justBLAZE

Vacation/Travel Thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
We loved our time in St Lucia. Stayed at one of the three Sandals places on the island - you can then visit all three as you wish, there are shuttles. Mostly was fantastic, all-inclusive, but the food was kinda meh and you felt very disconnected from the local scene (which can be good and bad). Did some day trips to go sailing, took a boat to Martinique, went snorkeling, jeep tour, etc.

A place we almost stayed was called Anse Chastenet, and that's where we'd stay if we went again. Sort of the opposite of a Sandals resort - smaller and secluded, more luxurious but also open rooms that blend into the scenery instead of boxy buildings, more local flavor.

+1

The wife and I loved Sandles Grande St. Lucian. Went into it expecting 'meh' food, but were pleasantly surprised. I can't think of a bad meal that we had. But you should definitely see the rest of the island. We did a full day tour and also ziplined in the rain forest. Incredible experience.

I will be travelling to Greece this year for the 5th time. I have traveled a fair bit to the Greece, in particular the Greek Islands and Athens, however this year i will be starting in Thessaloniki, spending 4 nights there. After this, I have 7 spare nights, before I have to be in Mykonos. Seeing as I can't find a direct flight from Thessaloniki to Mykonos, I was thinking of making the drive down from Thessaloniki to Athens, where I would then go continue on to Mykonos either by ferry or plane. Should I rent a car in Greece?
Can anyone recommend any towns or cities along the way that are worth spending time in? I'm aware that its only a 5 hour drive but I would like to break it up a little, seeing as I have a week to spare.

Edited by Santti
  • Like 2

This needs to be bumped. I really want to know if @Santti ended up going to Greece or if that got 2020’ed.

My dream next year is to do Paris with just the wife and Bali with wife and kids, assuming this is “over” (ie a vaccine).

I went on a vacation today, to my living room.

Edited by hi8is

On 9/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, Dallas Kong said:

This needs to be bumped. I really want to know if @Santti ended up going to Greece or if that got 2020’ed.

My dream next year is to do Paris with just the wife and Bali with wife and kids, assuming this is “over” (ie a vaccine).

If you end up going to Paris, let me know. I only went for a day last year when I went to London for the Bears game, but I have a few tips.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

If you end up going to Paris, let me know. I only went for a day last year when I went to London for the Bears game, but I have a few tips.

Will do, thanks man! I went when I was a kid, but that was two decades ago and I just did whatever my parents wanted me to do. So I'm all ears for advice.

I've been an active RVer for about ten years now in additional to backpacking. It's crazy how RV sales went through the roof this past year. I'm wondering what the sticking power will be for new owners. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I've been an active RVer for about ten years now in additional to backpacking. It's crazy how RV sales went through the roof this past year. I'm wondering what the sticking power will be for new owners. 

This is a winner. In 2-3 years there will be some bargains to be had I bet. 

I had mine in for some repairs and usually they want it picked up in a week to ten days. This time my service guy said no rush our new inventory is down 80 units from normal with pre sales taking most that are coming in. Plenty of space for storage.

He laughed and said the only issue will be the sales guys wanting to buy your unit to sell. 

On 10/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, Texsox said:

I had mine in for some repairs and usually they want it picked up in a week to ten days. This time my service guy said no rush our new inventory is down 80 units from normal with pre sales taking most that are coming in. Plenty of space for storage.

He laughed and said the only issue will be the sales guys wanting to buy your unit to sell. 

I'm in the RV industry and getting building components during the pandemic is a real challenge right now.

6 hours ago, knightni said:

I'm in the RV industry and getting building components during the pandemic is a real challenge right now.

I've assumed Lippert, Furrion, etc are allocating components and doubted that Jayco suddenly decided that Goodyear Endurance should go on all their units if China was still shipping tires. Am I correct?

On 10/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, Texsox said:

I've assumed Lippert, Furrion, etc are allocating components and doubted that Jayco suddenly decided that Goodyear Endurance should go on all their units if China was still shipping tires. Am I correct?

Mostly, you're looking at slowdowns on many products - some overseas, but many domestic. It's supply chain issues.

I don't really wish to share more here - we can discuss it in another forum area if you wish.

Holy shit rental car prices have gone through the roof recently. They have doubled in a month. Even our flights went from $130 to $190 in about 2 weeks. 

I looked back at my trip to AZ in January of 2016 and my rental car was $13 a day. Now this trip to AZ my car is almost $50 a day. Insanity.