Winter/Spring 2009-10 TV thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
I watched both finales, despite the fact that I saw almost none of either series (I often do that with big series finales of shows that I don't watch). Based on the quality of the actual episode, the acting, and the closure, I'd have to go with Lost being much better.

Well, you didn't have 6 seasons of Lost and 8 seasons of 24 to base the point on...

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Well, you didn't have 6 seasons of Lost and 8 seasons of 24 to base the point on...

I'm just pointing out some of the differences between the two finales. The main reason I never got into 24 was the acting. It always seemed really cheesy and almost cheap...bad acting, really.

I'm so annoyed that down here we're bout 4-5 episodes behind on 24, but at least they are showing the LOST finale tomorrow, even though I've already downloaded all of Season 6.

24 has never been as good as it was in the 1st season obviously (Season 6 was the death of the franchise IMO), but the main gripe I have about this season was of the lack of an enemy that you really hate. They waited too long to bring Charles Logan back IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
I still thought season 2 topped the seasons around it.

That's interesting, because I mean there's always going to be different opinions about who was better etc. To me Season 1 just had great actors for the characters etc. (Hopper as Drazen for instance), and I'll never forget Elisha Cuthbert early on wearing that red top. :D

I thought Season 2 became too confusing in the end (from what I can remember of it) with the different enemies etc. Killing Palmer's wife also, ended taking away one of the best characters on the show also.

I thought Season 3 had a LOT of potential early on, but when the 1st 12 hours or so basically counted for nothing, that ruined a lot of momentum it had going for it.

Season 4 and Season 5 were pretty meh I guess.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
That's interesting, because I mean there's always going to be different opinions about who was better etc. To me Season 1 just had great actors for the characters etc. (Hopper as Drazen for instance), and I'll never forget Elisha Cuthbert early on wearing that red top. :D

I thought Season 2 became too confusing in the end (from what I can remember of it) with the different enemies etc. Killing Palmer's wife also, ended taking away one of the best characters on the show also.

I thought Season 3 had a LOT of potential early on, but when the 1st 12 hours or so basically counted for nothing, that ruined a lot of momentum it had going for it.

Season 4 and Season 5 were pretty meh I guess.

Palmer's wife died in season 3. Are you sure you're not crossing seasons up? Season 2 was the first nuclear bomb plot combined with the cabinet-directed Coup against Palmer.

Dennis Hopper...I really wasn't impressed with his eastern-European persona.

Season 4 was decent but blah.

Season 5 was a ride, between Palmer being shot and the whole deal with Logan, but I think season 5 really hurt them in that they killed off so many of their good actors/actresses/characters in that first episode that they spent the next couple years trying to find pieces that they could assemble to make a working cast.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 25, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Season 1 - GREAT

Season 2 - GREAT

Season 3 - FAVORITE

Season 4 - Good

Season 5 - OK

Season 6 - Awful

24: Redemption Movie prior to season 7 - GREAT

Season 7 Very Good

Season 8 - GREAT

That's my quick 24 synopsis.

I quit watching about a third through season 7. I think seasons 1-3 are great and it basically went downhill from there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
Palmer's wife died in season 3. Are you sure you're not crossing seasons up? Season 2 was the first nuclear bomb plot combined with the cabinet-directed Coup against Palmer.

Dennis Hopper...I really wasn't impressed with his eastern-European persona.

Season 4 was decent but blah.

Season 5 was a ride, between Palmer being shot and the whole deal with Logan, but I think season 5 really hurt them in that they killed off so many of their good actors/actresses/characters in that first episode that they spent the next couple years trying to find pieces that they could assemble to make a working cast.

I probably am. For some reason I thought Palmer's wife passed in season 2 instead of season 3 like you said.

Hopper's been my favorite villian on the show besides Logan, and there's been some bad ones over the seasons.

Season 6 really sucked because they repeated some of the things they did in previous seasons (like the cabinet Coup), some of the storylines you couldn't really believe (Palmer's brother becoming president all of a sudden for example) and some of the characters were just terrible.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 25, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
I was pretty dissapointed with the Law and Order series finale, you would think after 20 years it would go out with more of a bang..

I'm pretty sure they were promised one more season from NBC and then NBC just pulled the rug out from under them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Season 1 - GREAT

Season 2 - GREAT

Season 3 - FAVORITE

Season 4 - Good

Season 5 - OK

Season 6 - Awful

24: Redemption Movie prior to season 7 - GREAT

Season 7 Very Good

Season 8 - GREAT

That's my quick 24 synopsis.

I pretty much agree exactly with this. Although season 3 was my favorite, season 8 might have taken over that spot. The most recent season would have definitely been my favorite, but the first half was weak. I would have to check out season 3 again before I picked a favorite.

I also have heard they going to get rid of the real time format for the movie. It will be interesting to see what Jack can do when he has more than 24 hours.

Read that Elizabeth Perkins is indeed done with "Weeds", but Linda Hamilton has signed on to join the cast in some capacity. Interested to see what she looks like. Probably not like T2 Sarah Connor.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
Episode of Breaking Bad tonight was just god awful. Worst episode they have put out by far. Only Walt and Jesse in the whole episode, no other characters, and the whole thing was about a fly in the meth lab........

Seemed like all the actors took a vacation at the same time, and Bryan Cranston and whoever plays Jesse were the only two wanted to work, so they wrote a bulls*** filler episode. Very disappointing.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Yeah, I was incredibly disappointed. First time I can say that about a Breaking Bad episode, so I've got to believe they'll come back strong. But tonight's episode was awful... no real plot or character development at all.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
My feelings exactly!

I have watched 24, first 4 seasons, Prison Break, Entourage, Jericho, Lost.

Currently watching Dexter season 1 and Breaking Bad as it goes.

Now I loved all these shows, I know I might be asking for a lot, but based on the shows mentioned can anyone recommend anything I should be watching ?

I disagree with all of you. The episode was brilliant. It was the first time in awhile I re-watched the episode again the next day. The dynamic between Walt and Jesse is so great, that I've been dying for scenes with them cooking together again. Both are great actors. Dialogue ranged from humorous and light (Jesse had more funny lines in this ep than ever) to very dark (Walt deciding when the best time for him to die would've been.) The directing and editing was especially good. There was pretty heavy symbolism, this was not simply about Walt trying to catch a fly

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
I disagree with all of you. The episode was brilliant. It was the first time in awhile I re-watched the episode again the next day. The dynamic between Walt and Jesse is so great, that I've been dying for scenes with them cooking together again. Both are great actors. Dialogue ranged from humorous and light (Jesse had more funny lines in this ep than ever) to very dark (Walt deciding when the best time for him to die would've been.) The directing and editing was especially good. There was pretty heavy symbolism, this was not simply about Walt trying to catch a fly

Of course not, but just because something has symbolism doesn't make it a good episode. It was fairly boring TV, and while I like seeing their dynamic, they really didn't progress the plot or characters at all (save for the very end of the episode). There wasn't anything learned in this episode that we didn't already know about Jesse or Walt, and if that's the case, what's the point of watching it?

Breaking Bad is consistently edited and directly incredibly well and this episode was nothing different in that regard, but the episode as a whole was a letdown. I still have lots of faith in them coming back strong next week, as this season has been excellent thus far outside of this last episode.

I have never seen a minute of Dancing With the Stars but I could probably predict the final 3 as soon as the cast is announced. What a joke of a competition.

OMG! A professional dancer won! Shocked.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)

Agreed completely. That episode will win an Emmy. It was fantastic.

I know I am a couple of days late, but I am really looking forward to the last couple episodes of Justified this season. So many conflicts going on, Raylan and Boyd, Raylan and his father, his father and Boyd's father, Boyd's father and Boyd. A lot of interesting stuff...