Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Albert Pujols

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Angels did this on purpose to sabotage White Sox (as a fellow WC competitor, too)...knowing TLR would bite.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy Pujols was really not good at all in LA, compared to what they thought they were paying for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

So when is the presser for the signing then?

What does Hector Gomez have to say, haha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, T R U said:

Boy Pujols was really not good at all in LA, compared to what they thought they were paying for

They paid 240 million $ for 5 WAR over 10 years. Including -3 WAR in the past 5 years. People rip on Rick Hahn for bad FA signings, but those are at least somewhat cheap signings. Pujols basically handcuffed the Angels over the past 5 years.

Imagine paying $45 million per WAR over a decade. Yikes.

Edited by chw42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Sox usually feed Bob good info, it's just that we don't like it when we hear it.

 

now, when he editorializes stuff, that's a different story

Yeah, If Nightengale says its not happening, that's basically direct from JR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They paid 240 million $ for 5 WAR over 10 years. Including -3 WAR in the past 5 years. People rip on Rick Hahn for bad FA signings, but those are at least somewhat cheap signings. Pujols basically handcuffed the Angels over the past 5 years.

Imagine paying $45 million per WAR over a decade. Yikes.

The Angels and 27 other teams (Sox 29th, Miami 30th), have a better record than GM Rick Hahn’s White Sox. Miami’s Kim Ng is working to pass the Sox. She is much more qualified than JR’s crony FO.

At least Anaheim is trying by spending, and hiring managers with recent post season experience. Compare against the White Sox who went with the manager who became the last to intentionally walk Albert Pujols.

The Angels owner interceded to offer that contract in part to market the team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They paid 240 million $ for 5 WAR over 10 years. Including -3 WAR in the past 5 years. People rip on Rick Hahn for bad FA signings, but those are at least somewhat cheap signings. Pujols basically handcuffed the Angels over the past 5 years.

Imagine paying $45 million per WAR over a decade. Yikes.

Cue greg to say virtually all multi year big money deals turn out bad for the team. Pitchers ... arms falling off the modern pitchers who usually need TommyJohn at some point. Hitters generally aren't as good as they appear when signed to the amazing deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Cue greg to say virtually all multi year big money deals turn out bad for the team. Pitchers ... arms falling off the modern pitchers who usually need TommyJohn at some point. Hitters generally aren't as good as they appear when signed to the amazing deals. 

Most contacts are in the team's favor for the beginning,  the players favor in the end,  and kind of in the middle for a month or two one summer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Angels and 27 other teams (Sox 29th, Miami 30th), have a better record than GM Rick Hahn’s White Sox. Miami’s Kim Ng is working to pass the Sox. She is much more qualified than JR’s crony FO.

At least Anaheim is trying by spending, and hiring managers with recent post season experience. Compare against the White Sox who went with the manager who became the last to intentionally walk Albert Pujols.

The Angels owner interceded to offer that contract in part to market the team. 

But he was executive of the year!*

 

*voted by the executives with better records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Cue greg to say virtually all multi year big money deals turn out bad for the team. Pitchers ... arms falling off the modern pitchers who usually need TommyJohn at some point. Hitters generally aren't as good as they appear when signed to the amazing deals. 

There are also rumors that pujols is 3-4 years older than his birth certificate

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Angels and 27 other teams (Sox 29th, Miami 30th), have a better record than GM Rick Hahn’s White Sox. Miami’s Kim Ng is working to pass the Sox. She is much more qualified than JR’s crony FO.

At least Anaheim is trying by spending, and hiring managers with recent post season experience. Compare against the White Sox who went with the manager who became the last to intentionally walk Albert Pujols.

The Angels owner interceded to offer that contract in part to market the team. 

My comment wasn't there to try and cover for Hahn's failures in FA. It's more to show just how bad of a contract it was for the Angels. I would take Moreno as owner over JR any day of the week, but they've mismanaged the hell out of Trout's prime years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Cue greg to say virtually all multi year big money deals turn out bad for the team. Pitchers ... arms falling off the modern pitchers who usually need TommyJohn at some point. Hitters generally aren't as good as they appear when signed to the amazing deals. 

I think the Angels knew the deal was gonna be bad towards the end, a lot of the teams signing guys to big deals bite the bullet cause they think/know that they'll get value in the front-end portion of the deal. But Pujols basically had one good season for them before falling off a cliff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

There are also rumors that pujols is 3-4 years older than his birth certificate

Never heard that one before (#josecontrerassayshi), but if I’m remembering right wasn’t there a few whispers of PEDs as he walked out the door in St Louis?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T R U said:

Boy Pujols was really not good at all in LA, compared to what they thought they were paying for

That's why I agree with those who don't want decade-long contracts given out.  How many years did the Angels get a top producer?  He hasn't been exceptional for 4 years or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RTC said:

Never heard that one before (#josecontrerassayshi), but if I’m remembering right wasn’t there a few whispers of PEDs as he walked out the door in St Louis?  

He was a star who played for Tony LaRussa. What star who has played for Tony LaRussa ever didn't have those whispers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when we lose a tough game and have the next day off.  Seems like we haven't won in ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I hate when we lose a tough game and have the next day off.  Seems like we haven't won in ages.

Yep, a day+ to stew about Robert's injury, then another day+ to stew about yesterday's debacle, all in one week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ten year deal jams up your roster until you have to release the guy. The money is secondary. He has been hurting them for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Such a historic franchise, we had Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr, and now Albert Pujols! 

Don't forget Manny Ramirez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

 

Based on fucking what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

TLR 100%.

Nope...he might be mad and he might bad but he ain't crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was a star who played for Tony LaRussa. What star who has played for Tony LaRussa ever didn't have those whispers?

So could that be the answer to why Mercedes' is suddenly playing so well at 28? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×