Jump to content
chitownsportsfan

The TLR Manager Thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

I went back and rewatched the 10th inning and listened to see if I had missed  Jason Bennetti or Len Kasper question the use of Liam Hendriks as the designated runner at second base.  They hadn't questioned it and Kasper told us that was the way it should work.  BENNETTI DID'NT KNOW!

Being that LaRussa is a American League manager and highly unlikely to have ever thought about a pitcher used in this situation, I find it ludicrous that he is getting so much criticism.  

My guess is it's coming from those that didn't want Tony to manage the Sox.

We lost because we have a couple people on our roster now that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.  

 

It’s not Benetti’s job to know the rules… it’s TLR’s job. And one of the “positives” of hiring TLR was that he’d won in both leagues. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

It’s not Benetti’s job to know the rules… it’s TLR’s job. And one of the “positives” of hiring TLR was that he’d won in both leagues. 

It's amazing how people think the announcers are the ones that should know lol. Might be the dumbest excuse I read over and over.

The league told manager in spring, not announcers. My goodness why do people carry water for larussa so much?

If rules change in my profession it is MY job to know that. If my bosses don't tell me and I fuck up because of it I can't blame my bosses for not holding my hand. If I am the one who attends to meeting or session regarding the rule changes and fail again its not on MY team for not reminding me. A part of jobs and careers in leadership is responsibility. The people in this thread who want to blame everyone but the guy in charge who was told about the rule is completely laughable. And there are way more rules in my career than the game of baseball and they change much more often than in baseball. This is all such nonsense. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 11:37 PM, tray said:

It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game who was running.

Maybe Abreu collides at the plate and is out for the season if he runs. Good decision then?

This topic is all about trying to hang Tony on a fucking technicality about a new (foolhardy)  rule.

The same people who have hated Tony from the outset are steeped in false outrage about what amounted to absolutely NOTHING.

Get over it and move on to the next little outrage.

 

Well, FWIW, by the time everything with LaRussa plays itself out, at the very least Reinsdorf won’t have to say firing LaRussa 35 years ago was his “biggest mistake” as owner.

The rehire of the guy may take its place.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

I went back and rewatched the 10th inning and listened to see if I had missed  Jason Bennetti or Len Kasper question the use of Liam Hendriks as the designated runner at second base.  They hadn't questioned it and Kasper told us that was the way it should work.  BENNETTI DID'NT KNOW!

Being that LaRussa is a American League manager and highly unlikely to have ever thought about a pitcher used in this situation, I find it ludicrous that he is getting so much criticism.  

My guess is it's coming from those that didn't want Tony to manage the Sox.

We lost because we have a couple people on our roster now that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.  

 

That argument has already been tried - Bell said that at spring training meetings this rule was reviewed.  It's not just Tony's fault however, is the entire staffs fault.

There is zero excuse for not knowing the rules of the billion dollar sports you are coaching. Every little thing can be the difference between winning and losing.

 

No one is saying its the biggest reason why we lost- but it didn't help and it's embarassing.

Edited by harkness99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

It's not just Tony's fault however, is the entire staffs fault.

Who is in charge of the entire staff?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Who is in charge of the entire staff?

Often there is delegation in staffs for certain things...

I'm not defending LaRussa - but he isn't the only person with a brain in the dug out (or the entire organization)

Who is really in charge is an interesting question...

I think you were going for a snappy come back - but really that's an over simplification (ive already said multiple times I think La Russa should know the rule - but there are others who failed as well).

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is it a “fucked up NL rule” exactly?  We play 10 inter-league games on the road.  And it’s not a complex rule at all.  I’m sorry but Tony is not deserving of a free pass here.

Having the pitcher anywhere other than the pitcher's mound. Batting, running,  all that is a NL thing. Then putting a runner on second to start extra innings is also a fucked up rule in my opinion. 

I understand you might like that stuff.

Free pass?  You mean because I'm not all pissed off and complaining? I got better things to do that get all worked up over a situation that may never come up again in White Sox baseball. But feel free to punish him all you want and not give him a free pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, champagne030 said:

This is garbage.  The FO wasn't able to look for their guy because our dumbass owner wanted to try and fix what he thinks was a wrong committed decades ago and hire his drunk and senile friend.

Amen! Well said!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Having the pitcher anywhere other than the pitcher's mound. Batting, running,  all that is a NL thing. Then putting a runner on second to start extra innings is also a fucked up rule in my opinion. 

I understand you might like that stuff.

Free pass?  You mean because I'm not all pissed off and complaining? I got better things to do that get all worked up over a situation that may never come up again in White Sox baseball. But feel free to punish him all you want and not give him a free pass. 

You've got better things to do than get worked up over this... better things like getting worked up about people getting worked up over this.

Amazing stuff.

  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You've got better things to do than get worked up over this... better things like getting worked up about people getting worked up over this.

Amazing stuff.

Not worked up at all. Just responding while videos are getting converted and uploaded. 

How are you doing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Often there is delegation in staffs for certain things...

I'm not defending LaRussa - but he isn't the only person with a brain in the dug out (or the entire organization)

Who is really in charge is an interesting question...

I think you were going for a snappy come back - but really that's an over simplification (ive already said multiple times I think La Russa should know the rule - but there are others who failed as well).

We're seeing this multiple times, in several situations. Players,  coaches,  and the manager just don't seem to be communicating. That falls on the manager's shoulders.  

Normally a manager taking responsibility and not throwing any of his coaches or players under the bus is a good thing. But here we have a manager whose competency is being questioned every day. He's not building any confidence in the fan base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We're seeing this multiple times, in several situations. Players,  coaches,  and the manager just don't seem to be communicating. That falls on the manager's shoulders.  

Normally a manager taking responsibility and not throwing any of his coaches or players under the bus is a good thing. But here we have a manager whose competency is being questioned every day. He's not building any confidence in the fan base. 

You think he'll quit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was incredibly bad timing for this situation.  A game that started in the morning, followed by an off day allowed this whole situation to stew.  If we would have had a game yesterday we would have had the opportunity to move on somewhat.  Instead we got 41 pages of TLR getting roasted over this....roasting that is 100% deserved in my opinion but he is not getting fired over this or most likely anything else so gotta try to move on and hope this team can overcome their injuries.  Gotta start that by taking this series against KC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We're seeing this multiple times, in several situations. Players,  coaches,  and the manager just don't seem to be communicating. That falls on the manager's shoulders.  

Normally a manager taking responsibility and not throwing any of his coaches or players under the bus is a good thing. But here we have a manager whose competency is being questioned every day. He's not building any confidence in the fan base. 

again though its more than that - and don't get me wrong I want Larussa fired.   This is a massive billion dollar organization will all kinds of moving parts responsible for many things - including stats/rules analysis ect.  Tony will get the main blame and he should - but he wasn't the only one who failed.. not even close.

 

how about having the foresight as an organization that you are hiring a manager that is 10 years out of the game and 76years old - who might need help with rules and analytics new to the game?

The failure in that game was born long before larussa helped fucked it up.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We're seeing this multiple times, in several situations. Players,  coaches,  and the manager just don't seem to be communicating. That falls on the manager's shoulders.  

Normally a manager taking responsibility and not throwing any of his coaches or players under the bus is a good thing. But here we have a manager whose competency is being questioned every day. He's not building any confidence in the fan base. 

 

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

You think he'll quit?

He won't quit, and it's pretty clear at this point that ownership is not going to be swayed by the opinions of the fan base, so he won't be fired either. Unless he's stupid enough to get another DUI, he'll be here at least through the end of this season and likely 1-2 more seasons.

The only thing that might change things is KW and Hahn going to JR together and telling him that either Tony goes or they both go, but even then JR might pick Tony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

You think he'll quit?

No. I think it's a long shot but if for some reason he does want out, I'm certain they will manufacture a health reason. 

Who on the bench would take over? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People keep saying "no one on the staff knew." Is that true? After the game it was all over twitter that the staff informed TLR "Hendriks will be at 2nd in the 10th" and Tony said "I know." By that measure it seems like the staff DID know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, who cares if the announcers didn’t know the rules?  They aren’t in charge of the in-game strategy.  And this idea La Russa should get a free pass because he’s an “AL Manager” is absolutely ludicrous.  It’s 100% unacceptable he didn’t know that rule and that has NOTHING to do with his advanced age, his 10 years away from the game, or his questionable character (the main reasons people didn’t want him).  If Tony was actually managing like a “Hall of Fame baseball person” most people would be fine with him right, but we simply haven’t gotten this elite tactician that we were promised.  Instead we’ve gotten a guy who been a huge detriment to the team and has been far worse so far than his predecessor many here (including myself) wanted to see fired.

I have no idea how anyone could be watching these games and still feel the need to defend La Russa, especially after his lack of awareness could have resulted in our highly paid closer getting injured.  And by the way, it wasn’t his lack of understanding of a rule that contributed to the loss, it was the many other decisions he made late in the game like having Leury steal and not putting Winker on 1st with an open base.  Our offense scoring zero runs and Tony making poor tactical decisions aren’t mutually exclusive and can both be reasons we lost the game.

Totally agree! The only people here going forward who still want to defend and rationalize TLR for his horrific managing decisions are simply Contrarians and Trolls. This hiring was a colossal mistake. Only loyal die hard Sox fans like us could be cursed with such an inept and senile owner that is pompous enough to make this type of absurd hiring.😟

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

People keep saying "no one on the staff knew." Is that true? After the game it was all over twitter that the staff informed TLR "Hendriks will be at 2nd in the 10th" and Tony said "I know." By that measure it seems like the staff DID know.

yeah but did they know he didn't have to be is the question as well... the bigger question even...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

People keep saying "no one on the staff knew." Is that true? After the game it was all over twitter that the staff informed TLR "Hendriks will be at 2nd in the 10th" and Tony said "I know." By that measure it seems like the staff DID know.

Wouldn't it have been better if someone on the staff said "whose running for Hendriks" Instead of confirming Hendriks was on second? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

yeah but did they know he didn't have to be is the question as well... the bigger question even...

This is the real question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

This is the real question.

yeah it seems they knew hendricks would be out there.. but no one in the dug out appeared to know he didn't have to be.

which is... 

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

I went back and rewatched the 10th inning and listened to see if I had missed  Jason Bennetti or Len Kasper question the use of Liam Hendriks as the designated runner at second base.  They hadn't questioned it and Kasper told us that was the way it should work.  BENNETTI DID'NT KNOW!

Being that LaRussa is a American League manager and highly unlikely to have ever thought about a pitcher used in this situation, I find it ludicrous that he is getting so much criticism.  

My guess is it's coming from those that didn't want Tony to manage the Sox.

We lost because we have a couple people on our roster now that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.  

 

Why though?

When I go to the doctor, I don't expect the secretary signing me in to be able to do complex surgeries.

When I got to the mechanic, I don't expect the person taking appointments over the phone to be able to overhaul my engine.

When I go to college, I don't expect the financial aid department to be able to give a dissertation on multi-verse theory.

When I go to the Sears Tower I don't expect the guy taking out the trash to know the physics behind the design of the antennas.

So why when I listen to a baseball game would I expect the pre/post game guys, and announcers to know what the manager should know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

yeah it seems they knew hendricks would be out there.. but no one in the dug out appeared to know he didn't have to be.

 which is... 

See the source image

Yup. You have to love David Bell in the media after making it very clear that the MLB stressed that specific rule change in Spring Training. I am imagining some MLB officials put a powerpoint up for the the team representatives and LaRussa was in the back of the room hamming it up with some former coworkers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×