Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Derek Lee already with 2 homers today.  I don't know what the f*** is going on with this guy.  He went from a below average/average first baseman to a triple crown guy.  It's like Sosa all over again.

There is arguably no better defensive firt baseman in the league. He is one of the fastest first baseman if not the fastest. Not many first baseman can go first to third like he can... he is also a pretty good base runner overall. Derek lee = paul konerko, their career number are pretty similar.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
There is arguably no better defensive firt baseman in the league. He is one of the fastest first baseman if not the fastest. Not many first baseman can go first to third like he can... he is also a pretty good base runner overall. Derek lee = paul konerko, their career number are pretty similar.

Obviously I know he is awesome defensively. I'm talking offense. It's not like PTI is talking about whether Lee can lead the league in zone rating and fielding percentage. What I meant was that he was always middle of the pack offensively when it comes to first basemen, and now all of a sudden he's blowing up.

Dont get me wrong..I hate the Cubs, but I dont think that should have been a homer. It didnt even it the top of the wall. But o well, Cubs lose  :D

They say it hit the green wall behind it but I just fail to see it in the replay.

The ball hit the yellow line. It was a homerun.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
The ball hit the yellow line.  It was a homerun.

Anybody else unable to stand how the rules vary from ballpark to ballpark as to whether or not the yellow line is a home run or is simply the top of the wall?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Jesus, D-Train just got his 12th win.  His ERA is now 1.76. :o

Just remember...the rule of thumb is you have to add roughly .9 to convert an ERA from NL values to AL values. No I can't find the article where that number came from...ESPN.com earlier this year.

His numbers put him right in with the best guys in the AL - Buehrle and Rogers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
Just remember...the rule of thumb is you have to add roughly .9 to convert an ERA from NL values to AL values.  No I can't find the article where that number came from...ESPN.com earlier this year.

His numbers put him right in with the best guys in the AL - Buehrle and Rogers.

NL teams are scoring more than AL teams this season, and in the past 30 years there has never been a single season in which the difference between runs scored amounted to .9 runs per game.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
NL teams are scoring more than AL teams this season, and in the past 30 years there has never been a single season in which the difference between runs scored amounted to .9 runs per game.

Would you say the difference is about a half run or so?

The Mets had an interesting record tonight.

Against the Yankees, the Mets became the first team in NL history to record 3 sacrifice flies in the same inning.

Yes you read that right, 3 in 1 inning. Bernie Williams dropped a fly ball, was counted for an error, but it still counted as a sac fly.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
"Cirillo placed on DL with fractured hand

Infielder expected to miss an estimated six weeks"

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=mil

I saw the pitch last night...late innings from one of the Twins relievers...nailed him...bounced off into the air, looked painful as all Hell.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Questions, with fantasy implications...

When is Schilling coming back?

Is Nomar playing?  If so, when?

Is Armando Benitez coming back?  If so, when?

Right after the All-Star break.

Nomar might be back in August, maybe.

Armando is the same as nomar excempt probably early Sept.

"Cubs are interested in Wilson"

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2829748

The Cubs are lovable, but no longer comfortable as lovable losers. With lofty expectations and growing frustration with outfield production, Chicago inquired again Tuesday about center fielder Preston Wilson.

The Rockies have shopped Wilson, a free agent at season's end, but the Cubs have shown the most interest, while also focusing on Oakland's Mark Kotsay.

Two factors emerged that could help accelerate negotiations. Wilson admitted before the game that he would be open to financial concessions to help facilitate a deal. And reliever Todd Wellemeyer, among the prospects the Rockies are seeking, was demoted this past weekend, perhaps influencing his availability.

"I have conversations with a lot of teams," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "I think you can understand why I can't get into specifics."

Wilson has $6.3 million remaining on his contract, a hefty price that looms large in all discussions. The Rockies want prospects - ideally shortstop Ronny Cedeño, who was called up Tuesday - and approximately $4 million in salary relief. It's hard to accomplish both, which is why Wilson's flexibility could play a role.

"If I have a chance to go win, I would do what it takes to help the team(s) to make that happen," said Wilson, who broke up Roger Clemens' no-hit bid with a 422-foot fourth-inning home run.

Outfielder Gabe Kapler and reliever Todd Jones deferred money owed by the Rockies to pave their exits.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry has a history of making big moves in July, but it's unclear whether Chicago would part with the type of young players the Rockies are seeking. The New York Yankees also are pursuing Kotsay.

"Cubs activate Wood; Designate Borowski"

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/new...t=.jsp&c_id=chc

The Chicago Cubs today recalled right-handed pitcher Kerry Wood from his rehab assignment and reinstated him to the active list. In addition, right-hander Joe Borowski was designated for assignment.

Wood was placed on the disabled list May 3 with a right shoulder strain. Prior to the injury, he had gone 1-1 with a 6.15 ERA in five starts.

The 28-year-old made three rehab starts for Iowa (AAA), where he recorded a 2.84 ERA. He allowed 11 hits and struck out 18 batters in 12.2 innings of work.

Borowski, 34, had seen action in 11 games for the Cubs this season - making his season debut May 20. The right-handed reliever opened the season on the 15-day disabled list as he recovered from a fractured ulna which he suffered in spring training.

Me thinks Borowski's career is over.

Edited by Jabroni

Both WildCard races are going to be real good this year.

You'll have, in the AL -- Oakland, Texas (assuming ANA takes the West), ChiSox/Minny, Cleveland, New York, Baltimore, and Toronto.

And in the NL, the only teams I can think of that have no shot are Cincy and Pittsburg. Arizona and Milwaukee are teams that have small-to-slim chances, but like I said, should be a fun couple of months...

"Quantrill and Stanton May Be Let Go Thursday"

http://nytimes.com/2005/06/30/sports/baseb...30notebook.html

By TYLER KEPNER

Published: June 30, 2005

BALTIMORE, June 29 - The veteran relievers Paul Quantrill and Mike Stanton appear to have pitched their last games for the Yankees. Hoping to make their bullpen younger, the Yankees could release or trade both on Thursday.

Quantrill and Stanton shook hands and exchanged hugs with teammates and club personnel after Wednesday night's rainout at Camden Yards. Quantrill would not comment after leaving the clubhouse, and Stanton said, "You can read between the lines."

Edited by Jabroni