Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Rodon

Recommended Posts

Too bad Sox didn’t get like a $5 or $6M option. Oh well. If he stays healthy and can pitch 180+ innings this year, even if/when the obvious regression comes, someone will pay him. And it shouldn’t be the Sox. If he somehow continues to pitch like a Cy Young candidate all season, 4/$60M is probably the floor and that prices in his history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Too bad Sox didn’t get like a $5 or $6M option. Oh well. If he stays healthy and can pitch 180+ innings this year, even if/when the obvious regression comes, someone will pay him. And it shouldn’t be the Sox. If he somehow continues to pitch like a Cy Young candidate all season, 4/$60M is probably the floor and that prices in his history. 

No way he would have agreed to an option. And with Covid cost part 2 I don't see teams going more than 3 and 45 with him. The injury history is scary and this is his one great season thus far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I believe the Sox have limited Carlos a little to hold down his innings, hence the 2 long layoffs between starts.  That said, they have 4 more years of control with Kopech.  0 with Carlos.  I believe they will act accordingly.

With this team that means they will likely blow it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still not convinced Rodon can stay healthy for a full season, he has never shown that to be possible. Maybe his delivery helps a ton but Larussa is still throwing him out there for 100+ pitches a game. I cant fault him for that as hes deserved every inning this season, but hes going to enter a workload he has never experienced before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course they’re going to treat Kopech differently, their World Series future likely ceases to exist without him.

Unless JR shocks the world and offers top dollar to the next Wheeler and actually gets him.

The Sox really are better off (assuming they maintain this same mid-market mentality and ownership group) with qualifying offers, ie., 3/$42-50 million range deals.   We certainly would be having some buyer’s remorse with Giolito extended for something like 6/$125-140 during the offseason.

Likewise, the way all of our starting pitchers have been going takes some of the pressure off Hahn to do something premature there.

Just wish they’d find a better Leury replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Im still not convinced Rodon can stay healthy for a full season, he has never shown that to be possible. Maybe his delivery helps a ton but Larussa is still throwing him out there for 100+ pitches a game. I cant fault him for that as hes deserved every inning this season, but hes going to enter a workload he has never experienced before.

when i was a kid, 40 starts and 250-300 innings were very common. The flame out rate of pitchers didn't seem much higher than today.

I wonder what would happen if pitchers were asked to pitch a little more. With medical procedures what they are today, there might not

be much of a price to pay physically. Teams with just a few good pitchers might be able to compete, and fewer pitching changes would speed

up the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really wish these threads had more details to the subject line.  My heart dropped assuming another catastrophic injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Flash said:

Any chance Rodon is back in White Sox uniform next year? Thoughts on what a contract might look like?

Too soon to say. Let's see if he can finish the season healthy. I must admit though, I'm happy for him. I think most of us didn't expect much out of him this year as the 5th starter. This is one huge bonus that wasn't expected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen people mention giving him a qualifying offer. Do we even know if that's going to be a thing any more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I've seen people mention giving him a qualifying offer. Do we even know if that's going to be a thing any more?

CBA is up...we shall see.  It’s the fallback option...until it’s not.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, zisk said:

when i was a kid, 40 starts and 250-300 innings were very common. The flame out rate of pitchers didn't seem much higher than today.

I wonder what would happen if pitchers were asked to pitch a little more. With medical procedures what they are today, there might not

be much of a price to pay physically. Teams with just a few good pitchers might be able to compete, and fewer pitching changes would speed

up the game.

Pitchers didn't throw as hard and even the ones who did throw hard didn't throw every pitch max effort as back then your number 8 hitting second baseman hit 5 homers a year so you would take a bit off and let him get out himself or hit a single, but today your 8th hitter can hit 15-20 Homers and thus pitchers go max effort every pitch. 

This of course comes at a cost of health but is the only way to succeed 

Edited by Dominikk85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, zisk said:

when i was a kid, 40 starts and 250-300 innings were very common. The flame out rate of pitchers didn't seem much higher than today.

I wonder what would happen if pitchers were asked to pitch a little more. With medical procedures what they are today, there might not

be much of a price to pay physically. Teams with just a few good pitchers might be able to compete, and fewer pitching changes would speed

up the game.

The difference is that the flame outs happened in the minors.  There were fewer teams and not as many pitchers were needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ejm3 said:

Too soon to say. Let's see if he can finish the season healthy. I must admit though, I'm happy for him. I think most of us didn't expect much out of him this year as the 5th starter. This is one huge bonus that wasn't expected.  

Hahn gets maligned alot on this forum but he deserves credit for re-signing him...and at a bargain $3M. He and Lynn (another excellent Hahn acquisition) have been 'lights out' and look to be the strongest parts of a very strong WS rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Hahn gets maligned alot on this forum but he deserves credit for re-signing him...and at a bargain $3M. He and Lynn (another excellent Hahn acquisition) have been 'lights out' and look to be the strongest parts of a very strong WS rotation.

The other starters are also Hahn "acquisitions."  Eloy and Robert are also part of what RH can claim the credit for.  Right now RH is undoubtedly working on our outfielder problem and I think he has earned our having faith in his ability to find a solution.  Most of us have a knee-jerk reaction to get the next available guy whereas Hahn goes about his business in a careful and productive way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashley Rodon is doing cartwheels right now. Her man is proving the haters wrong and is gonna get paid this off-season if he continues on a CY young pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Ashley Rodon is doing cartwheels right now. Her man is proving the haters wrong and is gonna get paid this off-season if he continues on a CY young pace. 

Ummm...this kind of seems like a secondary concern to the Sox having a deep run in the playoffs.  That said, they do go hand in hand for the moment.

The Giants, for example, have made a number of excellent pitching moves in the last 18 months and have the tight of payroll to absorb a $40-60 million contract quite easily.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 8:11 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I'm just glad that the Sox are getting 1 year of this Rodon. 

Yep. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  Enjoy this season and let him walk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You take the good you take the bad you take it all and there you have the facts of life...

My point is that Rodon is the converse of Robert. We lost a key piece to health which we didn't expect, but we gained one for health which we didn't expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox gained Rodon Lynn Vaughn Mercedes and Kopech minus Dunning to partially offset the OF casualties. Now Mendick gets a chance to help out in RF. The team has retooled and will rely on pitching to build a winning record. Hope for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Im still not convinced Rodon can stay healthy for a full season, he has never shown that to be possible. Maybe his delivery helps a ton but Larussa is still throwing him out there for 100+ pitches a game. I cant fault him for that as hes deserved every inning this season, but hes going to enter a workload he has never experienced before.

this is what they did with sale, writing was on the wall that they never intended to lock sale up long term.  rode hard, put away wet.  looks like that's the trajectory for Rodon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

You take the good you take the bad you take it all and there you have the facts of life...

My point is that Rodon is the converse of Robert. We lost a key piece to health which we didn't expect, but we gained one for health which we didn't expect.

Inverse/reverse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TJS made Rodon better, or so it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ptatc said:

The difference is that the flame outs happened in the minors.  There were fewer teams and not as many pitchers were needed.

Also even in the majors you forget most flame outs. Maybe then it was not declarated as ucl injury or labrum tear but you just heard "dead arm" and the guy was gone. 

 

We tend to remember the nolan Ryan's who pitched for 20 years and forget the guys who flamed out after two years so we think pitchers were more durable back then, but really those guys who threw 250+ innings for 20 years were 1%ers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×