Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hi8is

The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

Recommended Posts

Hard to tell anything positive yet, but he’s been making the few plays that come to him. He doesn’t seem any slower than Eloy thats for sure. Somehow he seems  surprisingly adequate. I can’t see anything thats been negative so far.  I like him in left more than at first if he can learn the job. Let Eloy learn how to play first, because I bet after it all shakes out that Vaughn will be a better left fielder than Eloy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Hard to tell anything positive yet, but he’s been making the few plays that come to him. He doesn’t seem any slower than Eloy thats for sure. Somehow he seems  surprisingly adequate. I can’t see anything thats been negative so far.  I like him in left more than at first if he can learn the job. Let Eloy learn how to play first, because I bet after it all shakes out that Vaughn will be a better left fielder than Eloy.

Eloy at 1B seems like a bad idea, just make him the DH long-term if Vaughn or eventually Colas can take hold of LF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Hard to tell anything positive yet, but he’s been making the few plays that come to him. He doesn’t seem any slower than Eloy thats for sure. Somehow he seems  surprisingly adequate. I can’t see anything thats been negative so far.  I like him in left more than at first if he can learn the job. Let Eloy learn how to play first, because I bet after it all shakes out that Vaughn will be a better left fielder than Eloy.

Despite how hard Eloy makes it look, left field is not a hard position for 99% of big league athletes.  Vaughn will be fine out there.  Anybody that was able to play 3B in D1 should be able to play LF in MLB without too much issue, and Vaughn has been taking some OF reps for over a year now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Despite how hard Eloy makes it look, left field is not a hard position for 99% of big league athletes.  Vaughn will be fine out there.  Anybody that was able to play 3B in D1 should be able to play LF in MLB without too much issue, and Vaughn has been taking some OF reps for over a year now.

Exactly. On the pre-game show the other night, they had a graphic of guys who have played LF for most/a lot of their careers and, despite not being pretty, basically all of them had long MLB careers because of the bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tune in to Soxtalk after Vaughn boots one in Left or cannot get to a ball that most left fielders would and it costs the Sox the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tray said:

Tune in to Soxtalk after Vaughn boots one in Left or cannot get to a ball that most left fielders would and it costs the Sox the game.

Can't look as bad as that Eaton play last night, am I right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I like.

Much more valuable for him and the team if he can play a serviceable LF. The latter if the White Sox actually have the sense and balls to tell Eloy his days in LF are Ovah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

 Anybody that was able to play 3B in D1 should be able to play LF in MLB without too much issue

Vaughn never played third

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not a fan of this from the start. I felt that Vaughn trying to learn a new position while also trying to learn to hit MLB pitching could lead to him not doing either well. The hitting may take some time, but he's showing promise as a left fielder. Eloy wouldve ran full speed into the wall on that play if he were in left. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot tell me that with Yermin's speed and athleticism, he cannot play in left.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What do we do with Yermin if he keeps hitting? Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF? That offense could be all time good, lol

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vaughn looked better his last at-bat (seemed to be watching all of the pitches well, laying off) but still needs to start turning on pitches more aggressively...it's not like that Mariners' pitcher had overwhelming stuff. 

At least he didn't look completely over matched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty solid in LF to me.  The at bats have been ugly, tho.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Looks pretty solid in LF to me.  The at bats have been ugly, tho.  

Just as we expected.

 

Like Jason keeps saying on the broadcasts, I think he just needs that first hit to fall and then he'll be fine. He was seeing the ball better as the game went on last night

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vulture said:

Vaughn never played third

Ah my bad, I confused Rickie's comments last year with his college position.  For whatever reason Rickie was pretty effusive of Vaughn at 3B in spring.  Said he looked like a guy that could stick there.  Regardless, we've seen Vaughn in all of what, two games in left and he already looks just fine out there.  Certainly better than Eloy.  Good scouting by Chicago internally.  He's fine there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 3:28 PM, manbearpuig said:

Can't look as bad as that Eaton play last night, am I right?

Vaughn is to tray as Abreu is to ron and Madrigal is to Harold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

Yea - he certainly seems serviceable out there and should improve with more playing time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

I was just glad he didn't dive and hurt himself... That's a step in the right direction :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Vaughn is to tray as Abreu is to ron and Madrigal is to Harold.

One of these is rational.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be exaggerating since I haven't "seen him" play LF but it seems like he's the best defensive left fielder we've ever had?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BRDSR said:

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

I thought it was a tough play did anybody catch the exit velocity on it?  I thought it wasn't hit that hard but maybe it was, regardless it was a tough play.  

More importantly he looks OK at the dish.  It's risky having him try and make the jump from high A to MLB and play LF.  Clearly he is mentally steady, even for a pro ball player.

Keep proving me wrong please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vaughn's statcast page updated. That sprint speed, man.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×