Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wegner

Dear Rob Manfred

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It is now a 162 game season again.  Why in the hell are we continuing to put a base runner on 2nd in extras whose only recent accomplishment is making the last out in the previous inning.

Crochet getting an L today....that is some bullshit.

Edited by wegner
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is bullshit and it needs to end. Sox are 0-1 and the Twins are 0-3 in bullshit games. 

Play two innings of real baseball, and then go to the bullshit in the 12th. Or play real baseball for three innings and call ties after 12...nobody will die.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flavum said:

It is bullshit and it needs to end. Sox are 0-1 and the Twins are 0-3 in bullshit games. 

Play two innings of real baseball, and then go to the bullshit in the 12th. Or play real baseball for three innings and call ties after 12...nobody will die.

Or just don't do it at all. Keep it how it was. Pace of play is a different issue than length of game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

What the hell is this? MLB OR LITTLE LEAGUE?

I’ll let you know on May 14 when fans pay full price for 7 inning games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HIlarious we do garbage things like artificially putting a man on second, and baseball won't use the freaking electronic strike zone box for appeals. Out of preserving the essence of the game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much like Jerry, do you think Manfred gives a fuck what we think?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wegner said:

It is now a 162 game season again.  Why in the hell are we continuing to put a base runner on 2nd in extras whose only recent accomplishment is making the last out in the previous inning.

Crochet getting an L today....that is some bullshit.

One of the worse rule changes MLB instituted. Just way too much messing with the game IMO 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I disagree wholeheartedly. It is the only change MLB has made in the past decade that actually makes sense. It simultaneously (a) helps make sure the games don't end too late, which there was a whole thread about hating here last week, (b) reduces dangerous overwork on pitchers that occurs in extra inning games, making it an actually helpful step toward reducing arm injuries (position players that aren't used to pitching can get them too), and (c) is completely fair to both sides. Crochet got the L because the Sox failed to convert when given the exact same advantage.

The only fathomable argument that can be made against it is "it isn't like it used to be," which the the number one worst reason to be against anything. Unlike other changes/suggestions such as lowering the mound, changing the length of the basepaths, limiting pickoff attempts, banning the shift, adding a pitch clock, etc., it doesn't change HOW the game is played at all. Teams are simply put in a situation (having a runner in scoring position) that they're in ALL THE TIME and they react to it precisely how they would normally. This change, unlike all the others, doesn't affect the mechanics OR strategy of the game at all. It doesn't make any players more or less valuable. It actually IS still the same game, much moreso than anything else being discussed.

And before anyone says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," realize that it IS broke: we're all painfully aware the both injuries and game length have been spiraling out of control for years, and EVERYONE complains about both of those things all the time. While this rule change obviously can't completely fix those issues by itself, it at least addresses and impacts both in direct and measurable ways -- unlike nearly every other asinine half-measure the league has taken or considered recently.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, even though it didn't play out today, IMO it give a huge advantage to the home team. Knowing how many you need beforehand is nicer than not knowing, and with a guy on 2nd. knowing 1 run will do is huge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Personally, even though it didn't play out today, IMO it give a huge advantage to the home team. Knowing how many you need beforehand is nicer than not knowing, and with a guy on 2nd. knowing 1 run will do is huge.

I agree with you, but how is that any different than before? That’s an advantage the home team has always had in extra innings. Every time the home team hits, they know what they need to do to win, regardless of whether or not the away team scored in the previous inning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good thread. I'd let the game go 11 innings then put runners on second and third for the 12th. There will be urgency to win before that 12th frame. Game will be almost assured of ending no later than 12 innings. Fans will stay cause that 12th frame will be EXCITING stuff.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How would people feel about adding ties to the game, as opposed to the baserunner rule? Tie after the 11th perhaps. Something has to be done to limit super long games and to preserve pitcher's arms. 

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ron883 said:

How would people feel about adding ties to the game, as opposed to the baserunner rule? Tie after the 11th perhaps. Something has to be done to limit super long games and to preserve pitcher's arms. 

Personally, way worse. I say this only because been following the NPB (which has ties after 12 innings) very closely for the last few years, enough that I’ve developed a solid rooting interest — and the feeling I get every time I watch a game that ends in a tie is pure disappointment and frustration. It’s just a real bummer of an outcome. 

in normal years, it happens a handful of times for each team. But in 2021, in an alleged attempt to close down early because of COVID, the npb is awarding ties after NINE innings, so no extra innings at all. I just watched my favorite team (currently in first place and with a definite contender this year) play a huge weekend series against the defending champs and come out of it 0-1-2. I can’t remember the last time I felt worse about meaningful baseball. I saw an article that the league is currently on pace for well over a hundred total ties this year under the new rule. And it’s a twelve team league. 

Anyway, for me, a tie in baseball is just an extremely un-fun thing to happen. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Crochet simply executes a relatively simple baseball play, we're not having this conversation in all likelihood.

Twins' fans should be the ones who are most upset, 0-3 in extra innings now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really dislike the artificial double to start an inning with no outs, It really makes no sense to me for several reasons

My 2 cents: If, after a conventional extra inning of play (the 10th) the game remains tied, then it is registered as a tie.

So balls to the wall with whatever pitching and hitting you have in the 10th.

During the last 12 games of the season and obviously during the play-offs, the old way goes back into effect. Play until it is decided.

 

Edited by tray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also dear Rob Manfred, fix this bullshit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tray said:

I really dislike the artificial double to start an inning with no outs, It really makes no sense to me for several reasons

My 2 cents: If, after a conventional extra inning of play (the 10th) the game remains tied, then it is registered as a tie.

So balls to the wall with whatever pitching and hitting you have in the 10th.

During the last 12 games of the season and obviously during the play-offs, the old way goes back into effect. Play until it is decided.

 

MLB seems very reluctant to consider having ties. I get that a tie is a very unsatisfying result for fans, but when it's one game of 162, I'd think people would understand.

I'm OK with the runner on 2nd rule this year as pitchers are coming off a 60-game season and haven't pitched much, but it has to go after this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good thread. I'd let the game go 11 innings then put runners on second and third for the 12th. There will be urgency to win before that 12th frame. Game will be almost assured of ending no later than 12 innings. Fans will stay cause that 12th frame will be EXCITING stuff.

Do it in the 13th and let each team have 3 innings to end it under the old rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% agree with getting rid of this abomination. I understood during a 60 game sprint but we're back to a full schedule season. This is such a dumb rule. Heck when I played slow pitch softball I thought it was a dumb rule then. Never could've imagined the top level of the sport implementing this rule, but here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

100% agree with getting rid of this abomination. I understood during a 60 game sprint but we're back to a full schedule season. This is such a dumb rule. Heck when I played slow pitch softball I thought it was a dumb rule then. Never could've imagined the top level of the sport implementing this rule, but here we are.

It's not the greatest but at least in softball it truly is about time, we have a 1 hour Time limit for each game.   MLB doesn't have that, people are at the parks again, speeding up extra innings in this manner isn't necessary at all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×