OF Options

rhuesmann35

I've heard a lot of outfield options for some time now and I read a story today where the Sox maybe exploring trading top prospects to get the power outfielder they want (pictured Carlos Gonzalez). I'm not interested in needing to give up top talent for an outfielder so I wanted to ask a question. Do the Sox look at Ryan Braun as an option? He has power, OBP, still some speed and can play RF. His contract is not the best as it is 20M next 3 seasons and a 5 yr commit before opt out. My thought is he might be able to be had for lower level talent. Milwaukee has an overload of OF's and he is talked about as a trade possibility. I'm not promoting this, just asking the question to see what others think. Thanks

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have there been any reports from the national guys (sorry, the local guys don't seem to know very much) about which OF's are rumored to be on the trading block, and, if the White Sox are being mentioned? Cargo's name continues to come up as being available, and several people on this site continue to float that as an option.

Is trading for a OF a realistic option, given that the White Sox already have made 2 trades this off-season?

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I've heard a lot of outfield options for some time now and I read a story today where the Sox maybe exploring trading top prospects to get the power outfielder they want (pictured Carlos Gonzalez). I'm not interested in needing to give up top talent for an outfielder so I wanted to ask a question. Do the Sox look at Ryan Braun as an option? He has power, OBP, still some speed and can play RF. His contract is not the best as it is 20M next 3 seasons and a 5 yr commit before opt out. My thought is he might be able to be had for lower level talent. Milwaukee has an overload of OF's and he is talked about as a trade possibility. I'm not promoting this, just asking the question to see what others think. Thanks

In what publication was the story?

Here's the thing with Braun. I was on board with the idea a few weeks back when the idea first came up. Recently, I found out he had surgery on a herniated disc last October. Back injuries never go away, they just linger and eventually get worse. I doubt I would take that contract (5/105M) in a salary dump and there's no chance I would give up any prospects for him. Herniated disks are bad bad news for for anyone and especially athletes. Just say no to Ryan Braun.

Remember what back problems did to Joe Crede? Granted, he had two herniated disks but still, one is one too many.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)

I never heard what Brewers would want for Braun. No one seems too interested in him, it seems. Interesting thought, tho.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
In what publication was the story?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/23/lev...ries_vph-sports

I attached the article. I may be new but I have been around reading plenty of thoughts, ideas, comments, etc for years. I don't post many things because I don't have the time to get into petty little arguments that seem to happen quite often within topics. I realize there are many OF discussions and I posted because I had not seen any comments regarding Ryan Braun. My bad for missing but I don't have the time to religiously read every statement. I'll leave this for follow up comments if you like.

I do enjoy others thoughts, because many have very good information and it is White Sox related. Thanks

Also somewhat important to note - the 2 seasons he was on the juice, he put up nearly 1.000 OPS numbers. Since he (presumably) got off the juice after getting caught, over the last 3 years, his OPS is .825. Still better than what we've gotten...but that's a lot of money for a mid-.800s OPS with some ongoing downside risk.

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/23/lev...ries_vph-sports

I attached the article. I may be new but I have been around reading plenty of thoughts, ideas, comments, etc for years. I don't post many things because I don't have the time to get into petty little arguments that seem to happen quite often within topics. I realize there are many OF discussions and I posted because I had not seen any comments regarding Ryan Braun. My bad for missing but I don't have the time to religiously read every statement. I'll leave this for follow up comments if you like.

I do enjoy others thoughts, because many have very good information and it is White Sox related. Thanks

Thanks for posting the link. The main reason I have not thought that much about Braun is that KW does not seem to care for steroid users. I realize there are players on the Sox who have used PEDs. But the Braun thing was very public. So was Melky though. Possible I guess.

Braun had the procedure on Oct. 8 with the hopes of relieving a herniated disc in his back that caused him to miss 14 of the last 18 games of the season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...rgery/76374326/

I wish Braun the best but there's no chance I would trade for him. Huge risk with that disk and contract.

Here's a partial list of the veteran outfielders who may be available through trade:

Atlanta Braves: Michael Bourn CF, Nick Markakis RF

Cincinnati Reds: Jay Bruce RF

Col Rockies: Corey Dickerson LF, Charlie Blackmon CF, Carlos Gonzalez RF

LA Dodgers: Carl Crawford LF, Andre Ethier RF

Miami Marlins: Marcell Ozuna CF

Milwaukee: Khris Davis LF, Ryan Braun RF

New York Mets: Juan Lagares CF, Curtis Granderson RF

Oakland A's: Coco Crisp LF-CF

Philadelphia: Peter Bourjos CF

San Diego: Matt Kemp RF

At this point, I'm more intrigued by Yadiel Hernandez, the free agent out of Cuba. He bats lefty, and he has played both LF and RF (although I have no clue as to how well he plays defense.)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:25 AM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...rgery/76374326/

I wish Braun the best but there's no chance I would trade for him. Huge risk with that disk and contract.

i didn't know of that medical problem, that make it a whole difference in not getting him..... the yrs on his current salary.

forget about it, look else where.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Thanks for posting the link. The main reason I have not thought that much about Braun is that KW does not seem to care for steroid users. I realize there are players on the Sox who have used PEDs. But the Braun thing was very public. So was Melky though. Possible I guess.

Melky Cabrera didn't get suspended for drinking milk. Didn't he trade for Manny too? Q also has a mark on his resume of them.

I don't want Braun if he has had back issues. I like the idea of Yadiel Hernandez from the few things I've seen mentioned about him, just not sure how realistic it is for us to sign him. But he has legit skills getting on base, plus he's a threat on the bases. .937 OPS over his career so hopefully that translates if he signs here.

You guys are right about the herniated disc being a deal killer. In recent years, two well known players had surgery for this, Todd Helton and Rafael Furcal, but they were never the same, and they had a ton of therapy. Seems like there was a third player, can't remember his name.

Can't give up anything of value.

Has Braun had the surgery?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
You guys are right about the herniated disc being a deal killer. In recent years, two well known players had surgery for this, Todd Helton and Rafael Furcal, but they were never the same, and they had a ton of therapy. Seems like there was a third player, can't remember his name.

Can't give up anything of value.

Has Braun had the surgery?

Yes he did, last October Ryan had the surgery.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
http://riveraveblues.com/2016/01/recent-fr...gardner-132721/

Article mentions White Sox and if Erik Johnson would be enough for Gardner.

If Erik Johnson is enough, I think it would be a good deal. What he's owed over the next couple years would probably be close to what Dexter Fowler would cost. However, I'm not sure the Yankees would think Johnson would be enough.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
http://riveraveblues.com/2016/01/recent-fr...gardner-132721/

Article mentions White Sox and if Erik Johnson would be enough for Gardner.

dang, it is not going to be enuf, even if the yanks are doing a salary dump.

i would hope to give offer EJ, Beck and Davidson.... power hitter in the yanks park, that might be enticing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)

i would hope to give offer EJ, Beck and Davidson.... power hitter in the yanks park, that might be enticing.

I don't think anyone would want anything to do with Davidson...but you never know. If he's ever traded, it might be in a package like you suggested. But Johnson and Beck might be too much for Gardner, at least from the perspective of the Sox.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)

We may disagree on Eric Johnson's potential, but who would replace him if we make that type of trade?

Gardner makes over $13M this year, and is 32 years old. He is a nice player, but does not seem worth that kind of deal.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
I don't think anyone would want anything to do with Davidson...but you never know. If he's ever traded, it might be in a package like you suggested. But Johnson and Beck might be too much for Gardner, at least from the perspective of the Sox.

from a sox perspective, you may be right, however look at this from the yanks perspective.

ref davidson, his power is enticing, maybe just maybe some other team can think they can fix him. ref to adding Beck, the yanks want to start saving money, and beck being another pitcher, they will be able to look for the future. i was thinking instead of beck, i was thinking of T. Lowry. - sp.

but if the ocst is not too much, the fix will be worth it, if any pitcher less than fulmer and adams.