Illinois High School Football Thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:22 AM)
Was at Marist game at soldier field tailgate was very cool. Will probably hit a couple more.

Their problem is they are not good enough to compete in 8A especially after a loss or two in the regular season.

I hear you. Somehow Marist made the final last year though. if Marist can do it, maybe one of these years? I do think Dino will have to improve. You face a strong strong defensive team and they pick off some of those ill advised passes and you lose. Case closed.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
Since 2002 has Lincoln-Way Central ever beaten Lincoln-Way East? I think the answer is no.

Lincoln Way East has 120 kids on varsity. They could split their team in half and make the playoffs with both teams. Lincoln Way Central is better as they've received some players from East. East received all of the players from Lincoln Way North. West is also good. We play all three schools this year. LWE would be my pick for the 8A state title but it's obviously early.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Only week 1 so hard to make predictions. Based on performances, I'd pick either BR or Maine South. Both with tough week 2 games.

Maine South plays Loyola this week and Barrington next week and then doesn't play anyone after that. It's a weak conference. LWE plays Brook, HF, Thornton, and Bradley Bourbonnais. Rice plays a really tough schedule typically but St. Rita and Providence are both down. Should be interesting.

Sorry to make this the Brother Rice thread but I'm addicted.

Rice tonight beat Crete, 61-44. I watched most of it. I should say the officials should be ashamed or is this the new trend in h.s. football? For games to take 3.5 hours or more? The pace of play was ridiculous. Both teams threw the ball a bunch even though Rice's Xavian Valladay rushed for 278 yards and five TDs. Trust me they threw a ton. But it just seemed there was no pace in getting to the line of scrimmage and getting off plays. The game just crawled along. The refs need to do something

Anyhow, this is a very bad sign for Rice. It's hard to win state with a sieve-like defense. You aren't going to simply outscore the great teams. I thought Rice defense was excellent vs. Marist. Maybe it was just the kids being overconfident after the Marist game. Maybe Rice will use this to get better.

But I stand by the edict you win state championships and league championships with defense and discipline. I love Brother Rice's 2-0 record and the way the kids seem to be nothing but class, but I have some doubts after this high scoring slugfest.

Anyhow I won't criticize kids ever. So I'll just congratulate Rice on a victory and Crete for not giving up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)
Here is a new one, my HS team puts two players back on punts. The person who wasn't receiving the punt signalled for a fair catch in a trick play. No penalty called on the field, is that right?

I would think it's a penalty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Here is a new one, my HS team puts two players back on punts. The person who wasn't receiving the punt signalled for a fair catch in a trick play. No penalty called on the field, is that right?

The Bears did this several years ago. Of course they were called for holding, but other than that, it worked to perfection.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
The Bears did this several years ago. Of course they were called for holding, but other than that, it worked to perfection.

First thing that popped into my head when I read that. I've seen it done one or two other times since but that Bears game was the first time I had ever seen it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Rita beat MC last night. Tad surprising.

Holy cow. How can Rice be expected to hand MC a two-game losing streak? When's the last time Carmel lost two in a row? I'm dying to watch Rice play in person. This would be a good weekend to fly in. Rice game then Sox.

QUOTE (staxx @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
Lincoln-Way East back on track after HF loss.

Still think they should be a favorite for the title.

I coach at Lockport. We played HF last week. They are very good but definitely beatable. A team that can keep scoring can get them in the playoffs. Their defense isn't great and they do dumb things quite often. Their QB is special though. LWE was my pick for the 8A title preseason but their loss to HF was alarming. They are trying to play their QB and the LWN QB and it's tough getting in a rhythm with two guys back there. We play LWE week 9.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
Holy cow. How can Rice be expected to hand MC a two-game losing streak? When's the last time Carmel lost two in a row? I'm dying to watch Rice play in person. This would be a good weekend to fly in. Rice game then Sox.

Greg with a home win Friday, the last week of the season could pit 8-0 Loyola v 8-0 Rice at Rice......Loyola does not travel well......of course Rice has to get past Carmel and Rita neither of which are what they used to be.

If the Rice QB continues playing like he has, they could be the best team in the state along with HF, Loyola and LWE.

That Lockport conference is an absolute beast.

The CCL Blue gets a lot of recognition but other than Rice and Loyola the other teams make their noise in the lower classes of the playoffs.

There is a huge difference between 6A and 8A in the state playoffs.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
Greg with a home win Friday, the last week of the season could pit 8-0 Loyola v 8-0 Rice at Rice......Loyola does not travel well......of course Rice has to get past Carmel and Rita neither of which are what they used to be.

If the Rice QB continues playing like he has, they could be the best team in the state along with HF, Loyola and LWE.

The CCL Blue gets a lot of recognition but other than Rice and Loyola the other teams make their noise in the lower classes of the playoffs.

Our conference lost Lincoln Way North and Both Joliet Schools this year. We should send 8 teams of the 13 to the playoffs though. HF should be 9-0. LWE probably 8-1 and Bradley-Bourbonnais will also win 8-9 games. Lockport, LWW, and LWC should all be in that 6-7 win range. I think Thornridge will make it at 5-4 as well and Bolingbrook is fighting for their playoff lives from here on out. Stagg, Andrew, Sandburg, Thornton, and Thornwood are all pretty down but a very tough conference.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)

Nice post.

Quick everybody will Rice beat Carmel tonight? Give me a score BEFORE the game.

Now I see what u mean about Brian Badke's coaching. Rice led 14-7 and had the ball 4th and 1 at the 20 yard line or so. They had the QB go under center even though they never do that and not only did the QB get no surge the center got hurt right before half.

Carmel took the ball 80 yards and scored and its 14-14 at the break. I think I'd have kicked the field goal since Rice has a good kicker.

We shall see if Rice has good halftime adjustments like they've had in the other games.

UPDATE: Rice won 49-42 in a thriller. Rice's good running back got injured and was limping badly in the handshake line. It was a great high school game. Rice's defense did reek on this particular night, but did get two stops late.

Edited by greg775