Mercedes

Active roster pitchers (13): Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon, Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Crochet, Kopech, Heuer, Foster, Ruiz

10-day IL players (1): Engel

60-day IL players (don't count against the 40): Cordero, Jimenez, Fry??

Non-active roster players (13): Burdi, Flores, Johnson, Lambert, Lopez, Stiever, Zavala, Burger, Mendick, Sheets, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford

So if Fry goes on the 60-day and not the 10-day, nobody has to be DFA'd right now and one person has to go when Engel comes back

I imagine Zavala, Flores and then Gonzalez would be the first 3 on the chopping block.  Frankly amazing Zavala has lasted this long.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I imagine Zavala, Flores and then Gonzalez would be the first 3 on the chopping block.  Frankly amazing Zavala has lasted this long.  

Now that Lucroy is gone, cutting Zavala means that Mercedes is the only catching option if Grandal or Collins go down. If they aren't comfortable with Mercedes catching then Zavala probably survives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the need for 13 pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I never understood the need for 13 pitchers.

Hitters are taking more pitches, which has generated an increase in the number of pitches per plate appearance which means more pitches per game. Need more pitchers to throw the added pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I never understood the need for 13 pitchers.

I understood it before, but now with the 3 batter rule it shouldn't be as needed. Also, if you're carrying 8 (or more) relievers, you shouldn't really need a mop up guy with that deep of a pen. Maybe a couple guys who could go about 2 innings at a time if needed, but not necessarily a guy designated for the role. Just leave camp with the best 8 relievers.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still absolutely loathe this plan with Kopech.  Dude should not in the majors and he should not be pitching out the pen.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I still absolutely loathe this plan with Kopech.  Dude should not in the majors and he should not be pitching out the pen.  

Yeah I don't understand it one bit.. They were even stretching him out during spring training... I feel like  most of his appearances were 1 inning

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah I don't understand it one bit.. They were even stretching him out during spring training... I feel like  most of his appearances were 1 inning

I’m willing to bet that this bullpen is LaRussa saying he needs those guys now and getting his way. They’re going to wind up with both him and Crochet having pitched 60 innings this year and realize next offseason they can’t easily convert either of them to starters with that innings load.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still absolutely loathe this plan with Kopech.  Dude should not in the majors and he should not be pitching out the pen.  

Agreed. It's all just to give TLR the best roster this year while ignoring the long-term pros of him starting in the minors. Extra year of control, stretch arm out, work as a starter, manage workload where wins and losses don't matter.

Edited by manbearpuig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Balta1701 said:

I’m willing to bet that this bullpen is LaRussa saying he needs those guys now and getting his way. They’re going to wind up with both him and Crochet having pitched 60 innings this year and realize next offseason they can’t easily convert either of them to starters with that innings load.

Crochet I guess I am ok with what they are doing.  He is such a weapon out of the pen and I am still not  convinced he is a SP moving forward, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to "waste" those innings in the minors.  However, I hope they plan to have him piggyback Rodon on games Carlos doesn't pitch well but Sox are still in.  They need to get Crochet to at least 80-100 innings this year if he has any chance of being in the rotation next year. 

Kopech? I have absolutely no idea what they're doing and I hate it.   They can't possibly think that Rodon/Lopez is going to get them through the season in the 5 spot.  I hope this is merely a way to control Kopech's innings, and he'll be starting games by mid summer.  We need him starting games down the stretch.  But this whole plan is dumb - he should be making short AAA starts until June to keep his innings in control and then call him up.  This pen stuff is trash.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Crochet I guess I am ok with what they are doing.  He is such a weapon out of the pen and I am still not  convinced he is a SP moving forward, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to "waste" those innings in the minors.  However, I hope they plan to have him piggyback Rodon on games Carlos doesn't pitch well but Sox are still in.  They need to get Crochet to at least 80-100 innings this year if he has any chance of being in the rotation next year. 

Kopech? I have absolutely no idea what they're doing and I hate it.   They can't possibly think that Rodon/Lopez is going to get them through the season in the 5 spot.  I hope this is merely a way to control Kopech's innings, and he'll be starting games by mid summer.  We need him starting games down the stretch.  But this whole plan is dumb - he should be making short AAA starts until June to keep his innings in control and then call him up.  This pen stuff is trash.  

 

I think they’ve got Tony LaRussa as manager and he said he needs his best pitchers in the bullpen and he’s in charge so that’s his call. After all, it worked well for Wainright, so it will work well again. But you’re right, it’s ludicrous that they don’t have Kopech stretched out in AAA for when someone gets hurt.

Also, there’s no way Crochet gets to 100 innings with this pen. Not with both Bummer and Hendricks out there. He’d have to be a nearly permanent opener to get those innings. I looked and in 2019 only 15 pitchers in baseball got 75+ innings out of the bullpen, and Hendricks was one of them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think they’ve got Tony LaRussa as manager and he said he needs his best pitchers in the bullpen and he’s in charge so that’s his call. After all, it worked well for Wainright, so it will work well again. But you’re right, it’s ludicrous that they don’t have Kopech stretched out in AAA for when someone gets hurt.

Also, there’s no way Crochet gets to 100 innings with this pen. Not with both Bummer and Hendricks out there. He’d have to be a nearly permanent opener to get those innings. I looked and in 2019 only 15 pitchers in baseball got 75+ innings out of the bullpen, and Hendricks was one of them.

Yeah.  I think he'd need to be regularly making 2-4 inning relief appearances following poor starts to make it work.  Which IMO, he should be doing if the plan is actually to have him start in 22.  

But the Kopech this is just dumb.  I literally cannot come up with a single redeeming factor of this plan.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah.  I think he'd need to be regularly making 2-4 inning relief appearances following poor starts to make it work.  Which IMO, he should be doing if the plan is actually to have him start in 22.  

But the Kopech this is just dumb.  I literally cannot come up with a single redeeming factor of this plan.  

I guess in theory it could be possible to come up with that many short outings, but that's going to mean a lot of "pulling Cease or Rodon in the 3rd inning when they've given up 2 runs and there's another guy in scoring position", which really isn't great for those guys either, Cease especially. You're not going to want to pull Keuchel or Lynn that early even if they're having a bad day, it's not like they haven't worked through bad innings before, and there might be 1 game all year where you have to pull Giolito that early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×