Gatlinburg

He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
The lady planned a trip to Gatlinburg next week for spring break. I'll be proposing there at some point, but other than that, what should I definitely do while there? Any restaurants that are can't miss? Thanks

Good luck, dude!

It's a giant tourist trap, so there are definitely plenty of restaurants, mini-golf, etc. Traffic can be really bad at times on the "main strip" (441) that goes north-south from Sevierville into Gatlinburg.

One of our favorites there is the aquarium - it's pretty good. If you have any interest in the outdoors, definitely head into Smokey Mountain National Park (http://www.gsmnp.com/) even if it is just to drive some of the better loops or the Newfound Gap road.

There's very little I'd call "Can't miss". Everything is sorta OK, aside from the whole national park. Depends on what you're into. You can get a very nice cabin or a cheap hotel and anything in-between. The restaurants are mostly ok, there's better ones down the road in Pigeon Forge. Parking is Hell. Check out the Ripleys places if you're into that. Everyone seemed to go for the pancake places for Breakfast/lunch, those were probably the closest thing to can't miss restaurants.

I would eat at the Cherokee Grill for sure. It's owned by the same guy who has a few places in Knoxville that I like to eat at, so I'm sure it's really good. They have their own microbrewery, so if you're into trying new beer, there are quite a few brews you could try.

And basically, everyone else covered the rest. It is incredibly "tourist-y" so be ready for that.

It's too cold for rafting, but if you like wildlife, Cades Cove is cool. It's a track in the National park that you can get in the fields with deer and see wild turkeys, maybe a bear, and so on. Just be careful of the road, take your time, it can be pretty rutted. Just make sure you have enough gas because there is not a gas station in the park area. My daughter just got back, said it was pretty boring (She's 22), but her and the boyfriend went to the Moonshine factory (?).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Its a tourist haven, there are a s***load of things to do there. You'll see when you hit the main strip.

They also have killer mini golf.

I haven't been there since I was younger, but that is all I can remember about it. Miniature golf as far as the eye can see.

QUOTE (hogsmom @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
It's too cold for rafting, but if you like wildlife, Cades Cove is cool. It's a track in the National park that you can get in the fields with deer and see wild turkeys, maybe a bear, and so on. Just be careful of the road, take your time, it can be pretty rutted. Just make sure you have enough gas because there is not a gas station in the park area. My daughter just got back, said it was pretty boring (She's 22), but her and the boyfriend went to the Moonshine factory (?).

Ah yes, they do sell legal Moonshine, so if you're into that sort of thing, I'd check it out. May I suggest a flavored moonshine like Apple Pie (my favorite) or something like that. Otherwise, if you get the Original flavor it will taste like straight rubbing alcohol.

Good trip so far. She said yes and I just met Brett and Deanna Favre playing Puttputt. No one recognized them, but me. Deanna was really nice, let us go ahead of them. Brett was on his phone clearing up some recent news it sounded like.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Good trip so far. She said yes and I just met Brett and Deanna Favre playing Puttputt. No one recognized them, but me. Deanna was really nice, let us go ahead of them. Brett was on his phone clearing up some recent news it sounded like.

Was he playing mini golf just like a kid having fun? Gunslinger mentality?