Jump to content
Dominikk85

"sticky substances"

What should be Done on sticky substances   

85 members have voted

  1. 1. Sticky substances

    • Let pitchers go and it is a level playing field
      2
    • Ban all substances and enforce it
      32
    • Allow a standardized substance
      51


Recommended Posts

On 6/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Oops? He made a big fuss about this for years and then said he was going to use sticky substances so the MLB would do something about. Got himself a $100m contract doing it and now the MLB is doing what he wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Oops? He made a big fuss about this for years and then said he was going to use sticky substances so the MLB would do something about. Got himself a $100m contract doing it and now the MLB is doing what he wanted. 

Yeah people love to act like Bauer's been got. He begged the MLB to police this stuff. Talked specifically about the differences certain substances could make based on his experiments. Still nothing from MLB. Then he started doing what many others are doing and his spin rates increased exactly how much he said they could. Now he's not denying his own use (as opposed to whatever drivel is coming out of Cole's mouth) and holding the same opinion he's always had.

TLDR, Bauer brought the issue to light, the MLB ignored him, Bauer took that as his green light and Bauer won the Cy Young and a $100 million contract. The joke is not on Trevor Bauer who has been transparent and informative through all of this. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete Alonso seems to be on them MLB only cares because it’s CBA time train

  • Like 1
  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mqr said:

Pete Alonso seems to be on them MLB only cares because it’s CBA time train

When you think about his second part............. hmm mind blown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mqr said:

Pete Alonso seems to be on them MLB only cares because it’s CBA time train

well if I had a declining ISO every year to the point where I went from an elite power hitter as a rookie to a mediocre one by the time my FA was approaching I'd be salty too.  MLB adjusts the baseballs, thinking they do it for FA is beyond stupid.  Manfred isn't that clever by half.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Manfred isn't that clever by half.

Manfred is a genius when it comes to labor negotiating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mqr said:

Manfred is a genius when it comes to labor negotiating. 

Well if the players are this distrustful of management hopefully the Sox win the WS this year before the labor pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

well if I had a declining ISO every year to the point where I went from an elite power hitter as a rookie to a mediocre one by the time my FA was approaching I'd be salty too.  MLB adjusts the baseballs, thinking they do it for FA is beyond stupid.  Manfred isn't that clever by half.

Alonso is still only in what amounts to the end of his second full season, entering third year. 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid piece in The Athletic, covering pitchers with the highest increase in 4 seem fastball spin rate, 2019 vs. 2021. The top 6 have seen a 6%+ increase, more suspect than the next tier.

https://theathletic.com/2645556/2021/06/11/suspect-spin-rates-trevor-bauer-heads-group-of-pitchers-that-have-made-improbable-rpm-gains-in-2021/

  1. Trevor Bauer 17.1%
  2. Tyler Mahle 13.9%
  3. Walker Buehler 6.9%
  4. Dylan Cease 6.6%
  5. Tyler Glasnow 6.4%
  6. Joe Musgrove 6.3%
  7. Lucas Giolito 4.0%
  8. Tyler Anderson 3.3%
  9. Clayton Kershaw 2.5%
  10. John Means 2.1%

Cues Squeeze's Cool for Katz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Solid piece in The Athletic, covering pitchers with the highest increase in 4 seem fastball spin rate, 2019 vs. 2021. The top 6 have seen a 6%+ increase, more suspect than the next tier.

https://theathletic.com/2645556/2021/06/11/suspect-spin-rates-trevor-bauer-heads-group-of-pitchers-that-have-made-improbable-rpm-gains-in-2021/

  1. Trevor Bauer 17.1%
  2. Tyler Mahle 13.9%
  3. Walker Buehler 6.9%
  4. Dylan Cease 6.6%
  5. Tyler Glasnow 6.4%
  6. Joe Musgrove 6.3%
  7. Lucas Giolito 4.0%
  8. Tyler Anderson 3.3%
  9. Clayton Kershaw 2.5%
  10. John Means 2.1%

Cues Squeeze's Cool for Katz.

At least with Cease, increasing his spin rate was a stated goal for the offseason involving actual adjustments based on feedback from Katz.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could also end the Indians season.

 

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since this has come out our staff has kept humming along. So they’re either still using crap or we’re going to be alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading everything from Passan and Heyman, they're not gonna allow any foreign substances aside from rosin. All pitchers will be checked after they come out of the game or in between innings. Of course it's gonna depend on if the umpires want to enforce it. For a team that relies on pitching as much as we do, I don't think this is gonna end up being a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Reading everything from Passan and Heyman, they're not gonna allow any foreign substances aside from rosin. All pitchers will be checked after they come out of the game or in between innings. Of course it's gonna depend on if the umpires want to enforce it. For a team that relies on pitching as much as we do, I don't think this is gonna end up being a good thing.

OTOH RIP Cleveland’s whole staff

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Reading everything from Passan and Heyman, they're not gonna allow any foreign substances aside from rosin. All pitchers will be checked after they come out of the game or in between innings. Of course it's gonna depend on if the umpires want to enforce it. For a team that relies on pitching as much as we do, I don't think this is gonna end up being a good thing.

Hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just rosin is going to be intense. I didn’t expect them to eliminate it to just that.

Lets see if they stick by it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

OTOH RIP Cleveland’s whole staff

They were already dead to begin with. Although Karinchak may be in complete shambles. He's literally gonna be Wild Thing from Major League before he got his glasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys might have to go to other sticky substances

Cease.jpgs

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, southsider2k5 said:

This could also end the Indians season.

 

he was also hurt, so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starters will get periodic checks every game either between innings or after he comes out. Every relief pitcher will be checked after they come out of the game. So it looks like they're going to try to enforce it pretty hard. Manfred basically created this problem when they decided to make adjustments to the ball this off-season. Very few people had a problem with high spin rates before 2021 because home runs were through the roof. Now they're punishing pitchers because they deadened the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct answer is “Allow a standardized substance”. Or change something about the ball material that will improve the grip. 

next year- 1st offense: one month, no pay; 2nd offense- 3 months. That would stop it. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×