The Makings of a Juggernaut?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

6 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Well sure, but again that's the same thing for every team. There's never going to be a team in baseball that isn't going to have the field heavily favored over them to win the title.

I don't know that there is any team I am "confident" in winning the World Series.  I do think the lack of track record here is something that many other teams don't have.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know that there is any team I am "confident" in winning the World Series.  I do think the lack of track record here is something that many other teams don't have.

The Fangraphs odds have the Dodgers at the highest chance at 16%. The Mets are 2nd at 12% and the White Sox are third at 11%. The Astros and the Padres are the only other teams in double digits at 10.5% and 10%. That seems about right to me.

4 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

The Fangraphs odds have the Dodgers at the highest chance at 16%. The Mets are 2nd at 12% and the White Sox are third at 11%. The Astros and the Padres are the only other teams in double digits at 10.5% and 10%. That seems about right to me.

I will be honest, I do think the Sox time of reckoning is coming with their pitching.  A LOT of their innings are going to come from guys who are doing this for either the first time in their lives when you look at Cease/Kopech/Crochet, or have a history of not being able to pitch this long in Rodon.  If they stay healthy?  Yeah, they have a good chance.  Do I see it happening that all of those guys make it through to the playoffs with availability and health?  I wouldn't bet on it.  Then we are also assuming that nothing bad happens to the rest of the big three, which is much safer, but you never know.

Hopefully the rest of the core also stays healthy.

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, I do think the Sox time of reckoning is coming with their pitching.  A LOT of their innings are going to come from guys who are doing this for either the first time in their lives when you look at Cease/Kopech/Crochet, or have a history of not being able to pitch this long in Rodon.  If they stay healthy?  Yeah, they have a good chance.  Do I see it happening that all of those guys make it through to the playoffs with availability and health?  I wouldn't bet on it.  Then we are also assuming that nothing bad happens to the rest of the big three, which is much safer, but you never know.

Those are definite concerns but they apply equally to if not more to all of the other AL contenders. No one on Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, New York (sans Cole), Oakland, or Houston (sans Greinke and maybe McCullers) has that dependable history where you can be very confident about them in the playoffs. And I'd argue we're still in better shape in regards to this than most or maybe all of the contenders in the AL.

Edited by OmarComing25

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would like to add that if you let me have ONE of Rodon, Cease, or Kopeck as playoff starter then we have still have four very good starters.  And certainly at the start of the year we thought this would be an offensive team...and by October we could have well rested Robert and Jiminez added to a top three offense.    Plus I think we add at the TDL.  As I've often said...Sox had top 5 payroll in  00's, 90's and 80's when the team was good. No reason to believe JR will be cheap here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

Those are definite concerns but they apply equally to if not more to all of the other AL contenders. No one on Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, New York (sans Cole), Oakland, or Houston (sans Greinke and maybe McCullers) has that dependable history where you can be very confident about them in the playoffs. And I'd argue we're still in better shape in regards to this than most or maybe all of the contenders in the AL.

Cleveland has now lost all their opening week starters except Cy Civale to injury or non performance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Best record in AL and third best record in MLB heading into the ASB. Vegas futures odds has the White Sox with the third best odds of winning the World Series. Remarkable when you consider the number of injuries to key players. Now if they can just get most of these guys healthy heading into the playoffs, this October could be very fun for White Sox fans.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, OmarComing25 said:

Let’s just hope we don’t face Bassitt in the playoffs again…that would be bad karma.

28 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Eloy can’t wait to crash into corn stalks, and RIP photo bombs with Ray “Shoeless Joe” Liotta in heaven.

Definitely don’t want Eloy up until next week after the NL series in Milwaukee. Hopefully he’ll be PH or play a Jake Lamb like 2 ABs before leaving for a legitimate ML outfielder in the final NL series at Wrigley. 

Have zero expectation Eloy gives a shit about avoiding stupid plays or getting injured, not to mention two errors in 41 minor league innings so far, or two more than Andrew Vaughn at a brand new position this entire season.

As Steve Stone said, the team has been immensely successful without Eloy doing a god damned thing for it, and he needs to make an effort to fit in and contribute where the team needs him.

"I'm just trying to go play hard," he said. "If you see when I got hurt in the outfield, it was because I tried to do my best and just playing hard. I don't care if I get hurt in the outfield."

-Eloy, August 6, 2020 after his second IL stint.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/white-sox-eloy-jimenez-continues-to-run-into-things-in-left-field-and-that-should-cause-concern-in-chicago/

On 7/23/2021 at 10:29 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Its probably superstition on my part, but I hate seeing this thread pop up. I feel like this thread appearing in the top of the 1st page seems to precede something bad happening more often than not.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, about that...

While I get that we're all fans, and we can become irrationally exuberant, this team is no "juggernaut." This team is no "AL version of the Dodgers."

A "juggernaut" crushes and punishes both good teams as well as poor ones. By contrast, this roster, as currently comprised, bumslays effectively. But is this team even .500 vs good teams? Is it even .450 vs playoff teams? 

Now, perhaps once the injured players return, and perhaps if Hahn can patch the roster, maybe this team can become a "juggernaut." I certainly hope so. But its funny that this thread pops up after every run of bumslaying shitty teams, and then disappears after a tough series vs a good team.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

21 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, about that...

While I get that we're all fans, and we can become irrationally exuberant, this team is no "juggernaut." This team is no "AL version of the Dodgers."

A "juggernaut" crushes and punishes both good teams as well as poor ones. By contrast, this roster, as currently comprised, bumslays effectively. But is this team even .500 vs good teams? Is it even .450 vs playoff teams? 

Now, perhaps once the injured players return, and perhaps if Hahn can patch the roster, maybe this team can become a "juggernaut." I certainly hope so. But its funny that this thread pops up after every run of bumslaying shitty teams, and then disappears after a tough series vs a good team.

"irrationally exuberant"?

Like people enjoying a game is a bad thing.  GTFOH.

This is a playoff team, and people are going to enjoy that. Sorry that hurts your feelings on the 40% of nights when they lose.

Find something else legitimate to be offended by.