Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Greydawgfan1

Madrigal.

Recommended Posts

Wish I could see said triple without watching the whole awful slaughter of a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Wish I could see said triple without watching the whole awful slaughter of a game.

Yeah same. If only they had some sort of system where they could take clips of the high points of the game and clip them so we could just watch those. Maybe they could even use some sort of social media platform to distribute said clips. hmmmm, maybe a start-up idea? 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tray said:

 

How about comparing Yogi Berra  (who was Madrigal's height) a 15 time all Star to Madrigal based only on his height? 

 

A 64 win catcher?  Bill Shoemaker was also the same height, and a bonafide legend.  Book it.

 

4 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think OPS has anything to do with Madrigal’s game or contributions.  It should never be used in evaluating him or comparing him to others.  Just my .02

Stats need not apply if it is a player we like.  

 

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

His value is turning over the lineup and getting on base

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

A 64 win catcher?  Bill Shoemaker was also the same height, and a bonafide legend.  Book it.

 

Stats need not apply if it is a player we like.  

 

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

Why apply a stat to Madrigal that is 50% composed of slugging, a thing he doesn’t do?  That’s simply madness.  
 

While I do think Madrigal will eventually start slugging way more than people think (extra bases not so much homers), I’m not going to see where his ISO, fly ball and launch angles rank amongst second basemen.  
 

Buehrle didn’t strike people out- did he suck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully he puts a lot of extra work  into his defensive play. The kid can hit and he can make himself a good defensive 2nd baseman.  He does not seem to have great quickness so his technique and positional play are important. A team with numerous power hitters needs OBP guys to supplement run production. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nick Madrigal is a very good young player. He makes contact and puts the ball in play and makes things happen. What do you judge a player by anyway? Home runs exclusively? Madrigal reminds me of Nellie Fox

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Yeah same. If only they had some sort of system where they could take clips of the high points of the game and clip them so we could just watch those. Maybe they could even use some sort of social media platform to distribute said clips. hmmmm, maybe a start-up idea? 

There’s no highlight video on mlb’s White Sox app showing Madrigals triple. It isn’t even shown in the consolidated game, from what I could tell at least. 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

Wow, hes only had 150 at bats in the major leagues and hes already doing better than half of the second basemen out there? Amazing

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Yeah same. If only they had some sort of system where they could take clips of the high points of the game and clip them so we could just watch those. Maybe they could even use some sort of social media platform to distribute said clips. hmmmm, maybe a start-up idea? 

I bet MLB could even sell it prematurely in a few years instead of keeping it in house and using it brand things like NFTs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:


Nick Madrigal is a very good young player. He makes contact and puts the ball in play and makes things happen. What do you judge a player by anyway? Home runs exclusively? Madrigal reminds me of Nellie Fox

omg I'm dying.  @greg775 better up your game you got competition.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hi8is said:

There’s no highlight video on mlb’s White Sox app showing Madrigals triple. It isn’t even shown in the consolidated game, from what I could tell at least. 😆

I can't find that highlight either. Madrigal hit a hard line drive that rang around the RF corner. He made it to third easily.

 

Edited by tray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tray said:

I can't find that highlight either. Madrigal hit a hard line drive that rang around the RF corner. He made it to third easily.

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've said this before. If you have 9 Madrigals in your lineup, you'll have an awful offense. However, having one of them amongst a lineup of powerful free swingers is very useful. When he comes up with runners on base, you have a good chance that he won't kill the rally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Statcast:

  • K % = 100th percentile
  • Hard Hit = 3rd percentile
  • BB Rate = 24th percentile
  • Sprint Speed = 75th percentile (was 71st just a few days ago and 78th last year)
  • Outs Above Average = 9th percentile (was 86th percentile last year)

The talk of him having poor speed was greatly exaggerated here, even if he’s the not speed demon scouting reports had him hyped up to be at the time of the draft.  Defensively he’s been abysmal this year, but it’s a small sample size and last year OAA actually liked him.  Either way, I see him developing into a slightly above average defensive 2B when all it said & done at a minimum with some upside beyond that.

Offensively, we all know the contact ability is legit, but hitting a bunch of soft singles isn’t going to be enough.  He’s got to find a way to hit with a bit more authority like he did the other day and rack up some doubles and/or start drawing more walks.  I think that happens and he becomes a pretty damn valuable player, even if we’ll all still be wishing we took Kelenic instead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GREEDY said:

 

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

I didn't know we were judging on a dozen or so games in 2021 only. I guess we should be benching Abreu too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think I've said this before. If you have 9 Madrigals in your lineup, you'll have an awful offense. However, having one of them amongst a lineup of powerful free swingers is very useful. When he comes up with runners on base, you have a good chance that he won't kill the rally.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I didn't know we were judging on a dozen or so games in 2021 only. I guess we should be benching Abreu too. 

I mean, I wouldn't mind Abreu getting back to back days off soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I didn't know we were judging on a dozen or so games in 2021 only. I guess we should be benching Abreu too. 

I reacted to your judging.  Small sample size only applies to the haters here.

 

9 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Wow, hes only had 150 at bats in the major leagues and hes already doing better than half of the second basemen out there? Amazing

 

In his greatest strength.  Now do literally every other aspect of the game.  Amazing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think I've said this before. If you have 9 Madrigals in your lineup, you'll have an awful offense. However, having one of them amongst a lineup of powerful free swingers is very useful. When he comes up with runners on base, you have a good chance that he won't kill the rally.

I've seen this said many times and I just don't buy it.  I'd put a lineup of 9 Madrigals vs. any lineup in baseball all day long.  On a per game basis, you're looking at at about 12-14 hits, 4-5 walks, and 0 strikeouts.  People don't think that would produce a bunch of runs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I've seen this said many times and I just don't buy it.  I'd put a lineup of 9 Madrigals vs. any lineup in baseball all day long.  On a per game basis, you're looking at at about 12-14 hits, 4-5 walks, and 0 strikeouts.  People don't think that would produce a bunch of runs?

You have to string hits together just to get one run, and 3+ run innings will almost never happen. You can't win in today's game without power.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I've seen this said many times and I just don't buy it.  I'd put a lineup of 9 Madrigals vs. any lineup in baseball all day long.  On a per game basis, you're looking at at about 12-14 hits, 4-5 walks, and 0 strikeouts.  People don't think that would produce a bunch of runs?

I think your estimates are severely off unless you are using personal projections that making Nick the greatest on base player in the history of the game.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

-0.1 WAR

+.4 WAR

If you want to stick to this year's small number if games, 117 OPS+. 17% above the MLB average. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You have to string hits together just to get one run, and 3+ run innings will almost never happen. You can't win in today's game without power.

Not true at all, because your 27 outs are all balls in play.  Runner(s) would be advancing on most at bats.  There would be plenty of 1-hit innings that would result in a run.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I think your estimates are severely off unless you are using personal projections that making Nick the greatest on base player in the history of the game.

I would check your math on that.  9 guys with a .350-.375 OBP and 27 outs.  How many times on base?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×