Sign in to follow this  
Heads22

2021 College Football

Realignment is back

Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC would be pretty crazy…can understand why A&M wants to protect their home turf.

Both those programs have surrendered t.v. rights through 2025.

Obviously athletes in higher profile SEC programs stand to make a bigger pie of the endorsement pie.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC would be pretty crazy…can understand why A&M wants to protect their home turf.

Both those programs have surrendered t.v. rights through 2025.

Obviously athletes in higher profile SEC programs stand to make a bigger pie of the endorsement pie.

Seems to be a byproduct of all the NIL stuff. Oklahoma state law requires OU and OSU to be in the same conference though, so we'll see if that has an impact.

I am not a fan of this new realignment at all.

I felt like college football was already losing some of what made it special, and it was becoming a focus on just the playoffs.

Now, when we turn to 2-3 mega conferences, that will be even more evident.

I also wonder, if you're a bottom half college football team in one of these conferences, especially one that moves to a new conference, what are you looking forward to?

And I really don't understand Texas' motivation.  They have been struggling to return to their glory.  How is being a midlevel SEC team going to make that any easier?

8 minutes ago, SexiAlexei said:

I am not a fan of this new realignment at all.

I felt like college football was already losing some of what made it special, and it was becoming a focus on just the playoffs.

Now, when we turn to 2-3 mega conferences, that will be even more evident.

I also wonder, if you're a bottom half college football team in one of these conferences, especially one that moves to a new conference, what are you looking forward to?

And I really don't understand Texas' motivation.  They have been struggling to return to their glory.  How is being a midlevel SEC team going to make that any easier?

Texas and Oklahoma get one game per year certain to get national attention when they play each other. You occasionally get Baylor or Iowa State having a great season, but those names just don't draw the TV ratings when they play Texas or Oklahoma. The SEC brings several huge ratings games per year, depending on how they structure the conference.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Texas and Oklahoma get one game per year certain to get national attention when they play each other. You occasionally get Baylor or Iowa State having a great season, but those names just don't draw the TV ratings when they play Texas or Oklahoma. The SEC brings several huge ratings games per year, depending on how they structure the conference.

Oklahoma also lost the yearly rivalry game with Nebraska.

Other than Ok State and Texas, not too many games on the FB schedule to get excited about except for occasional non conference like Ohio State.

Then sort of a rivalry with KU in basketball but pretty one-sided.

As to an earlier point, Texas A&M made sense to elevate their program and recruiting in the SEC, but doesn’t seem as much of an issue for UT.  Just seems to complicate their path to another NC game even more.

The other thing is that Oklahoma and Texas are going to quickly have to improve defensively or get run over…guess it also depends how long they can keep their head coach, so this move might be part of the thinking about staff retention.