The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

23 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Again, a total eye test, but let's be honest. If I told you to find 19 consecutive fly ball putouts by Eloy that have looked as smooth and competent as Vaughn's 19 outs, I would bet you would have to look long and hard. Not his best 19, but 19 in-a-row. In fact, I would guess that you wouldn't be able to do it. I understand that "smooth and competent" is hard to define exactly, but still, total eye test (now with backing stats); if you're being honest, Vaughn already seems to be better in LF than Eloy. 

I probably wouldn't be able to do it mainly because it's easy to find the info on those 19 putouts on Vaughn because that's all he has. With Eloy unless you watch video of every game it's very hard to find a streak you asked for. You can't  find defensive stats that only cover certain periods of time like a few weeks or a month and a half. If I'm being honest I'd say the same thing I already said which is indeterminable at this time because of lack of data. Vaughn has so few chances I can't remember seeing Robert taking Vaughn's catches away like we saw when Eloy was camped under routine fly balls and Robert called him off.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And he remains behind Leary Garcia and Jake Lamb in Tony’s pecking order.

How does Vaughn have 17 games and 51 PA put him behind Lamb with 9 games and 28 PA?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

How does Vaughn have 17 games and 51 PA put him behind Lamb with 9 games and 28 PA?

Tony is playing Lamb regularly against RHP once he passed Tony’s LF audition. Both played four games since April 29th, Leary played five. On a team with a competent lucid modern day manager, Vaughn is a regular, Garcia a bench player, Lamb not even invited to ST.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Tony is playing Lamb regularly against RHP once he passed Tony’s LF audition. Both played four games since April 29th, Leary played five. On a team with a competent lucid modern day manager, Vaughn is a regular, Garcia a bench player, Lamb not even invited to ST.

I would disagree that a rookie learning how to hit and play a new position at the MLB level should just be thrown out there. Easing him into playing time is the right way to go. He will get more playing time as he gets comfortable and used to the league. your entire scenario probably would have played out if Eloy was the regular LF. However, they needed to replace his games from other players. Garcia would not have needed to play this much if jimienez was in the lineup.

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree that a rookie learning how to hit and play a new position at the MLB level should just be thrown out there. Easing him into playing time is the right way to go. He will get more playing time as he gets comfortable and used to the league. your entire scenario probably would have played out if Eloy was the regular LF. However, they needed to replace his games from other players. Garcia would not have needed to play this much if jimienez was in the lineup.

Vaughn is doing just fine out there and should be playing every day.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Vaughn is doing just fine out there and should be playing every day.

He is starting to. He started out struggling to hit. I would imagine his playing time will continue to increase.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Leery about Leury...actually, he’s been our recent top clutch hitter, seemingly because he had the most opportunities and the law of averages kicking in.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

L-O-L.  .136 AVG + .321 OBP.   5 BB to only 9K's.

This is the post of someone who hasn't played baseball since coach pitch.  Vaughn hit ropes ever since the La Russa old man mind games benching - to ALL sides of the field.  It's been 3 weeks of a season - Kid is a ball player and is a sleeping giant.  Wait until some of these balls start finding gaps and Vaughn is up to .250 AVG + .400 OBP...

Vaughn who "Can't Hit" is hitting .346 since April 16th.  

Vaughn definitely looks the part in LF and I can confidently say he is a better LF than Eloy at this point.  Eloy days of playing the OF should be mostly over. I am fine working him in at 1B/DH/occasional LF start next year, and hopefully he can stick at 1B.  But I see no good reason to stick Eloy back in LF and move Vaughn in to 1B.  

Only other scenario is honestly Vaughn has looked decent enough in LF that maybe he could handle RF on occasion in 22 when we want to run a murderer's row lineup out there, but seems like a lot to ask of the kid.  

So far Vaughn is average by statcast outs above average which is great. 

He has made every 1 and 2 star play Opportunity that he got. 

I will Say he got a little Lucky though as he hasn't gotten a single 3 or 4 star opportunity and only, 2 5 star ones which he didn't catch. 

I'm not expecting him to make 5 star plays (even the top fielders make only like 30% of them) but the real test Will be when he gets the 3 and 4 star opportunities. 

He did get Lucky that balls were hit out of his range or at him basically. 

Still it is a good thing that he does make the routine outs it could have been a lot worse and I think at least for this year he is OK. 

Obviously long term he is too slow for the Of but he seems to have good instincts and not getting nervous out there 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

really wish the universal DH was open this year. Yermin would be SO attractive in a trade for a quality young outfielder. 

Don't think they would get much right now. If he continues well for the whole year, they may get something in the off season.

Just now, ptatc said:

Don't think they would get much right now. If he continues well for the whole year, they may get something in the off season.

Fair. but I think the controllable service time would really make him attractive to the Marlins/Pirates/Rockies. 

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Fair. but I think the controllable service time would really make him attractive to the Marlins/Pirates/Rockies. 

Definitely. If he continues his strong hitting there will be more teams than that interested.

I don't think Eloy steps foot in left field again.  Can you imagine, if after all this, the Sox put him out in left field again next year and he got injured again?!?  It would be a PR disaster and the Sox have invested too much in him.  No, he's done in the field.

Vaughn will play left this year and next year and then the Sox will have to decide whether to keep him there long term or move him to 1B if/when Abreu's contract is up.

Yermin should absolutely be traded this offseason to an NL team needing a DH.  If he's solid all year, the Sox should be able to get really good value for him in a trade as a cost-controlled, MLB-proven hitter.

26 minutes ago, knightni said:

Yermin will either have to learn catcher, or get traded for an outfielder.

You don't trade a guy with his kind of bat... he's been absurd so far and has showed no signs of slowing down. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I don't think Eloy steps foot in left field again.  Can you imagine, if after all this, the Sox put him out in left field again next year and he got injured again?!?  It would be a PR disaster and the Sox have invested too much in him.  No, he's done in the field.

Vaughn will play left this year and next year and then the Sox will have to decide whether to keep him there long term or move him to 1B if/when Abreu's contract is up.

Yermin should absolutely be traded this offseason to an NL team needing a DH.  If he's solid all year, the Sox should be able to get really good value for him in a trade as a cost-controlled, MLB-proven hitter.

This should not enter their thought process. Any decision about Jimenez in the field should purely based on what's best for the team.