/Detroit

Steve9347

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)

At this point, I think the question is, is it worth saving?

It's a sad fall for a once mighty city, but based on how the very foundation of Detroit was built solely on the back of the manufacturing industry, which has all but collapsed in the US, I think the reason for the fall is more-so because it's outlived it's usefulness in the modern day than for any other reason.

In this case, I don't think it has anything to do with which party politicians ran that specific city, I think it would be having these same problems no matter who was in charge...as regardless of politics, the industry Detroit relied on in every regard has vanished, and Detroit has/will vanish along with it.

Chicago, on the other hand, has fallback industries, such as a booming financial district, a booming business district, etc. Detroit really had no such fallback of necessary scale.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Keep voting Democrat guys! We swear, it works!

Chicago is looking at this future as well, you could argue it's already here.

You are always looking to throw your partisan jabs at Democrats. We get it man. We really do.

SMH

I have a ton of HS friends in Detroit (all from the Ann Arbor area) that are all about saving the city and stuff. Essentially, they view it as a hipster paradise and want to bring in a really progressive culture to help rejuvenate the city. I have also seen them mention a lot about the Ilitch's buying out a ton of land and buildings in Detroit and they are worried that the city will be run by 2-3 companies/families and they'll be able to do pretty much anything they want to do. I would argue with them that it was that case for the most part anyways (big 3 auto) and any money being invested into Detroit right now is a good thing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
Essentially, they view it as a hipster paradise and want to bring in a really progressive culture to help rejuvenate the city. I have also seen them mention a lot about the Ilitch's buying out a ton of land and buildings in Detroit and they are worried that the city will be run by 2-3 companies/families and they'll be able to do pretty much anything they want to do.

I have seen the future and it is Robocop.

If they can rejuvenate it, I don't care if it's hipsters, progressives, old white gamblers, a fortress for gun rights activists, whatever. Better than having it sit there and rot.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
67 people shot in Chicago this weekend. Are we sure this isn't becoming Detroit 2.0?

Yet murders are down like 25% from this point in 2012. Last year they blamed the murders on the unseasonably warm weather. I wonder if this year they will credit the cooler weather with the decline in killings.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
67 people shot in Chicago this weekend. Are we sure this isn't becoming Detroit 2.0?

Well if by Detroit 2.0 you mean the violence, you are probably spot on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Yet murders are down like 25% from this point in 2012. Last year they blamed the murders on the unseasonably warm weather. I wonder if this year they will credit the cooler weather with the decline in killings.

Has nothing to do with weather. Animals will be animals until they are all dead or locked up. These people have no conscience. Give them all guns so the good ones have a chance.

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)

I still think armed national guard members on every corner of these bad neighborhoods with shoot to kill orders would fix this problem pretty quickly.

It will be interesting to see when one of these failed urban centers really tries something different. I wonder if a place like Detroit would be better served by breaking up into pieces to better manage the type of block by block rebuild and revitalization that is needed there.